Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I agree. 350m-400m is bigger than 290m or 305m. It's just not some ridiculous figure like 750m.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Enterprise is fucking huge! You'll see it in the movie.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

725 actually but yes, she big.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why shouldn't it? Why and how to they pick sizes and shapes for ships in Trek's world? The Enterprise is a goofy shape.

How do you explain or justify the Nova (small), Intrepid (medium) and Sovereign (large) classes, all versions of the same basic shape?
    You repeatedly said 350m for the new Enterprise's overall length. I gave you a little more, 366m, the stated concept design size. Now you're telling me it's not enough to fit?
    Basic perspective, as taught in high school art. I even drew a comparison.
    There would be room enough. As I said before, we see the deck heights in the corridor junction.

5. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It WAS called a Dreadnaught in the film.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

The hatch Kirk and Harrison 'fly' into the Vengeance was on deck 13, which was in the centre of the engineering section.

Unless that ship has very limited decks (IE big spaces in between) then the Vengeance is the size of Voyager...

7. BillJ

Okay?

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The decks do seem to be excessively tall.

9. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

that deck is especially massive... i'm remembering Scotty running across it and still not seeing the top of it :lol:

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the star drive seemed to be devoted to automation and machinary, we see them running through server farms where there should be crew stations, probably why the ship can operate on such a tiny crew.

So it looks like the decks down there are huge in order to carry...something. Weapons, troops, other unpleasant things to deploy against a planetary population.

11. WarpFactorZ

Here are the figures I cited at the beginning of this thread:

- Primary hull diameter = 238 m
    - Secondary hull length = 189 m
    - Total length (excluding nacelles) = 343 m
    - Height = 97.5 m
    - Max. width of secondary hull = 45 m
    - Max. height of secondary hull = 39 m (measured from base of neck)
    - Width of hanger deck (at doors) = 26 m
    - height of hanger doors = 8.5 m
    - Bridge viewscreen / window = 8.5 m
    - Round porthole window diameter = 0.6m
    - Diameter of "bridge" dome = 9 m
    - Bridge diameter = 18m (assuming it fills the space between the two "side" windows)

Based on the measurements I made of the diagrams you provided links for, that's what it was, assuming the hatches were 2.5m in diameter. Make them an unusual 3m, and you have a hanger deck of width 32m, and a bow-to-stern length of 410m. Still nowhere near near 725m.

Again, your drawings show nothing except a biased "guess" of where the wall ends to suit your argument. I think you're mistaken that they actually modeled the inside of the rooms to match what you see outside. More likely, they simply superimposed an image of rooms through the window.

I see hallways that are about 10ft tall according to the interior shots, consistent with a typical building. What are you referencing?

Look, I'm really not against it being "slightly" bigger than the original size. But over 700m? That's just not sensible, and is simply BIG for the sake of being "BIG!!!!"

12. Irishman

I was doing the rarest of internet things - agreeing with your point here. :)

13. BillJ

:eek:

Didn't you know that's not allowed here at the TrekBBS! :p

14. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

This. And perhaps the decks on the Vengeance are divided into various levels.

15. WarpFactorZ

Well, wouldn't that make them separate decks?

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Only if each and every deck had exactly the same height, with no spaces extending over multiple levels.
    See it like that: Deck 13 (Engineering/Hangar-deck), Level 4.

17. Irishman

Yes. I'm prepared to be banned.

18. Groknard

Groknard Ensign Newbie

Yep, that's mine. :lol: Wow, I suppose I need to go back and finish that, right? Sorry, life kind of went screwy at the end of 2009.

I just wanted to pop in on this and say that my rendering is completely based on my own imagination, and this same debate that was taking place back in the summer of 2009. I had bigger (ha) plans for this image, but I've never gotten any further with it. Beyond the plan, the big thing for me was to a) show that it was conceivable that the ship was as big as they were saying it was, and b) to find a place for what all we had seen in the 2009 film.

After seeing the movie last night, I've got a whole bunch of new locations to figure out.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

^ Unfinished or not, you did a fantastic job. Extremely well detailed. Thanks. :bolian:

What doesn't make sense about it? Starfleet has built much bigger things, so that's not an issue. The ship being twice the size of the Enterprise doesn't make a whole lot of difference in space. What specifically is your objection to the size of the Vengeance, and to the Enterprise being larger in an alternate universe?

20. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

What's ridiculous about it? At 750 meters, Kirks Enterprise is has EXACTLY the same dimensions as the Enterprise-C; the singular difference between them is actually the length of the nacelles beyond the engineering hull.

Is there something I don't know about the Enterprise-C that makes it "ridiculously" large?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.