how do people feel about robert orci and Kurtzmen returning?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Sep 18, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Good point--and one I had forgot about. The Federation (Earth especially) seems paranoid as fuck when it comes to augments and the science behind them.

Cause they've got their magic one shot cures. "Oh you have some super alien virus that is completely rewriting your DNA! the ships is doomed!! *40 minutes and a mouthful of technobabble later* ~hsssss~ There all better."

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, can you really blame them? :p

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

All based on Augment blood (Shhhhh, don't tell anybody)

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Yeah true... I'm glad I had this little chat. The Khan blood thing doesn't bother me so much any more.

5. Yanks

:lol:I'm allowing "Khan bleed over"

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Sort of shoots that whole "enlightened humanity" concept full of holes, eh?

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Enlightened doesn't mean stupid, IMO. I think Earth's zero tolerance towards genetic augmentation stems from it being proved extremely dangerous more than once (Khan may not have been the only--nor the last--Augment who tried to take over the world).

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

There's a difference between banning the creation of Augments/Super Humans and a total ban on genetic research and modification like we see on Earth/in the Federation. It's bigoted paranoia and short sighted.

9. C.E. Evans

Not if it has a proven track record of always producing world-dominating tyrants.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Again: You're tossing out the baby with the bath water. Why make people like Bashir's parents into criminals for wanting to help their child? There's a difference between breeding and upgrading humans into augments and using valid medical science to help people. Any culture or society that can't separate the two, loses the right to claim an enlightened superiority.

11. C.E. Evans

In this case, both are too dangerous to keep around.
    It has to be a case where the danger is a totally proven one (happening more than once with a strong probability of it happening again). That for every Julian Bashir, there will indeed be a Khan Noonien Singh who will bring widespread death and destruction (i.e., the Eugenics Wars, the Augment Crisis of 2154, and the attacks on London & San Francisco). Under those circumstances, the dangers far outweigh any potential benefits, so it's considered illegal. No society can exist without protecting itself with an extreme measure or two, not even enlightened ones.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Julian was ready to have the entire Federation lie down and let the Dominion conquer them, acted like a total creep for 7 years and lied to everyone he cared about. It's not like he could be trusted either.

13. Yanks

Yeah, but he ended up banging Jazia vicariously though Ezri! :lol: So everything is alright.