(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rumour is that he's bringing in someone experienced as his number 2. Crosby would be a coach. Think I'd prefer that tbh.

News conference with Clough on Radio Derby at 18:15 tonight.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Did I just see Andy Todd play the game of his life?

Ok, so that was a weakened Man Utd team, but it wasn't that weak and we arguably could have got three! No matter what happens in the return leg that was a fantastic game and hopefully we can go on from that performance.

What a week- East Midlands 2 Manchester 0 :lol:

3. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations man. I just saw the highlight on Sky Sports News. What a beauty by Commons.

4. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excuse me, I have a Red Devil's tail to tug on.

5. Angel4576

United fielded a 'weak' team by their own standards, but tbh, even when they brought on Ronaldo, Rooney and Carrick it made little difference. Addison completely owned Scholes until they subbed him off and but for Vidic on a couple of occasions it could easily have been more. Besides, with us fielding the likes of Todd, Camara, Teale and eventually Savage, it was hardly like we put out our full strength side ;)

It's not often that you hear Fergie saying that it was a great result for United because they only lost 1-0. He admitted we could easily have had four.

Just wished that Hulse's effort had gone in towards the end. 2-0 at OT would have given us a better fighting chance. At 1-0 the tie's still pretty much in their favour unfortunately. Importantly, the tie is still alive, and before last night's game I'd happily have taken that.

Commons was exceptional last night, and definitely looks better playing in a free role behind Hulse. I'd stick with that and let Davies, another revelation, stay out on the left wing, he humiliated Rafael time, after time last night.

Great team performance.

A major cup semi-final, a Clough in charge, a Todd in the team and the world champions outclassed. Just like the good ol' days.....

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I agree, at 2-0 we might arguably have a chance at Old Trafford. Not saying we still don't, but can't imagine Utd will play as poorly as they did last night. Then again I loved what Roy Carroll said after the game when asked if he thought they could do it. We're professional footballers, if we don't think we can go and win we shouldn't be playing!

Weak team by Utd standards yes, but Scholes, Tevez, Vidic...and how much did Nani and Anderson cost? Even the expensive trio coming on made no difference (though Ronaldo's free kicks made me nervous!) Rooney was non existant and Tevez was shit, Utd should get rid.

For us Todd and Nyatanga were fantastic. Camera looked shaky at times but still not as bad a left back as people say. It's a shame our two best wingers are both left sided really, as neither Teale or Stejoski are brilliant (though Teale played quite well I thought) Green and Addison were good and Connelly was solid as ever. Carroll didn't have a lot to do, but credit to Hulse, it isn't easy leading the line alone. As for Commons...well I'd just finished telling my dad that his lack of pace was the only thing that would hold him back when he skinned 2 United players.

I hope we keep Lowe and Burrows at the academy...I wonder what Nigel said to the players before hand? Was it just a good luck, or something more?

7. Angel4576

I suspect it was just 'good luck'. I think it's the mental affect that his very appearance had on the players that contributed more to the performance. A few of them clearly upped their game, proving the point that they clearly think they still have something to offer. Of course, Clough's earlier comments that they would be looking to 'trim' the squad during January will also have played their part in motivating the players. Suddenly, players who you'd have put your house on being let go in January; Savage, Todd, Teale, Camara etc, looked different players and may still actually figure in some capacity.

The really good thing for me last night was how well the younger members of the team played.

Nyatanga, Davies, Commons and Addison were all outstanding. Add Barnes to that list when he's fully fit and the future's looking pretty good.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it isn't a terrible squad, it's just too big, there's an argument for saying Clough won't actually need to make any signings this window, just move some players out. I'm glad they resisted the temptation to put Barnes on the bench last night, looks like they're giving him time to get properly fit. It still surprises me that Todd didn't get a chance this season. I actually had a lot of time for Jewell, but the number of players he fell out with was ridiculous!

9. Angel4576

It didn't really surprise me tbh. In a frail defensive unit, whenever I saw him play, Todd was by far the most fragile. He just had no pace whatsoever and was more blunder-prone than even Camara. Fair play though, last night he was an absolute legend.

They've pretty much said that there'll be no inwards activity this month but one or two will probably go. Nigel will then re-assess things in the summer, and we'll have next year's paracute payment to spend (around £9m).

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I saw Todd's debut against Porstmouth and thought he looked good, and when he struggled later on Jewell was playing him out of position at right back. Wasn't he carrying an injury last season as well? If he can play half as well as last night against champ opposition he deserves to keep his place.

I won't be surprised if Clough brings a player or two in on loan, but yeah it'll mainly be outward traffic.

11. Angel4576

We were there for the Portsmouth game last season as well. Still remember going mental when Todd's flying header went in!

The problem with Todd is that he can't do it every game. Besides the obvious pace problem, sometimes he has lapses in concentration. I remember when we played Brum at home last year, they scored before we'd even finished 'Steve Bloomer's Watching...' and taken our seats, largely down to a Todd cockup.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah the Birmingham game. My mate who's a Villa fan said at that time, that's the one you'll rue because thats the sort of game you should have been winning.

Funny but I only made it to two games last year, Portsmouth and Fulham and we drew em both 2-2 and arguably could have won them both!

Someone on a forum said last night, we've beaten more Prem teams this season than we did when we were actually in the Prem!

13. Angel4576

Do you post on the DET - http://forums.therams.co.uk/category.jspa?categoryID=81 - forum?

There were quite a few games last year where we should have won. Blackburn at home was another one. 1-0 up and then missed a penalty, before going on to lose the game.

Yeah, more Premier League scalps this year than last, and more remarkably, we've not conceded either, despite having the majority of the same defence, last night at least! (Carroll, Nyatanga, Todd and Camara).

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ha ha, yes I do have an account on that forum, though I rarely post--mainy just lurk.

People go on about us being a terrible team last season, but things could have been very different. The Christmas period after Jewell arrived we were unlucky (or possibly just not quite fit enough) Five minutes from beating Newcastle, a few minutes from drawing with Liverpool, a few seconds from drawing with Bolton, and if we'd gone 2 up against Blackburn I think we'd have gone on the win (Steve Howard is a dreadful penalty taker) That's potentially another 7 points there. I'm not saying we wouldn't have still gone down, but it wouldn't have been as the worst team ever and who knows what the boost in morale would have meant for the rest of the season.

15. Angel4576

To be fair though, during the promotion season, Howard was a fairly consistent penno taker.

Davies' penno against FGR last weekend was pretty impressive, although I never quite understand, given his ability with a deadball, why Commons doesn't take them.

Have to say, as much as I like PJ, and I thought he was the ideal man to take us forward, the way the team played last night, free of pressure with renewed purpose, it looks to me as though he'd lost the dressing room. Too many arguments with too many players I think. That's not to say that Jewell's a bad manager, he's not, it's just sometimes, things just don't fit right or work out.

Either way, the doom and gloom of the last month were blown away inside 90 minutes last night, I'm intruiged to see what effect this has on our league campaign. What would be really interesting would be to see what a win against Cardiff could do to our morale. I get the impression that if we can harness the old new manager syndrome and craft a bit of luck for ourselves and generate some momentum, we could still do well this season. We have the players, they've just not had the right motivation so far this season IMO.

The DET forum's pretty good. Prefer it to Popside and the 'new' version of Ramzone.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Howard was consistent yes, but I remember his first pen against Luton (I think) I thought he isn't a good penalty taker-I had the same thought when Beckham scored against Argentina, both are hit it and hope merchants. I was surprised how good a pen taker McEvely was against Southampton in the semi!

Yeah much as I defended Jewell its increasingly obvious that he was the right man in the wrong job, or at least the wrong time, and I think its fairly obvious he did lose the dressing room, or at least part of it.

Be very interesting to see what team Clough puts out against Cardiff, and I really hope the fighting spirit shown last night wasn't a one off. Probably foolish to talk of the playoffs but we're 12 points off them, it isn't impossible. That said I'm not sure I'd want us to go up this season, Nigel's learning curve is steep enough as it is.

17. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

My friends and I who are going to the game on Saturday agree on one thing:
    You can't possibly play that well two games in a row. We hope.

I cannot believe we've lost Routledge either. I'm sure I read he's going to QPR instead of signing with Cardiff. Unbelievable. I was looking forward to seeing him as well.

18. Angel4576

I seriously doubt that we can play that way again on Saturday. The match on Wednesday almost demanded the performance that we gave. Motivation wasn't a problem, it being a cup semi final against United, and everyone out to impress the new manager. The new manager being Clough inspired the crowd, and subsequently the players were energised.

On the transfer front, looks like you've switched your attention to Chris Burke from Rangers.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well QPR have the cash I guess, sad but true.

I doubt we can play anywhere near as well tomorrow as well. Of course even half as well might be enough :devil:

I like Nigel's comments that we need to take a point or three, that's it lad, keep the expectations realistic by implying a draw would be a good result (and it would be)

20. Angel4576

Loved Clough's reaction to Hulse's chance where he put it over the bar. Tried to maintain his composure, nearly lost it, then just caught himself in time again.

Likewise, Pearson's reaction to the goal was quality as well, just went mental. Good lad. :lol:

A draw at Cardiff would be a great result IMO. Three points would obviously be better, but I'd happily take a draw.

Latest rumours; Hull to offer £2m for Green, with us apparently interested in Kasper Schmeichal.