The Son'a

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the very least, it's a decision for the Federation courts. Some kind of arbitration would probably be better. But certainly not one party making and enforcing their own determination without even informing the other.

Fair enough.

Not saying it's the only interpretation, just that the movie doesn't actually do much to contradict it.

This is only relevant if the planet actually *was* in someone else's space when the Baku arrived. The movie never says that. Claims of other posters here have yet to be proven.

It's also important to remember that relocation isn't necessarily as simple and unintrusive as Dougherty or maybe even the Fed. Council may think. What if the Baku actually had been a primitive society and their plan actually did succeed? A civilization that has enjoyed the anonymity and protection of the natural barrier of the Briar patch, now suddenly finds itself in open space surrounded by various hostile alien empires and all manner of potential hazards, without any idea that anything has changed. Hell, looking at Space Seed v. WoK, the Federation can't even guarantee that whatever perfectly safe and familiar planet they relocate these people to won't actually wind up turning against them.

And it's also important to remember that the Federation is apparently doing all this for nothing better than a longer lifespan. In an age where lifespans are already at the human maximum. How is that an even remotely good justification?

Of course being weak doesn't make someone right. Being right makes someone right. The evidence offered by the film makes the baku more in the right than the federation.

The particles will help billions who don't need help. You don't 'need' to live 200 years. And the film never even bothered to answer other important questions, like how long would the collected radiation last, and isn't the Federation actually destroying its only known source in order to collect it? Once everyone's good and hooked on living 200 years, what happens when the supply runs out and there is no planet left to provide more?

And there is no moral imperative to tell the world how great your home is. And certainly not to bend to the will of people who have admitted they intended to kidnap you rather than even attempt a reasonable discussion.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see more stories on the properties of the planet. If thaleron radiation destroys life, and the Genesis effect goes wild, perhaps they could be combined to have growth go to a certain point then stop--with the Baku effect negating the deadly effects of shinzons weapon--which just ends a genesis wave...

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I feel like the one story we got was one too many.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If there is a continuation of TNG-timeline sometime in the future (unlikely), I would like to see Starfleet vessels actually using the particles to treat patients.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not just use the 600 other things they have that can do that.

I mean metaphysic particles are kind of pathetic next to technology that can raise the freaking dead.

6. T'Girl

We don't know how reliable and consistent those "other ways" are, there does seem to be a reluctance to employ them. Nor how acceptable they are to the majority people of the federation membership.

Sure federation medical science can give Picard an artificial heart, LaForge a visual scanner, and Neelix one transplanted lung. But in terms of a more natural treatment and a holistic medical approach, the particles would be more in line with that.

The fact of the matter is after Picard had his heart destroyed in a fight, Starfleet choose NOT to put him through a transporter to repair the damage. Nor did Nog get his leg fixed in short order. Nor did Picard's brother and nephew get brought back from "the freaking dead."

You might be seriously over estimating what therapies are generally available in the 24th century.

People still require natural occurring drugs that only come from a single source, and that would include the particles from the ring planet.

:devil:

7. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still don't see why the Ba'ku have a better claim to the planet then the Son'a.

8. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

According to Picard, Federation law is on his side. I tend to believe him.

9. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Was that before or after he found out that the Son'a were really Baku?

10. T'Girl

I do wonder what the result was going to be from the review ordered by the federation council at the end of the movie.

In Journey's End, when Admiral N requested a review on a previous council decision, three day later the council's reply was "our previous decision stands."

Would that be the case with the ring planet? Proceed with the harvest of the particles, have the Sona (really their servants) build another collector and distribute the particles to health care facilities across the federation, with a share of the particles going to the Sona.

^(oo)^

11. Hartzilla2007

Not that tech.

I'm talking about the good shit.

transporters that can de-age and re-age people with a couple of button presses, the genesis effect which can raise the dead, replicators that can make replicate tissue, and ect.

All these one off wonders the federation always seems to forget about at the end of the episode.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just want to know how a small group of rural pacifists managed to exile a group of violent technology lovers.

13. T'Girl

Their parents told them to go sit on a chair, facing a corner.

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

why?

Dougherty and the Federation Council didn't seem to think so.

15. T'Girl

When Tasha Yar was killed on an away mission, Doctor Crusher's first medical procedure wasn't to immediately feed the body through the transporter using Tasha's pattern from when she last beamed down. The fact that they do not routinely employ this "easy fix" indicates that there something wrong with employing it. There's a reason it isn't the standard.

Replicators have a problem producing living organisms or flesh. It wasn't possible to simply replicate a new lung for Neelix. Nor could they scan Picard's vascular and muscle tissues and replicate a new heart for implantation into his chest.

Finding a life-less planet to "Genesis-cide" every time you want to raise someone from the dead might be difficult. Plus Spock's resurrection could have involved a series of coincidences, misunderstood events and exact timings that would prove impossible to reproduce.

Hartzilla2007, these people can't even restore Geordie's natural sight.

:devil:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  16. Hartzilla2007

Dr. Pulaski seemed to think otherwise.

17. T'Girl

Pulaski:
    I've done it twice
    in situations somewhat similar to yours.
    it would eliminate the constant pain you are under.
    There's something else you must know.
    This is a one shot
    If you decide to change your mind there's no going back
    And there are risks
    I can offer choices not guarantees.

Yeah, it a wonder LaForge didn't simply jump at this possibility. While Doctor Pulaski indicates that there a chance it could work, she really doesn't sound very confident.

^(oo)^

18. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    indeed, plus it sounds like the risk might be that he'd lose his sight through the VISOR if it doesn't work, which would pretty much end his ability to do his current job.