Alpocalypse!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by OdoWanKenobi, Jun 21, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Come on, there have to be Weird Al fans around here. His new album, Alpocalypse is out today! Go get it and bask in the hilarity.

Overall, this album is pretty strong. A few of the songs off of here have had previously released videos, but It's fine. Perform This Way and Party in the CIA are really strong parodies. The only song I would consider a dud is Ringtone. It just doesn't have that special something to make it pop out at me.

So, anyone else have any thoughts? Come on and share them.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I had no idea Weird Al was still making music.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

haven't had a chance to check out the whole album yet, but i did like 'Perform This Way'. love Weird Al.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Here's the Perform This Way music video, for all your nightmare fuel needs:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M[/yt]

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Saw that through Facebook the otherday, funny but also disturbing.

6. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Can't wait to buy the album!! I have all his albums (including the little-known "Peter and the Wolf") and have seen him twice in concert. Missed him last tour but hopefully I can catch the tour for Alpocalypse.

7. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe you aren't thinking about it the way I am. I intend to cut it and make it my ringtone. :D (I agree that I don't quite dig listening to it as a whole song, though.)

I've been listening to it since I bought it at lunch today, and I think Party In The CIA is my favorite from this one. I'm going to have to listen to the whole thing a few dozen more times to be sure, though - and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying Another Tattoo, given that I don't really care for the original. (Or maybe that is why.)

8. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Is Alan Cumming a shapeshifter? I keep seeing him everywhere - as Michael Sheen's character in Tron Legacy, in some other drag-queen video I saw the other day, and now in Weird Al's video. Does the FBI know about this? ;)

Alex

9. CmdrAJD

CmdrAJD Commodore Commodore

I picked up the deluxe edition with the DVD during my lunch break yesterday. Overall, I think the album is very strong, but the videos on the DVD were somewhat disappointing. I still think "CNR" was the best video, and that's been out for a couple of years now. "Party in the CIA" wasn't bad, but "Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me" is nothing more than the words to the song in various fonts and sizes. Al's promised that there's going to be a video for the polka this time around with 10 different directors working on the segments. That should be interesting.

As for the songs, I like all of them except "Ringtone." "Skipper Dan" is probably my favorite of the previously released material, and "Perform This Way," "TMZ," and "Party in the CIA" have been the most played of the newer stuff.

10. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    He still tours too. We saw him last fall and he gives it everything he's got every night.

11. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I saw him three or four years ago, and it's impressive how much a guy in his late-40s (at the time) still throws himself with such energy into his musical comedy.

I'm enjoying the album, myself. It's not his strongest ever, but I think that has a lot to do with the current state of pop music than anything else. And as usual, the polka is a great way to catch up on everything I've missed the last few years. ;)

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

This would be funnier if it was an "Alpacalypse." Now I just need a picture of evil alpacas.

13. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

:rofl: Weird Al is brilliant. He can parody Lady Gaga and still keep a straight face. :D

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The video was done with two females (a dancer and a gymnist) and had Weird Al's head CGI'd on them.

15. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was in my town doing a show just last week.

16. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll have to check out this new one. I have White and Nerdy as one of my ringtones. That's my all-time favorite video of his so far.

17. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooooookay. That makes me just a BIT less freaked out. The thought of Weird Al cross-dressing -- messes with my benign thoughts of him as a kid.

Hmm... but i guess that would be the ONE way to out-do Lady Blah-blah's extreme fashion -- CGI clothes (or body, for that matter)!

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was going to be about dog food! :rommie:

Maybe the alpacas are being made into Alpo? That would be apropos.