I really want to meet Wil Wheaton

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by spoonunseptium, Apr 21, 2009.

1. spoonunseptium

spoonunseptium Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Check out this recent appearance at a ECCC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdoFIU4eSE

After reading a few blog posts and having watched a couple of speeches/performances similar to this, I've decided that Wil Wheaton is officially at the top of my list of famous/semi-famous people to meet, which includes Robin Williams and Hilary Clinton(only 'cause I want to see the anomaly in person).

He's hilarious, smart, and pretty personable, and isn't afraid to champion the cause of Geekdom.

If I were a gamer, he'd probably be my favorite person on earth.

He's a regular guy who just happened to have an automatic avenue into the public eye. Awesome much?

2. Lucy of Nine

Lucy of Nine Commander Red Shirt

I can't stop hearing Stewie say "wHil wHeaton"... Lol

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Robin Williams lives 17 blocks from me, right over there <points>. Look for the topiary dinosaur neck peeking over the wall (I'm not kidding).

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Problem is that it stopped being funny about five thousand repetitions ago.

5. phylogeny

phylogeny Ensign Red Shirt

He's a total nerd. I ventured onto his website a while back, some interesting read. He also mentioned that he and LeVar Burton were the only Star Trek fans from the TNG cast coming into the series---presumably everyone else became fans of the show thereafter!.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

It's Hwil Hweaton. ;)

I met Wil Wheaton at the 2006 Trek Convention, just walking the floor in the dealer's room and meeting fans. Really, nice guy, very friendly adn a very good sport. We had a good time joking about those awful sweaters from Season One. :)

7. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only saw him in person in an autograph line at a Tucson Creation con *waaaaaay* back when (first or second season TNG time) and he was pretty young then (so was I - same age about!)...but I noticed he was REALLY nice, personable, and not at ALL arrogant or stuck up about his recent fame...(especially for a *child* star - but as *people* went, he was still a really cool, regular, dude!)

(Plus, he created a stir when he dropped in to shop the dealer's room!)

8. Loqutus

Loqutus Lieutenant Red Shirt

He just didn't know how much people hated him back then

9. jack2009

jack2009 Guest

Yesterday, J. and I went down to the Stone brewery, home of Arrogant Bastard Ale, where we planned to drink a lot of great beer, and listen to Wil Wheaton read from his new book, The Happiest Days of our Lives. (You can read Wil's version of the day here.)
    Wil's blogging and writing about his creative struggles had really hit home with me. His pals, the Voice of Self-Doubt and Prove to Everyone could be cousins to my own creative demons, Still Not Good Enough and Who Do You Think You're Kidding. It's been incredibly encouraging to see him find his own voice and niche as a creative person, so I'd been looking forward to getting out and supporting him at a reading for ages, and that this particular reading involved beer was an extra bonus.
    I wished I'd thought to bring my Canon, but all I had on me was my phone and sketchbook. Damn.
    ====================================
    disney dvds
    Real Benefits of Acai Berry Product Types of Autism Statistics Facts

10. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

I've met him.

He's nice, but a little too political and a tad bit arrogant.

And he knows a lot about game culture, but he sucks at actually playing them.

And that's all I know from meeting Wil Wheaton.

11. Scarpad

Scarpad Lieutenant Commander

Why would anyone dame someone for being too political.. it's like you calling him too involved.. whether you agree with someones politics or not.. you can't damn them for being involved.

12. NumberOne

NumberOne Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

That ep of Family Guy was friggin' hilarious

13. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Wasn't Michael Dorn supposed to be a self-professed Trekkie, too?

As for Wheaton, he does seem like a genuinely nice guy. I never cared much for the character, but I wouldn't say no to having a beer with him. I'm sure he's reasonably interesting.

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That was fun! :) I'm not familiar with a lot of the pop culture references in his stories, but that didn't matter - it was still enjoyable.

15. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No it wasn't - IMO, anyway. It was an enormous dud. That particular joke was funny, though (it was pretty much the high point of the episode, sadly), and I haven't tired of it yet!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  16. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

I don't know how or why someone would condemn anyone else. I merely said that he was too political.

Being political is not being involved. Being political is usually whining about things you have no control over, and it's not restricted to the left or the right, both sides do it.

17. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

SPOON: Thanks for posting that link. I just finished watching it and i enjoyed it very much. I think Wil is adorable and so very funny!

18. Atariboy

Atariboy Commander Red Shirt

We spoke briefly two years ago at a convention. Seemed like a super nice guy and quite interesting.

19. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the words of Sheldon Cooper:

Whhhhhhheeeeaaaaaatttttoooooonnnnnn!

20. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Was that the one where Meg became obsessed with Brian?