DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh, duh! I read his entire Cap run :lol: It was great up to Reborn, then it became insufferably boring.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The new reboot with the Queen Hydra is actually pretty good even if the first few issues were pretty slow. And his Winter Soldier is just amazing.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I read I think 7 issues of the new Cap series before I finally gave up. The villains were incredibly lame and uninteresting, and once the McNiven art was gone, there was no point staying.

4. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Brubaker also did the "Gotham Central" series for DC, together with Rucka.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed he did...I completely forgot. Spoilers for Justice League #7...Rich is comparing the 52'Verse Justice League to the Authority, which is an interesting comparison. Steve Trevor seems to be their spokesperson, and his demeanour reminds me of Jack Hawksmoor a bit. Damn it...I might have to pick this up...this is a Jim Leeless issue as well.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/21/the-justice-league-are-the-new-authority/

I'll be picking up the following today:

-Batman #7
    -Supergirl #7 (this is this one's last chance for me)
    -Wonder Woman #7

6. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Today: Justice League, Wonder Woman, Red Hood and the Outlaws.

7. Hound of UIster

Batman 7
    Wonder Woman 7

8. Admiral_Young

Another Greg Capullo interview...is it just me or have Snyder and Capullo done a lot of talking about Court of Owls in the last month or two? It seems like they're doing interviews every other week!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/greg-capullo-scott-snyder-batman-court-of-owls.html

Interesting goings on in "Batman" with the Court of Owls story arc. Snyder really seems to be making an effort to cement them into Bruce's past and the mythos. I am guessing that all of this is a precursor to whatever the "game changing" arc is going to be later in the year.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03...hing-you-thought-you-knew-was-wrong-spoilers/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This week I have:

BATMAN #7
    DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #7
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #7
    LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #7
    NIGHTWING #7
    STAR TREK LEGION OF SUPERHEROES #6 (OF 6)
    SUPERGIRL #7

10. Hound of UIster

This has been pretty evident since Gates of Gotham even more so with All-Star Western.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a single DC book this week.
    Was there a Dark title? If so my LCS was out when I went at Lunchtime.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Batman
    Catwoman
    Wonder Woman
    Supergirl

13. Admiral_Young

Justice League #7: Did I just flip through a good Justice League issue? I think I might have done just that. Interesting things revealed in this issue, the first present day 52'Verse issue of the book. Steve Trevor is part of some kind of special metahuman relations task force and also liasons with the League. We're introduced to the New 52 version of Etta Candy. Batman is still an ass, Hal is still a stupid ass, and I liked the Trevor/Diana relationship played out in the book. Jim Lee was missed in this issue.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

15. Admiral_Young

Heh. Mr. Segmented Costumes! The art really was terrible in the issue, oh and I actually dug the Shazam back up story.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I didn't care for Billy being an ass. I wish the Gary Frank who drew the old Supergirl series was on the art.

17. Admiral_Young

Yeah...that part bugged me. That seems to be a theme with Johns right now...his characters being asses.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, seems like the people claiming that Hal being characterized as a dumbass was just him being young and brash were wrong. That's absolutely the way he's going to be written in this book. Kinda weird that Johns is writing Hal two different ways in the two books he's writing him in. I mean, Hal's not exactly a genius in Green Lantern. He's been getting led around by Sinestro a fair bit, but he's not a complete jackass moron that thinks only with his dick. And yeah, what the heck is up with Billy Batson being an asshole, as well?

I like how Nightwing's plotline got tied into the Court of Owls. Looks to be the first of what will probably be several retcons to bring the Owls into Batman's past. This one I'm pretty cool with, though, as it's actually an interesting story, and doesn't really change anything major in Dick's origin (that we know of.)

As for Batman, well, great as ever. This has been the best book in the New 52 since its inception. The owl killing the iconic bat was a fantastic bit. I do wish I hadn't had to read an identical scene twice in both Batman and Nightwing, though.

Finally, John Stewart has gotten off waaaaaaaay too easy for killing his fellow Lantern, last month.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i was just about to ask what you guys thought about the Shazam back up. i didn't care for Billy's attitude either. i assume once he gains power he'll become a better person. though, i always liked it that Billy started out as a good kid and the power didn't change him. i'm a Captain Marvel fan and at this point i'm not sure what to make of this new take on the character.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Granted, I've not read a whole lot of Captain Marvel, but he always seemed like the super nice guy of the DC Universe. He's always shown smiling. That's why he was so effective in Kingdom Come. It was "Holy crap, Luthor corrupted Captain freaking Marvel?" Turning him into a jerk just seems wrong.