The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh no :(

2. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I am 85% convinced that this is for Captain Pike,Also notice the planes that fly across them at the end. that tribute is only reserved for admirals, presidents, governors and senators.

Spock at least NU-Spock is not up there yet.

it is definitely Pike that Kirk is paying tribute too.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Obviously he's in the movie, but was Chekov missing from the teaser, or did I just not see him?

4. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Kirk: I want to think my mom and dad, I'm sure they're looking down and smiling. I also want to thank the Academy, and Admiral Pike. Also, my third grade teacher... *Kirk drones on for the next 3 hours, putting the audience to sleep*

5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, what a read-through that was!

Couple things to start of with - the hand on the camera side of the salute scene is more likely Pike because, notice the sleeve cuff matches the turtle-neck sweater-esque tunic he is seen wearing elsewhere. Kirks uniform is more 'formal'.

Regarding the red structure, (besides reminding me of the KHC building) at high enough resoulution appears to be set on water.

[​IMG]

Just bringing it because I didn't see it mentioned yet. How wild would it be if this crap were spreading on Earth?!

Next, I found a few quick frames in the teaser which cannot be seen at regular speed:

[​IMG]

The Enterprise, after entering the water from a far distance sneaks up on it's prey before bursting out from below in a surprise attack. That's my theory.

6. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Well, IGN blew it in their speculation. Elizabeth Dehner was not the cute blond tech Gary Mitchell set up with James Kirk.

Didn't they cover the events of WNMHGB in a comic, and aren't the writers of this comic tied into the continuity that JJ Abrams is creating for this alternate reality? If so, this excludes either Mitchell or Dehner from consideration.

There are other contenders.

For myself, personally, it seems that many of the Big Hollywood Movies in the last few years have been about villains exacting revenge on the good guys. In the last year alone, there has been The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Men in Black 3, Dark Shadows, Snow White and the Huntsman, and Skyfall.

7. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

I agree with just about everything you said.

A few further thoughts (sorta spoilery stuff ahead, though nothing that you can't get from the trailer, the synopsis or the few things that the actors and Powers That Be have said):

The reason why The Wrath of Khan was able to be about Khan's wrath was because Kirk had wronged him way back in "Space Seed". Well, Khan's never been wronged in the Abramsverse. He escaped Earth voluntarily. He probably hasn't even been woken up yet. So Cumberbatch's character going on about "vengeance" does nothing to help the "It's Khan!" case; if anything, I think it hurts it.

Though they aren't canon, the IDW comics are meant to be consistent with the film, having received oversight by Orci. I've only read the first couple, but Gary Mitchell does appear, and his death does not really seem set up for a comeback. (Also, the comic book version looks nothing like Cumberbatch and resembles Gary Lockwood [who, holy shit, also played Frank Poole in 2001; never realized that] much more.)

Also, from what we've seen so far, the film seems to be focusing more on what we my call domestic issues and stuff like loyalty, corruption and family. Going up against a pseudo-god like Mitchell (or even Khan, to a lesser extent) seems inconsistent with that focus. I feel like there would be more emphasis on being "up against impossible odds" were they going with Mitchell.

We see Cumberbatch in a Starfleet uniform. Though this isn't conclusive evidence of anything, Khan never was in Starfleet, and it looks like this film isn't going to have narrative space to set up an infiltration like that. And the way he carries himself in that uniform definitely reminds me of Garth and not Khan or Mitchell.

Cumberbatch has also said that his villain is neither purely good or purely evil, that he has understandable motivations. What if Starfleet did something, and Garth, a captain equal to Kirk in greatness and renown, believes action must be taken? Just like all those time Kirk, Picard, and Sisko went rogue-ish, only this time, Garth turned out to be wrong. Would be a great commentary on moral relativism, and seems to me consistent with what TPTB have said about the film thus far.

As for the business at the end of the Japanese trailer... could mean sooooo many things, many of which probably would make more sense within a narrative than rehashing TWoK. Also, if it were a rehash, then Spock would die, and Quinto (ha, almost said "Nimoy") has said he will be back for a third film. They won't rehash TSfS, not gonna happen. (Okay, maybe it will, but I really, really, really doubt it.) Uhura being momentarily consoled could easily be at an end-of-film memorial service for everyone who died in the villain's attack. (Admiral Pike?)

I'm saying it now: Benedict Cumberbatch will play Fleet Captain Garth of Izar. And it will be awesome.

8. Sheridan

Sheridan Lieutenant Red Shirt

The "superhuman" jump could be because of lower gravity, not powers.

9. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Well, it's working. But, I don't mind because I'm also very entertained, and it's all in good fun!

10. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I haven't read the comic, but from the synopsis I've read Dehner doesn't appear in the comic version. It's possible they were told to leave her for the movie. Or the writers just left her out to change the story slightly.

Comic spoilers I guess:
    http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/11/gary-mitchell-strikes-back-idws-star-trek-2

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New villain. Old motivation. New FX. Old plot.

Pike died. New blonde. Starships are waterproof. Who the Hell is Cumberbatch playing?

While others are thinking War of the Worlds when they see the pink stuff, I'm reminded somehow of David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr.

It's definitely a must-see film for this spring, but it's impossible to figure out what's going on based on this montage.

12. Sheridan

Sheridan Lieutenant Red Shirt

The warp nacelles on the ship crashing into the water look like something from a TOS-movie era ship.

13. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ad Mitchell: Honestly, why does he have to have the same background as TOS-Mitchell? His having a British accent could easily be explained by... "his family moved to London when he was young" etc. So that would really be a non-issue, not even worth mentioning IMO.

But since history changed with nuTrek... who says that Mitchell ever went across that barrier? He's not on Kirk's Enterprise, and I doubt he was on Pike's since he and Kirk are roughly the same age in TOS. Perhaps it really is another issue with him that's closer to home.

Another thing that just came to me: What if the whole revenge plot centers around Kodos? We know that TOS-Kirk witnessed the massacre, did nuKirk as well? Cumberbatch can't be Kodos, of course, but maybe he's one of the survivors of that massacre (losing his family) and now takes his revenge on Starfleet who didn't react back then...

Oh, I love speculating... *lol*

But then we already just had the villain avenging his wife - that was Nero's motivation after all.

14. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

The possibilities are endless.

Gary Mitchell seemed like a perfectly nice guy, until his unfortunate encounter with the Galactic Barrier. If that tragic voyage doesn't happen in the new timeline, Mitchell doesn't become a glowing-eyed douche.

15. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Khan escaped Earth after his empire was defeated. After millions dead....He has nothing but hatred for the inferiors who bested him, as evidenced by his trying to kill Kirk and take control of the Enterprise in Space Seed. Getting the Enterprise was only the first step.

Until more comes out, I'm leaning with Mitchell.

16. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Alice Eve rocking the blue again, her eyes are slightly different colors, interesting what you see on close ups.

http://i51.tinypic.com/118d8pj.jpg

[Still a bit overlarge for inline image - converted to link. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  17. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's Ensign Riley, pissed off because Kirk cancelled the ship's Karaoke Night.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

My reaction is one of "meh." I admit that it's an excellent trailer on its own merits, but to parallel the sentiment of others, it's basically the same one I've already seen four or five times in the last year. I get that it's supposed to be for non-Trekkies, but I just can't get too excited over it.

More importantly tough, it seems like revenge is the only motivations movies villains have left. Look at the short list:

Avengers: Revenge
    TDKR: Revenge
    Skyfall: Revenge
    TF3: Revenge

And at this point, given the history of the characters involved, one can only assume MoS is going to be about revenge.

Plus, we go back through all the genre films of the last decade and find at least 50% of them are about revenge.

It's the mustache twirl of the 21st century, and I'm seriously starting to get sick of it.

Revenge is a dish best served with popcorn, Milk Duds, and excessive CGI.

19. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

So, with the WoK style sequence, the hands, could it be Pike and Spock, after Pike rescues some cadets from "an old Class J starship"?

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

You know what, I hadn't consider that. They've already gave a nod to the wheelchair in the last movie, they could kill him on off in this one.