Superior Resources, The Future of Typhon Pact

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Goentoer, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Goentoer

Goentoer Ensign Newbie

Let's make a list:

1. Newly reborn Data
    2. I/W Second Gen White Blue
    3. by products of Illegal Andorian Reproductives Research
    4. Transphasic Torpedo
    5. Perfected Quantum Slipstreams Drive
    6. Newly Reborn Katherine Janeway
    7. The soon to be destruction of Romulus
    Well, I believe, just as the Warsaw Pact, The Typhoon Pact will cease to exist in such a near future :)

2. Goentoer

Goentoer Ensign Newbie

It seems to me that, Starfleet (Section 31 in particular) will try the best of it's power to let such superior resources not to be implement openly in order to keep the Federation low profiles among their long time enemies and allies.

3. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

#1/#2 - ask a computer to make a scenario capable of challenging data, bam, instant ai
    #3 is nothing special
    #4 I doubt the federation would even use given it's future tech only to be used against the borg
    #6 is only a pro if your name happens to be tuvok
    #7 is the force keeping the typhon pact peaceful

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. I'd argue that the Typhon Pact is more dependent upon Tzenketh and Tholia's survival than that of Romulus. And Tzenketh may have been counting upon - and manipulating - Romulus to serve as a counterweight to Tholia and maintain some degree of Pact-UFP balance as well.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't the Federation share the transphasic technology once the shit hit the fan against the Borg?

To be honest, the slipstream drive is probably enough - the Tomed Incident started just because of the rumors the Federation had a new, more advanced warp-drive technology.

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point; I'd forgotten about that. Having been reminded, it makes the reappearance of Gell Kamemor in the Romulan-Typhon Pact arc more significant. She's in the same position now as she was then, only this time she has the power to make policy and guide the Romulans and their neighbours through the instability.

7. Jeff

Jeff Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wouldnt be surprised if Kamemor decided to leave the Pact at some point

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Quite likely, the Romulan Star Empire has significant econimic ties with the other Pact members. In a timeline where the Borg didn't invade the Federation in 2381, the Pact didn't exist but its members were trade partners. There influence was sufficient to talk the Gorn Hegemony out of going to war with the Klingon Empire. (Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many)

Leaving the Pact might be akin to leaving the EU - a risky business. Keep in mind there's even a common TP currency.

If the Romulan Star Empire would secede from the Pact, it could prompt the Gorn Hegemony to do so likewise, given there growing friendship with the Federation and the alienation by the Breen Confederacy.

9. frkcd

frkcd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Interesting discussion. I hope the statements by Riker and Akaar at the end of Peaceable Kingdoms related to Starfleet getting back to its mission of "seeking out new life and new civilizations" doesn't come at the expense of stories that expand upon and continue to deepen the familiar, interconnected Trek universe. I'd rather read more about the unfolding storyline and the interconnections amongst the intergalactic powers and the characters who represent them than "new life forms and new civilzations." Some of the latter is interesting, but I find the potential for conflict and change and surprise (what is the impact on the Typhon Pact, and the signatories to the Khitomer Accords, that the Romulan Praetor and the Gorn Imperator view the Federation, at least, as an entity they can "do business with"? If Romulus (and Remus?) is destroyed in 2387, how will that shake things up and affect the individual players in the Pact as well as those in the Accords?) in the universe we know to be more compelling.

10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Impractical I know,but wouldn't it be fun to see an integrated Pact crew out there exploring "where no one has gone before."?

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

It would. I'd absolutely love to see something like that.

Who knows, maybe the Pact will respond to the Federation's recent shift toward more traditional pursuits by moving in a similar direction itself? It is the UFP's biggest competitor, after all. There's more to squaring off with someone than posturing with guns and slipstream engines. Maybe the Federation will once again influence the Pact members in a positive fashion by providing them an example to follow? One of the recent novels mentioned that the Romulans had resumed deep-space exploration in the far Beta Quadrant, and the Gorn might still be searching for new hatchery worlds...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014