Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

It's odd how very few people understand tat - but I do ;)

I've got a 5x5 deal to kick off the year after being decidedly lazy over the holidays. It's something reasonably new so it's keeping the boredom away.

I've been trying to take it easy as my backs in pretty bad shape, but I'll be back training at weekend in wrestling and am considering going back to rugby on Wednesdays as it's right outside my house and would give me a more entertaining cardio workout.

I've got two weeks to really enjoy myself as I might go back into a normal job at the start of next month which would screw up the routine.

What upsets me more though is that I'm actually losing my belly. I was beginning to really enjoy it being there :(

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My new gym, while convenient, is very much on the small side, and there is no squat rack. I need to figure out a new leg routine.

3. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Hi chickens!

Ran 3 miles in 26:33 on Monday night. This is one of, if not the, best times I've had for a 3 mile run. :)

4. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Well I've been lax about posting but I did go XC skiing on Saturday, aerobic weight-training on Sunday, pilates on Monday and weights yesterday.

Tonight I'm planning on throwing in a salsa dvd for fun. :)

5. Laren

Laren Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got back from my gym. Today's workout was really weird. When I was on the elliptical, my heart rate was all over the place. First it dropped to the low 130s and then it went up to the 180s when it should have been in the 150/160s range. :confused:
    Since I didn't feel dizzy I still finished my routine and feel fine now.

6. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Admiral Admiral

I leg-pressed 800 lbs / 8 reps tonight!

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Awesome!

My legs are so sore...I love it.

RAMA

8. DarkHelmet

I know what you mean about the legs.. love that soreness.

Yeah, it was 740 in plates, and the machine says the sled is 60. I felt insanely burly!

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I never count the sled with leg press.

RAMA

10. DarkHelmet

Usually I don't but it made for a nice round number. :) Either way, 740, 800... for me that's a PB.

'Sides, I've seen people - mostly women - use just the sled as resistance. So it can "count" for something.

11. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forget the cycle. Took up boxing instead. Yeah!

12. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Hey fitness chickens!

Well I skipped the salsa on Wednesday - me bad.

I'm back on the wagon now though:
    Thurs: pilates
    Fri: 40 min on elliptical
    Today: Upper body weights + lower body with the torture device known as the magic circle.

I'm bummed because I was supposed to go XC skiing today but it's too dang cold!

Perhaps I'll throw that salsa dvd in tomorrow. :)

13. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Yesterday I went a bit overboard in the gym, I was there for a few hours, I had a lot of energy and stuff to work out, plus I was having a good time. It was the close of my 2nd week on my 14 week program that I planned out for myself, and I was pretty damn happy with myself.

So, I tested my limits with weight on a few exercises, to see not only I was ready to increase the weight or if I just wasn't working with enough to begin with.

All said, a very good day at the gym yesterday, but a bit sore today.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I did legs Saturday and back tonight.

For legs I did:

Leg Press: 1x12 warm up, 810lbs; 1x10, 900lbs; 1x10, 990lbs; 1x10, 1080lbs; 1x8, 1170lbs; 1x8 1260lbs

hack Squat: 1x12 warm up, 450lbs; 1x10 540lbs; 1x8 630lbs; 1x8 680lbs; 1x8 680

Leg extensions: 1x12 200lbs, 1x8 280lbs, 1x8 360lbs, 1x8 400lbs, 1x6 400lbs

Hamstrings: Standing leg curl 5 sets

(I worked on calves twice already this week)

Back night: Lat pulldowns: 1x12, warm up 210lbs; 1x10, whole stack, 1x10 whole stack; 1x10, whole stack, 1x10 220lbs

Seated cable row: 1x12, 240lbs; 1x12 250 lbs; 1x12 250, 1x12 250lbs, 1x10 250lbs

Hammer Strength rows: 1x12 4 plates; 1x10 6 plates; 1x10 8 plates; 1x10 10 plates, 1x10, 8 plates.

Shrugs: 120lb dumbells, 4x10-12

RAMA

15. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I know I'm 2 weeks into my program, but I haven't started working on my legs yet besides the running on the treadmill.

I'm kinda nervous about it so I've been putting it off for a while, I broke my back in 5 places when I was 15 and even though it's been 12 years, I'm still kinda weary about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I did legs for the first time in over three months last Friday and I am still paying for it. Squats: 3 sets of 8, Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 8, walking lunges: 3 sets of 8, and standing calf raises: 3 sets of 8.

Note to self: Don't ever take 3 months off from doing legs again.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Kicked into high gear. Did a set of bench presses 315x12, 365x8 during a workout and it was easy.

RAMA

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Lots of drunk happened the last week for me, so I'm gonna call that a set back.

Oh well, I had my fun, and it was totally worth it. Now back to grindstone...

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I ripped my second button down shirt in 3 weeks, I must be getting bigger...ugh, nice shirts too.

RAMA

20. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

joined a gym a couple weeks ago . . . it's great because I go past the place on my way home from work, so under absolutely no circumstances can I use the excuse "too out of the way"/"don't want to drive that far" etc :D

been doing treadmill . . . nothing too exciting.
    avg about 2.7 mph started at 15 minutes and then 20, 25 and did 30 minutes yesterday and even managed a 4mph jog for about a minute towards the end

I'm about 275 at the moment, and for years and years I've been pretty sedentary, so it's taking my muscles and tendons a while to get used to it :lol: