Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. stellamaris

stellamaris Cadet Newbie

about that... I have no idea. But would love my son to become at least TNG fan later ;-)

Klaa2 likes this.
  2. stellamaris

stellamaris Cadet Newbie

(I understand your question as questioning the possibility of anybody completely new to fall in love with Voyager;)

Klaa2 likes this.
  3. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Well, yes, because it’s a tired, bland spin-off from the 1990s without even an HD master. I could watch V: The Series for completeness, but would I become a fan? Not likely in the context of so much great TV out there. ”Welcome new fans of The X-Files!”, absolutely, especially with so many of the writers creating their own memorable shows later on, such as Breaking Bad or Homeland. But VGR?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  4. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, there are. Guess it's time to show my face.

I'm watching the show right now for the very first time and enjoying myself immensely. I seriously hadn't expected that.

I know I am very late to the party. I grew up in East Germany in a place where we could not watch West German TV so there was no Enterprise in my childhood. And later I thought it's too late to watch it.

It was only with the new movies that I watched TOS in 2015 and fell in love with it immediately, but still had no interest to check out all the other Trek series. It's the same with Doctor Who, it's impossible to catch up with 50 years of canon. Not only on screen but also all the books and audio plays and comics, whatever.

But now, after reading so many comparisons to Trek episodes in the Orville episode discussions, I finally decided to educate myself. German TV is doing a re-run right now and so I watch an hour of Voyager a day.

I seriously don't know what happened but maybe a slow dated show with simple stories that have a happy ending and some humor (I always love when there is humor in my sci-fi - looking at you, SG-1) is exactly what is needed during these dark times. It's an hour that gets me away from any news, into different worlds, and it's very relaxing.

And after that one certain episode I guess I am also a shipper now, at least I started to read lots of fanfictions.

I'm at the beginning of season 3, yesterday the Doc sang operas and became forgetful. So I have lots ahead of me yet. Already dreading the "there's not much of Chakotay anymore" years.

I don't drink coffee either.

Klaa2 and Thomas Eugene like this.
  5. B'elanna_Torres

B'elanna_Torres Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm definitely not a new Voyager fan but I am new to the forum (still within my first 14 days).

I look forward to posting plenty in this particular section of the forum!

6. Lt. J'Korta

Lt. J'Korta Ensign Red Shirt

Hello! I'm new to these forums! I grew up on TNG and I love DS9 and VOY. I'm re-watching VOY and DS9 on Netflix these days and since I've deactivated my Facebook and Twitter accounts, this seems like the best place to discuss Trek stuff! Live long and prosper!

7. Tribble Threat

Tribble Threat Commander Red Shirt

Welcome aboard!

Lt. J'Korta likes this.
  8. Lt. J'Korta

Lt. J'Korta Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks!

9. VoyagerSeason8

VoyagerSeason8 Ensign Red Shirt

Hi there, I'm the writer of podcast that's dedicated to a season 8 of Voyager that could have and should have happened. I hope to seek insight into what this community thinks about the show and maybe incorporate some wants into the story I'm writing.

10. Court_Vince

Court_Vince Commander Red Shirt

Welcome to the board!

11. PersistentSquirrel

PersistentSquirrel Ensign Newbie

I'm probably not a new Voyager fan since I've already watched Voyager when I was a little kid (about 4-5 years old) when it first aired in Germany. However I've just recently rewatched it and completely fell in love with the Doc. I remember when I was a little kid a had a crush on Chakotay so apparently times are changing :D
    However I also love Janeway and Seven. When I was a kid Janeway was kind of my substitute mom because I didn't get along too well with my real mom. And Seven is just... Seven. So yeah, 25 years later still loving Voyager. And now I'm here :)

12. Timtamttime

Timtamttime Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi all! I guess I’m definitely a new Voyager fan, as I just watched it last year during the first lockdown. I also watched DS9 for the first time then, but I like Voyager way more. Perhaps it’s the general hopefulness of it? Or perhaps I just like Janeway a lot. Either way, it’s by far my favourite.

13. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

Exactly my thoughts. Janeway totally rocks! She and her crew are a fun lot. Very likeable too. And ofc, I think the premise of the show - a ship lost in space - is so good other Trek shows can't compete with it.

I didn't like DS9 when I watched it for the first time. Slowly, however, that show grew one me. Still not as good as VOY in my book - there are simply too many boring episodes on that show - but I definitely like it way more than on first watching.

Timtamttime likes this.
  14. nedski

nedski Commander Red Shirt

Just joined this forum yesterday, it is so comfy to be among "trekkies" ....
    Even if I'm watching (rewatching) the DS9, I used to watch the Voyager as well, and as far as I remember I've seen most of the seasons, but I remember that I haven't finished it.
    After I'll finish rewatching the DS9, I'll jump into "Voyager" since I wanna see from head to tail.
    After that (as a future plan), I'll probably start watching the Discovery (which is slightly different, not quite on my taste, but I like the special effects) but only after they finish filming all the seasons.....
    Somehow I promised myself I'll never watch again "ongoing" TV Shows :)

Live long and prosper !

15. nedski

nedski Commander Red Shirt

And as Lt. J'Korta said previously, I also grew up watching TNG and the films that followed, even though I was watching the show sporadically since it was broadcasted on one of our TV channels.... and maybe it was broadcasted like once or twice per week....
    Anyway I was eager to watch the following episodes all the time.
    But my favorite remains DS9 and I guess from the "ongoing" ones, I prefer "Picard" over "Discovery".
    :shrug:

16. Laughing Dragon

Laughing Dragon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am not a Voyager fan per say but I have been watching the series on Netflix streaming but had it on the back burner due to things outside my control. It has some interesting characters, I like the idea of a female Captain but I always felt the execution was lacking. But I decided to give the full series a go. I tuned in just out of curiosity. But not all that much. I may become a fan though. Who knows,

17. Dagwood2001

Dagwood2001 Cadet Newbie

Hi all new to the forum, glad to be here. Just started with STV (wrapping up season 2) and like it a lot so far. Have watched all the other Star Treks countless times but somehow just never watched this series on it's initial run. Hope to be able to add some contributions across the different series but will probably hang here for now.

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  18. Laughing Dragon

Laughing Dragon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

On Netflix, I just watched Heroes and Demons -- not bad. I hope to at least finish the rest of the season before the series is taken away.

19. Timtamttime

Timtamttime Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Go fast! I’m glad I don’t have to rely on Netflix for Voyager anymore

20. Paul B. Hartzog

Paul B. Hartzog Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

howD, happy to be here.

Watched ToS as a kid and got hooked. TNG later, but never liked DS9 (although I'm trying to make my way through it).

When Voyager happened I remember being really excited that Star Trek had gone BACK to the original idea of an exploration vessel on an exploration mission (and all that that entails). Regardless of execution, the premise was more to my liking. It didn't help that Janeway looks and sounds like my Mom, only as a starship captain. Watching her struggle, make decisions that could be challenged, and get home, all the while trying to stick to Starfleet ethics, is all the stuff I love about narrative in the first place. The fall and recovery of Janeway was fascinating to me, and honestly all the rest of the crew and stories are interesting in their own right. Watching Tuvok dance for Neelix near the end of Season 7 was absolutely heartwarming and a fitting meta-statement on what Star Trek has always been about for me: namely, the idea that we can be very different and yet still find common ground and be capable of moving each other.

I like all Trek, old and new, for a variety of reasons, but Voyager still stands out for me. Desperately hoping we get a 1080p version sometime.....

Thomas Eugene likes this.