A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

First I've heard of it. Edmure Tully, maybe?

2. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Jaqen H'ghar has also been mentioned as a possibility for Curran.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

About 180 copies of A Dance With Dragons shipped from the German Amazon site before the error was corrected. Spoilers have reportedly started to leak as a result. Although this is a spoiler thread for the series, please don't post any spoilers for the fifth book here until a reasonable length of time has passed after its official release date.

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I'm just going to avoid this thread (and all online ASOIAF discussion) from July 12th until I've finished the novel.

5. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Westeros.org had a spoiler thread today which was filled with huge spoilers, but then the whole ADWD forum was hidden until the book actually comes out. There are spoilers on 4chan (how surprising) and probably everywhere where there's a slight possibility of ASOIAF discussion.

It will be very difficult to avoid spoilers in places where the moderation isn't that strict or Facebook/Twitter and such. Once the book really comes out, I think it'll be better to open a thread dedicated solely to ADWD and don't post any spoilers here or even hints at spoilers.

6. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I can see him (Eccleston) as Damphair...

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Aeron Damphair is easily my favourite minor character in ASOIAF (I loved the chapters from his perspective in A Feast of Crows) so I am hoping they'll do him justice this season.

I'm not that familiar with Eccleston but I have a vague feeling he's some kind of 'name'-ish actor, though, and as such I'd suspect a bigger role like Stannis... but honestly who knows. Balon Greyjoy?

8. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I just think he'd be great at showing Damphair's fervor for his faith...

9. Shurik

He was the ninth Doctor, for one season.
    He'll be a perfect Stannis. It is known.

10. I like him for Stannis.

I became a Stannis fan when he was the only king to answer the call of the Night's Watch. He can be a bastard, but not maliciously so. The bit about him realizing that being a King meant having duties in addition to just whining about "rights" was a great realization that showed an admirable quality underneath the iron personality that's indulging in Melisandre's magic.

11. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose, but I have to admit I've really fallen in love with the idea of him as Stannis. I admit, though, that his Northern accent would work better for a Greyjoy, but then Mark Addy's broad Yorkshire accent kind of negates that already. ;)

I'm also a fan of Stannis, myself. Stone Cold Sisko said it well in the post above this one, but he certainly seems to be the only person on Westros who understands what being king actually means. I suspect Robb did as well, but of course, he never really go the chance to prove it (insert standard fist shake at George R. R. Martin here).

12. Shurik

This is why I like Stannis too. He's probably the only person in Westeros right now who can make a good king. I hope he will be on the winning side.

13. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Be careful, some copies of ADWD has shipped and spoilers are appearing everywhere..I've already been spoiled, but honestly..I would go on Internet Lockdown with any website that has forums/blogs/wikis/comment sections until you have finished the book.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Either that or we could start a new thread for casting news and then people could filter back into this thread when they've read the new book.

15. superdeluxe

16. superdeluxe

Sorry for the repost.

17. Shurik

I think that separate thread for ADWD is better. It would be funny to see 100 posts like "WTF?!?!?!", "He didn't just ...!!!", "Tyrion hooked up with zombie Cat?!" and such.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think a separate thread for ADWD would be a good idea, that way the people who finish the book can discuss to their heart's content. Then after a reasonable amount of time passes, we can roll discussion of ADWD back into this thread.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shockingly there are actually no spoilers for ADWD up on Wikipedia yet.

20. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Admiral

Chalk me up as a Stannis fan as well -- and Eccleston would be a great choice.

That being said, I fear Stannis, book-wise, is in for a bad end somehow. There's been too many references to "being brittle like iron" scattered throughout the previous books for me not to think otherwise (unfortunately).

What I'm curious to see (and guessing most likely won't know until either TWOW or AHOS) is what comeuppance Walder Frey and the rest of his bunch have coming to them... (besides 'Lady Stoneheart')

Cheers,
    -CM-