The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Oh no. To whom do I surrender my nerd card?

2. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The cardboard backs of old calendars make great spaceships! Or at least some windows.

I cut out the shape, I like using nail scissors for round forms. Then I added thicker cardboard to give it depth, and finally some thin cardboard stripes to form the sides of the windows. I think I'm going to spray paint it yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whoops, I leaned the window into the wrong direction. This is what it's supposed to look like.

[​IMG]

3. KimMH

Very clever! It’s a fun kind of physics to create spaces like that but no less challenging, I’m sure!

cooleddie74 likes this.
  4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
  5. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

I fell down the Rebels hole 8[

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Astra

Thank you! I like the work process, doing something with my hands, thinking of solutions how do achieve a certain thing - but there also comes a time when one just wants to be finished! LOL

I read a fanfiction in which Chakotay built a painting easel in his woodshop for Kathryn. Naturally, I had to illustrate that. I always have loved painting. I even made sawdust! And a technical drawing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KimMH, Avro Arrow and Kai "the spy" like this.
  8. KimMH

So sweet! And the teeny tiny tool boxes and locker! I love your minis!

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

With the Tantive IV hallway it is inevitable. Destiny, one might say.

Also, the
    Millennium Falcon sold out. Multiple times...

cooleddie74 likes this.
  10. Astra

Thanks! That locker was among many things a friend gave me but had been too small to use with 7" figures. Finally I can use her stuff!
    I think it's from a firestation, there is a lot of fire brigade helmets and rescue tools.

The sofa was standing too low, Janeway could not look out of the window when sitting on it. I needed a pedestal. I made it with styrofoam and some velour paper that dates back to my childhood in East Germany. I love using old stuff! Nothing gets thrown away here.

[​IMG]

Also I watched the episode "Unimatrix Zero" where Chakotay asks if the captain wants the carpets cleaned while she is away. Well...

[​IMG]

Avro Arrow, KimMH and Kai "the spy" like this.
  11. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

Great Work, Astra. Love all the accessoires you have, like the vacuum cleaner. They really make for cool photos!

Meanwhile, I caved in and got me a child. I'm weak. But it's so cute 8[

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

publiusr, Avro Arrow, KimMH and 2 others like this.
  12. KimMH

“I’ve had THE CHILD for 19 minutes but if anything were to happen to them-“

13. Astra

Thank you! I have lots and lots of dollhouse stuff There is basically nothing that you can't get in miniature.
    The vacuum cleaner and also a washing machine and dishwasher I have even do light up and make noises!
    I did a video once of them:

OMG that picture with Baby Yoda and Baby Groot is soooo cute!
    Also thanks for the reminder, I saw that the second Guardians of the Galaxian is on TV tonight and I haven't seen it yet. That's TV sorted for today.

I recently watched the Voyager episode "Memorial" in which B'Elanna surprises Tom with an old fashioned TV. Turned out, I have the exact same model that came with a Doctor Who figure. So of course I HAD to make this scene!

[​IMG]

KimMH, Avro Arrow and Kai "the spy" like this.
  14. KimMH

This ship I liked from the start- love this!
    The variety of minis is astounding and sounds like a very very deep dive!

15. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

Ah, Dollhouse stuff. Thanks for the tip! I googled for "Action Figure Accessoires" and all I ever found were weapons. Lots... of weapons XD. The Episode with Tom and the TV is one of my favorites. Well shot, good atmosphere, and it even had a nice Soundtrack. The story was neat either.

And a bit more rebels stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

publiusr, Avro Arrow, KimMH and 2 others like this.
  16. Astra

Actually the right term to look for at ebay is "dollhouse miniatures". Because they are handmade and for adults, not meant for children to play with. So they look most realistically. I love all the food especially.
    I was not aware but there are lots of people who do decorate dollhouses as adults. And some of this stuff can be quite expensive. I am also in a Facebook group where we give tips to each other how to make stuff from things others throw away. Best group ever.

What scale are your figures? For 6"-7" you also can look for Wrestling figures accessories. I have a wheelchair, gurney, shopping cart, suitcase that even opens and has stuff in it, briefcase... lots more useful stuff out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, if you have a lot of money - playsets!

This playset from the Spiderman universe:

[​IMG]

The Buffy library:

[​IMG]

And the Muppets kitchen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when you are really lucky, like me, then you have total strangers giving you stuff for free, because they know you can use it. Like all the food on the table here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, it's a good episode. It was so emotional watching them struggle with their memories.

I don't know any of your characters but I do like your pictures!

Kai "the spy" and KimMH like this.
  17. KimMH

Muppets Kitchen?!?! Shut the front door!

18. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

Thanks for all the tips! Super helpful :) My figures are 6-inch. It's the Crew from the animated show "Star Wars: Rebels." They have kind of a nice family dynamic going on, including a mom-like leader, a reluctant jedi-dad, two street-rat kids, a grumpy but cool unlce and the droid Chopper is basically the assholish house cat :D

Cool to hear that you have found such a generous and supportive facebook group (The food they gave you looks great!) Is it a german group? There doesn't seem to be a lack of collectors in germany, but I haven't found many that dabble in toy-photography.

Isn't that a physical impossibility? I thought one had either some action figures, or some money. Never both at the same time :D

Your sets look really cool but I prefer to build my own. That way, they are at least somewhat large and complete (with a floor and a roof). Companys usually just put out a wall or two, and that's it. They are very detailed of course, but... they are also more shelf pieces than anything else. The only playset I was ever somewhat impressed with was the Bridge of the Enterprise-D.

19. Astra

I mostly follow people who do toy photography on Instagram (#toyphotography) and also Twitter. I prefer people who do funny pictures. If I see someone having a Stormtrooper eating an ice cream, then I know I am right. I'm not so much into battle scenes.

It's an international group and the nicest and supportivest group you can imagine. If you feel down, those women (and a few men) certainly raise you up! Even if the maker thinks their own crafts are not that good, compared with others. But nobody is left out and we all watch and learn.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1675907215955924/

And so many good ideas. Some so simple but effective. When I made the shopping bags from clothes labels, that was an idea from this group.

[​IMG]

And you also learn things! Someone made an outhouse, and instead of the heart shaped hole in the door I know from Germany, they had a half moon which they apparently have in America. You never learn such things in school!

Well yeah, you got me there ;) When Corona hit, I suddenly found myself with a lot of money in my bank account. I am not used to it not being in the red! Usually I also travel a lot, for conventions, concerts, theatre, often to the UK. So I figured, that money needs to be spent and bring me happiness, and went on a shopping spree on ebay. So much so that they put a buying limit on me. Seriously. I had no idea these even exited!

The kitchen and the library are quite huge, and when I crop the picture enough and do close-ups you would not see the end of the set. I have been thinking about extending the kitchen floor.

But yeah, in general I agree. Then again I would not have the space for bigger sets, plus I don't want to dedicate my time to building only one thing, when I play in so many different fandoms.

Speaking of building, today in the morning I was lying in bed, thinking about things, when I had an epiphany. So this was my afternoon - from pencil sharpener to transporting box or whatever the official term is - does anyone know?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needs paint yet and I need to find a way how to attach the strap.

In the Star Trek Voyager episode "Natural Law" Chakotay has a leg injury and someone makes him a walking stick. I was fully prepared to make him one when I realized that I already have the perfect thing. But I don't remember with which figure it originally came with.

It's in the Doctor Who box, so either a Doctor Who figure (but I doubt that, surely I would remember) or some Buffy/Angel/Spike figure I used to buy at the time for headswapping.

Well, Chakotay has now claimed it at his own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  20. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain