Why wasn't Worf in Code of Honor?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Overlord, Aug 26, 2013.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For an episode that talks about honor all the time, its odd Worf wasn't in it. He could have called Lutan out on his BS, with Lutan using honor as an excuse to act like a jerk.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well this is only episode 4 of the first season. Worf's honor shtick hadn't really been developed yet.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Worf released how shitty the episode would be, so he didn't show up! :p

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think that at that point Worf's position hadn't really been established. He was kind of a secondary character at first, there are even some season 1 cast promo shots that don't include him .

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

He was the absolute last main cast member added to season one IIRC.

7. Khaaan!!!!

Khaaan!!!! Ensign Newbie

I am happy Micheal Dorn wasn't on the set for filming that episode. Lets face it, That episode was pretty damn racist...I read somewhere that while they were filming it a producer was walking by the set and saw one of the scenes being filmed. according to the story the producer broke into a run toward the executive offices. Shortly thereafter the episodes director was fired by roddenberry himself.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

He knew better than to show his face in this stinker.

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I'll never fathom what about the episode was racist.

The production team is rumored to have been racist. The audience certainly is racist, for thinking that black people cannot be portrayed on screen, unless they are stereotypes such as police captains, brain surgeons or sexy detectives. But the episode just portrays an alien culture, pseudo-realistically for a rare once - uniquely enough, the planet isn't populated by Californians wearing forehead makeup.

As for Worf's absence, well, the preceding episode in airdate and stardate order alike was "The Naked Now". And Worf was the very last one to succumb to the intoxication there... Perhaps he was also the very last one to recover? ;)

Timo Saloniemi

10. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

sorry but when the stereotype is a planet of black savages that kidnap a white woman, it's racist.

you can make it sound like ooh thats just modern overzealous political correctness, but it was racist back in the 80's and it's racist now. fathom that.

11. Timo

Why? Because being savage and kidnapping women is a classic black behavior pattern in reality and thus cannot be mentioned out loud? Or because it isn't? Neither concern makes any sense - savagery or kidnapping aren't dependent on skin color, and any attempt at trying to pry apart what was never joined is only indicative of a fixation amounting to a rather disgusting brand of racism.

How would the episode have been better if the locals were pink or purple in color? I guess "multi-ethnic" would make sense in this particular case, because the culture is shown to have working global transportation (they even have transporters), but it's awfully racist to insist on multi-ethnicity just for the sake of never showcasing any single ethnicity...

Timo Saloniemi

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

yes but the 'black people as savages' is a stereotype which has existed. it is an offensive stereotype.

pink or purple people do not exist, and do not have a history of being portrayed in this negative manner, therefore that's a stupid hypothetical that you're using to distract from the point i made.

(but as this might be a rare code of honor thread not specifically about racism, we might be getting away from the topic)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  13. Timo

Pink people definitely exist - I am one, and I suppose you are as well. Pink people are world-famous for their savagery and kidnapping of women, too. And they have a history of being portrayed negatively. So why isn't "High Ground" a racist episode?

Timo Saloniemi

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

so that's just another way of saying you're not going to address what i said. i'm not talking about what shade of colour a black or white person is and i'm pretty sure you know it.

black people being portrayed as savages = racist stereotype, because it just is a racist stereotype that has existed. and there's not many more ways i can keep saying it.

good luck with saying black people as savages isn't a negative racist stereotype.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  15. Timo

Sorry, you said something?

"It's racist because it's racist"? I think there should be brains involved somewhere in the process of "saying"...

Timo Saloniemi

16. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Well, Worf didn't really have a specific permanent station assignment yet at this point in the series. And we know from "Lonely Among Us" that junior officers spent at least some of their time on non-bridge assignments. So I always just figured that Worf was serving a temporary duty assignment in Engineering or someplace during "Code of Honor".

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

so you think 'black savages kidnap white woman' isn't racist and is perfectly fine.

yes, i am totally the one in the wrong here. :rolleyes:

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You related to Shran? He also loved calling people "pink skin".:p

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

We may interpret it as racist and the implications of what the final product may look like may not have been thought through. But was the intent of the episode racist?

Russ Mayberry, the director who was fired went on to work on In the Heat of the Night, a show that dealt with racism in the Southern United States.

Lets not forget that the episode casting had to have been approved by Roddenberry as he had the final word during season one.

20. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

while it may not have been on purpose, it comes across that way on viewing, and thats what i judge tv shows on. so it doesn't matter about intent, 'accidental' racism is still racism.