What do you predict STID will make worldwide?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Mar 19, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

We had a lot of fun with this before ST09 so I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about it. We're less than two months away now. What do you predict the worldwide gross will be? Feel free to add any breakdowns you like.

Personally, I was dead wrong about the first movie, I projected it would make slightly more than the pattern of the favorite ST films, I believe it was somewhere around $160-180 million. Of course it went on to make $385 million and over $120 million+ on DVD/Bluray.

So here goes:

Opening: $85 million
    Domestic: $325 million
    Foreign: $180 million
    Total: $505 million

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

$600 million.

It'll likely struggle in international markets.

3. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

I'm thinking a theatrical worldwide gross of about $400m-$450m. It does have to compete with Iron Man 3, after all.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Butt load.

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Is that metric?

Because a metric shit ton is different from a regular shit ton. :p

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Probably 500 million dollars worldwide.....I know some fans are saying the film will make a billion dollars at the global boxoffice but that seems a little farfetched.

7. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I think the opening will be around 110-135 million.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Depend on the ratio of dialog rich scenes to action scenes.

Most people find a excessive amounts of subtitles to be a pain in the ass, and will tell their friends who haven't yet seen the movie. Reviewers comment on it too.

When Uhura was stripping off her clothes in the last movie, few likely were looking at the bottom of the screen to see what she was saying.

:)

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Kirk & catwomen + Cumberbitch frenzy = box office mojo.

Though that's only part of formula.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping the involvement of Cumberbatch, the rest of the British actors and the London setting will hike up the UK box office take. And in Japan too, due to Cumby's superstar staus there. I'm also hoping all the Star Wars fans around the world will come along to see what their new God is capable of.

That said, I'm a little concerned with how quiet things are around here. It does not bode well.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

There's this thing called dubbing.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

We've been discussing it for four years now. Not sure there's much left to be said until we have the actual product to dissect.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

$700 million worldwide.

I'm feeling optimistic.

14. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Hey King Daniel, Speaking of Cumberbatch been British, You and I are living in England at the moment, which means we get the advantage of seeing the film first .I assure you not to worry, things won’t be quiet around here for long.

As for box office, I won’t be surprised if trek over takes Ironman. A lot of people might be Ironman fatigued because of Avengers. With Iron man we all know what to expect, Trek is still a bit off a mystery.

I also never thought that Skyfall will out gross Breaking Dawn 2 last year....So yeah, Trek may just defeat Iron man.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's reasonable. I'm going to put the opening a little higher at around $100 million because a lot of Trek fans will fork out the cash to see the film in IMAX which is more expensive and pushes up the box office take. And a lot of Trek fans will pay the extra cost to see the film 2x in IMAX - I'm guessing in the same week it opens.

So, $100 million opening weekend - $500 million Domestic - $750 million Total.

16. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Marketing of this film seems to be stronger than the first one.

I too. :techman:

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Between 500 and 600 million.

18. wekkuli

wekkuli Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

ST09 did $385m worldwide; the reviews were superb and there was more hype than now (especially internationally). I cannot think this movie will make any better unless the reviews are extremely good. For now, I think STID will do around $350m worldwide.

People were interested in ST09, because it was the first Star Trek movie since 2002 and JJ got it mostly right. It was the 'hot' movie for its time. This time?

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hmmm...JJ seems to think they've really upped the International hype, especially considering their 40 minutes previews?

I think they'll get near $500M Worldwide

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

For what it's worth, in the April 2013 issue of British movie magazine, TOTAL FILM, they include a multi-page Summer blockbuster preview. In it, they finish each preview with a predicted global box office figure. STID is forecast to take $810m. Personally, I think that's probably just a tadge optimistic. For comparative purposes, they have Iron Man 3 set for $710, Fast 6 at $680 and The Lone Ranger bringing up the rear with $580.