Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Steranko nails it. And he, better than anyone, should know.
    Frankly, the Hasselhof version was better.
    Though for my money...
    [​IMG]

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cutesy and fun with material such as this doesn't entail a flop. Consider Men in Black, for crying out loud.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Alien metal" could be a reference to the Destroyer, which they recovered pieces of in New Mexico and reverse-engineered into the gun that Coulson used in The Avengers...and that metal would be Uru, the same metal from which Thor's hammer is forged.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

That and the 7pm airing helps kids watch too.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It's 8 PM in the Eastern time zone. Though that's still early enough for family viewing.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Was there a teaser at the end of the pilot after the credits? The last scene I recall was the flying car bit.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No.

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it's 7pm for me in Central and the first hour of prime time in any case.

10. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, he kind of lost credibility after that remark.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually in my mind the movies (and SHIELD itself, thanks to Jackson's presence and gravitas) were all a lot more grounded and serious than this TV series was. They all had their light and jokey moments of course, but not to the degree we see here, where the characters are all joking and making wisecracks every 5 seconds, and the tone is light and cutesy as hell-- almost to the point of being a cartoon.

I'm not asking for this to be another dark and gritty 24 or anything, but it would be nice if the show at least took itself a little more seriously.

13. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Steranko has since clarified on twitter (his twitter account is (mostly) AWESOME) that he would have liked for one of the actual heroes of the story to be black instead of the shady guy in the hoodie, but the P.C. thing remains a very strange statement that smacks of racism. It didn't help that he later tweeted, "Imagine if Andrew Dice Clay would be cast as Luke Cage!" referring to SLJ's casting as Nick Fury.

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Square-Jaw and Wen Ming-Na both being reluctant heroes does not double the power of the cliche, it halves it. Nerd and Nerdette seem to have two major modes of characterizations, pointlessly squabbling with each other alternated with finishing each other's sentences. The C-cup street waif gets an origin story as yet another reluctant hero, which more or less takes the cube root of that theme. If Whedon et al. have such a problem with heroes, write something else.

I don't care about the continuity with the Avengers, and I don't care if "Coulson" is a robot, a clone, a zombie on brain pills, a hologram, an android, a typographical error.

I'll try again next week, the second pilot.

15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not really sure what people were expecting with this show. I thought it was quite good, but a little bland. There's no homey set like The Library, Serenity, or The Hyperion. The characters are bland and I can barely tell them apart. However, there's nothing inherently wrong with the show. It just needs a little time to find itself and I'm sure it will get there sooner or later.

16. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Seems doubly odd since he was an original character, and they had a blank slate for casting him with no preconceptions from the comics.

Um...Robert Downey, Jr....?

Is it safe to assume that we can put this guy in the "loving it" category?

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um.

Read more comics.

You have a LiMiteD understanding of what's certainly happening.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, I was ambivalent about this show going in, but I was quite impressed. The supporting cast does lack a bit of charisma, but they're pretty good and Coulson has enough charisma for everybody. I was surprised and delighted that they actually populated the show with heroes and not fashionably twisted, drug-addicted, child-molesting, serial-killing, morally bankrupt and otherwise fucked up anti-heroes (and, yes, that was a little poem). Quite a shocker, since even Marvel corrupted all their characters a while back. And there was no shocking death of a major character at the end. Is the world finally growing up? Nah, doubt it.

But the show is off to a really good start (albeit with a couple of questionable moments, like Coulson drugging Ward) and I'll keep watching for the time being. I hope they can hang on to the positivism and optimism in the midst of this Dark Age-- and maybe even inspire a little light.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I re-watched it with closed captions and I could still barely follow Fitz and Simmons exchanges.:lol: Although, without the CC, I never would have caught the Harry Potter reference.:lol:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013