Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I liked the first episode, but I have to be one of those people (just cause i'm me) and compare it to the book. I don't think the changes are drastic or overwhelming, mostly. I just think that Big Jim and Junior Rennie seem a lot smaller on screen than I imagined when I read about them. (I guess they couldn't get John Goodman and Abraham Benrubi to play the parts. oh well...)

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting start. I could do without the teen creep but oh well.

3. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I've read the book a while ago. Thus far, I like what I've seen, but dragging it on for more than one season will get old fast.
    I do hope they change the ending to give a longer and better thought out explaination for the dome.

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the first episode. Will hold off on reading the book until the show is done.

5. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

That... poor cow. :wtf:

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Ratings are in

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My wife started telling me things that are different in the book. I told her to stop. I had enough of that shit with Thrones. :lol:

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

People that do that piss me off. It's a TV and a book, they will always be different.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You guys are just gonna have to put me on your ignore lists then...

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ignore lists are for pussies.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think talking about the plot of the novel in the thead is fine, but it should be put under a spoiler box.

We still don't know how closely the show will be following the novel.

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well so far they've taken severe left turns away from huge chunks of the book, and it's only been one episode. They've stuck to some major plot points, though. The outsider (Barbie) is one of the focal points of the story, Big Jim is already scheming, and a major part of the scheme is propane, and the Sheriff gets dusted by his pacemaker going blooie.

I'm not expecting them to abandon the original story entirely, but I knew they'd change things going in, and I (desperately) want them to change the ending.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pacemaker going blooey means that they can power shit off the dome if they can figure out the correct medium.

Is air getting in and out?

Or do they have to be careful about how they treat their plants?

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The real longevity test will be the number of viewers lost after episode two airs.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The big advantage this show has is that it is the only new show out right now on Monday nights on network television. It is going to probably do much better than it would have done if it had premiere in the fall like everything else. CBS is treating this show like a cable series, premiering it in the summer and only giving it 13 episodes.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

CBS is going to rerun the pilot this Sunday night for those that missed it. Checked an online listings site and it will be 9PM for me.

You might have a different time, so check your local TV listings.

19. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dream, I don't think you're excited enough for this show. You're going to have to step it up ;)

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the mystery surrounding the dome itself was handled really well, and they did a good job making it's arrival seem genuinely creepy and ominous.

But unfortunately the characters and their various storylines just seemed a little too fake and cheesy to me. They never felt like real people, but instead the same kind of generic and artificial types you see in Revolution or Terra Nova or something.

I might keep watching for awhile, but I have a feeling as the story develops they're going to focus less and less on the dome and more on the cheesy characters, which is probably when I'll lose interest.