Season 1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by EnriqueH, Apr 23, 2015.

1. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

So I've watched the first 7 episodes of Voyager for the first time since each of these episodes premiered back in 1995.

I remember enjoying the first season, but I was curious how I would feel about the show 20 years later especially after all the bad word of mouth that the show gets.

I have to say that I am enjoying it. I do like the characters of Janeway, Chakotay, Paris, and The Doctor. I actually like Kes and Harry Kim. Torres is ok, so far. Neelix is hot and cold. He comes off as a sort of mild Jar Jar Binks, but he can also be mildly ok.

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I got first in contact with Voyager when I visited my relatives in California 1995. They were at the beginning of season 2 at that time. I´m from Germany and hadn´t heard about Voyager before. Later on they have shown Voyager on German TV, with dubbing.

It is odd, but season one hasn´t much appeal for me. The pilot, where the ship is drawn into the DQ is great. And the episode B´Elanna is split in two parts of hers: klingon and human.

3. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I like season 1, simply because everything is still so new with the two crews, EMH, alien tourists and soon to be revealed Cardassian spy.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like season 1. "Caretaker" is a great pilot episode and most of the other episodes are great. "Emanations" is the only bad episode, "Elogium" is also rather weak (I count it as a season episode since it was filmed in season 1) but the rest are great.

5. EnriqueH

Yeah.

At the moment, the characters and the way their relationships are evolving are the strong points of the first 7 episodes, at least for me.

It's kinda cool how the Starfleet and Maquis types have to learn to work together and begin to form relationships.

This is the show's strongest point. The relationship stuff tends to be more interesting than the actual plots, in general, I find.

I neglected to mention Tuvok in my original post. I'm still on the fence on how I feel about him, but I think that's because he hasn't really fetured in much of the action yet. However, I just finished Ex Post Facto, and although the episode was ok, I did like that we saw a little more Tuvok.

BY THE WAY, with the exception of the Sulu episode, I haven't seen Voyager beyond Season 1, so I'd appreciate no spoilers in this thread.

6. Janeway7trulv

Janeway7trulv Commander Red Shirt

It took some time to warm up , but i loved Season 2. Janeway ( Mulgrew) was coming to into her own and she really stepped up her game . I also liked Season 1, but Season 2 she was getting into her groove and by Season 4 she was smashing it.

Looking back i kinda miss Janeway being the certain of the series - although i thought Seven was a good edition to the show,i felt Janeway needed as her Spock and as that added balance to Janeway .

I do not mean it in the sense of competition because no one could be superior to Janeway - in my option. I mean in the sense of those beautiful ,poignant, tender, juicy story lines that Seven/Janeway characters to immensed in

I loved and miss that..It certainly an iconic series :techman:

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I like the first stretch of episodes at the beginning of the season. Toward the end of the season it lost some steam.

8. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I definitely enjoyed season 1. I'm up to season 6 in my rewatch and the show is really great. There's no season I felt was particularly bad, although I didn't like that episode set in 90's LA... but even that had some cheesy charm to it. Everybody's always ragging on Voyager but I really like it.

9. Janeway7trulv

I second that. For me, it was a combination of the physical look of Mulgrew as Janeway . Now im do not mean to offend- yet again ;), but the expanding waist of Janeway made it hard for me to take her seriously. It was like watching you grandmother trying to command. It just not happening:wtf:. I also thought the storylines was stupid and oh i soooo hated that bloody " More Airtime for Seven of nine" bullshit.. I mean pleassse - like we havent had enough of her already:rolleyes:..Tsunkate and the episode which was entirely devoted to Blanna was a pile of sh!t. Voyager lost me by then.. Thank god for Endgame which bought me back - even if it was short lived :(

10. Lynx

Season 2 is my definite favorite. I like almost all of the episodes.

Season 1 is also great and season 3 is good too.

11. Janeway7trulv

Season 4 for real.. Yeaaaaaar of helllllllllllll..Omega direcccccccccctive...Bloop Bloop Bloop!!! the besttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!! :techman::techman:

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 1 started off with so much promise. There was some nice character/relations work done, plus there was also the need to stop and resupply, etc.

Unfortunately I find it starts going downhill from S4 onwards, which is a shame--it had so much potential. But that's just my opinion.

13. Lynx

I agree. Not to mention that something special was missing in the later seasons too. :weep:

14. Tiger Devil Dog

Tiger Devil Dog Captain Captain

I thought Kes was rather boring. I was glad when they replaced her with 7. Paris was my favorite character or season one but The Doctor is my favorite of the entire series.

15. EnriqueH

Yeah, I just finished Season 1.

Neelix has a "Jar Jar Binks" quality, capable of ruining perfectly fine scenes. I like the idea of a morale officer and someone who can function as a Gamma Quadrant advisor, but Neelix can get annoying FAST, especially if he's trying to be funny.

Fortunately, they don't use him a lot.

I know Kes leaves the show soon (don't remember why, so please no spoilers), but I actually prefer Kes to Neelix.

16. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

We would worry about you if you didn't prefer Kes to Neelix. ;)

17. Lynx

Kes is a great character.The show lost a lot when she "left". :weep:

18. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 1 is OK but Season 2 is my favourite. There's a sense of continuity with Seska and Tom's pretend malcontent behaviour plus it has some of the best episodes

Season 3 seriously drops in quality for me (and presumably for others since they felt the need to bring in Seven)

19. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I really don't understand why everyone seems to hate Neelix. Although he sometimes comes across a little clumsy, he's a very serious character that isn't half as funny as he appears to be. And Ethan Phillips did a fantastic job playing Neelix!

Jar Jar Binks on the other hand was a pure comic relief with no personality or importance whatsoever.

20. Lynx

I must state I don't hate Neelix.

I can joke about him sometimes but I don't hate him, in fact I like him.

Why? Because the character had more depth than many people realize.

His whole "comical" behavior was actually a result of a terrible trauma in which he lost his whole family. To cope with that horrible experience, he took on his duty to help, to cheer people up and to be as useful as possible for the Voyager crew.

OK, he was overdoing a lot of things which gave the opposite result of what he wanted and he screwed up his relationship with Kes. But that was also a result of the trauma which affected him deeply. He was a very complex person.

To compare him with Jar Jar Binks is wrong. Jar Jar was a stupid fool, only there for comical reasons. Neelix was much more, actually a tragic character.