Smallville 8x09 "Abyss" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Nov 13, 2008.

?

Grade "Abyss"

1. SUPER

32.0%
  2. Above Average

40.0%
  3. Average

8.0%
  4. Below Average

8.0%
  5. BIZARRO

12.0%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um. This is the last season.

We're half way through the last season.

So why erase Chloe's memory and possibly Lex's, an maybe Lana's again if she blips on his radar if we are almost with in range of there being no need for it being easier for them to tell stories because there will be no more movies to tell...

Surely this is when they don't have to worry about confusing and losing a thick audience who can't handle COMPLICATED shows like Smallville...

Unless they think they're going to get some movies just because Star Trek did, or this isn't the last season? I mean certainly i had thought it was the last seaosn fo rthe last three years now. it's like you're running a marathon barefoot over broken glass and the administrator adds some surprise laps when ou thought you could see the finish line.

bastards.

2. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Actually, no one outside of reporters have said this is the last season. And they have been saying that since season 4 started, thinking the show would end with Clark and Co.'s high school graduation.

Given that this is one of the CW's highest rated shows I would say that if anything is in danger of the axe of cancellation, it is the CW itself. If it survives, and with the demise of The Graysons (Smallville's potential replacement) in it's planning infancy, Smallville will survive for at least another season.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

^
    I think the only thing preventing a season nine at this point is Welling.

As long as he's on board, the show will keep going. However, this is the end of his contract.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^As with this season, if they don't re-sign Allison Mack then that's it for me.

5. CorporalClegg

6. Guy Gardener

Happy days continued without Richie and A different World went on and on with out Lisa Bonnet... And of course there was Babylon 5 Losing O'hare and Blakes Seven continued for two seasons after Blake "died", and Doherty leaving Beverly Hills 90210, Charmed and Scare tactics all worked out for the best, and the shit they pulled in earth Final conflict... Although replacing the Dukes didn't work out too well, but they did replace Superboys in the series running before Lois and Clark without anyone noticing... Did Sam really ever recover from Diane just vanishing between seasons? The two hundredth episode of Cheers was the cast on folding chairs in front of a live audience with clips. Shelly just appeared with out being invited by the TPTB and sat down with the rest of the cast and no one said anything about what the hell she was doing there.

Welling should leave and Smallville should be about Smallville.

Surely after 8 years there must be a rich tapesty still worth plumbing?

Welling ought be Superman by now.

Fuck me.

Season 9.

Wow.

7. CorporalClegg

Um ... Apples/Oranges much?

8. Guy Gardener

There were certainly apples and apples for some of the comparisons about whether a show can continue if the leads wanders off.

They changed Superboy actors in the turn of the 90s live action Superboy TV Show!

How is that not exatactly the same thing as hypothetically life after Welling?

9. CorporalClegg

Well, in all the examples you mentioned, the actors may have been "leads," but they weren't the premise of the show.

And, I don't think enough people watched Superboy TV to notice. Besides, it was the 80s...

10. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

I don't believe we'll ever see this Clark Kent wearing the suit. It just wouldn't fit, and there's not even the uber-flimsy excuse of wearing glasses to make him unidentifiable to the public. I guess they could just "out him" instead, if they wish. Still, I just don't see him in the suit. Why would he, anyway? He can do what he wants without wearing red underwear over blue spandex with a frickin' cape on over that. In this world, I think it'd just look stupid.

11. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At best, it's to get Clark figuring out his own solutions instead of running to Chloe every episode. Trouble is, that really takes away Chloe's reason for being on the show.

If they are smart, have her figure out his secret again, save his life and the lives of thousands, and teach Clark to stop messing with other people's destinies.

12. Guy Gardener

Considering last time he erased someone's mind, it killed his father and the last time Jor-El erased someone's memory, they got deflowered by Lex Luthor (platonic relationship my ass.), Chloe would have to be on the ball enough to consider sending her self time delayed emails to make sure that Jor-El or Clark arn't rinsing his memories clean... And when lana gets back?

"How could you do this to Chloe!? She's a friend! She's a human being!"

"You didn't mind when I erased your memory Lana."

"You violated me too? Have you no decency sir?!"

"Well, you were dead. I didn't think it was a big deal."

O!

Is that why they had her out of characteristically erase that dick heads memory last week by rebooting his brain? So that this windback would be necessarily ironic?

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Actually in Season six he bought a Toyota Tundra (only remembered because it had a driveby scene that was longer than some of the promotional material in Knight Rider for the Mustang).

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Only becacuse Click makes him.

15. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Oddly enough, Click only buys Yugos.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, my post-crisis knowledge of Superman isn't really up to speed. Who would've thought Pete Ross knew Superman's identity?

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Beat you to it. ;)

18. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I had it planned before I left work for home but got distracted and didn't post until later. Oh well...snooze and lose, I guess! :)

19. CorporalClegg

Great. I started a pissing contest over correcting my typos. :rolleyes:

20. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Next time, use your powers for GOOD and not EVIL, mmkay?