Furuta series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by t_smitts, Nov 28, 2012.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, my discussion of various Trek miniatures continues with the Furuta series from Japan.

I just got two of them off ebay (Jem'Hadar and Prometheus) and I'm really happy with both for the most part. (One of the Prometheus nacelles is pointing upwards more than it should, but other than that, I'm fine with them). They're a bit bigger than the Johnny Lighting series, but pretty close.

I'd really like the Equinox, and maybe the Defiant and 1701-E, mainly cause JL never made those.

Anyone else get their hands on anything from this series? I'm curious what people thought of them. Having seen some pictures and youtube vids, I think a few, like Voyager, and possibly the 1701-D, don't look as good as their JL counterparts, but there's a few I'd be interested in.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Pictures?

3. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I have a Sovereign class and a Cardassian Galor. They're nice. Small, but for this size the details seem quite satisfactory. I'm not a big collector though, so these two suffice.

4. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I have the whole set I believe

5. t_smitts

Okay, here's some pictures. (I'm still struggling how to post the full-sized images, but you click on these)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see, the upper right nacelle on the Prometheus is a bit off, pointing up more than it should. I think I might try putting something between them to see if I can't eventually push it into place.[​IMG]

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

They're cool. I got the Equinox, the Enterprise-D, and the Prometheus (the nacelles on mine are straight, so it's not a common problem with that one). If you're a perfectionist, you might be a little disappointed, but I'd give the ones I have all a 9.5 out of 10 otherwise.

7. t_smitts

I'm not a complete perfectionist. It's just the nacelle is rather noticeably off.

I really like the Jem'Hadar though. (It was a really great price too!)

I'm now checking ebay on a daily basis to see if there's any Furuta or JL ships I want at a price I can afford.

8. C.E. Evans

I was actually referring to the paint jobs and some of the finer hull details on some ships. Some aren't 100% accurate, but still very close.

9. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have the Jem'Hadar ship. Beautiful; a quite underrated Star Trek ship design.

10. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Jem'Hadar fighter is a beautiful design IMO.

It makes a great enemy vessel to shoot down.

Kind of like how the Russians make many very beautiful planes that are comparable to our western aircraft in many ways.

11. t_smitts

Looking at it, you can clearly see how the ship designers were inspired by beetles or scarabs.

I have a Playmates Enterprise-D in storage somewhere. I have half a mind to get it, so I can see if it's the right scale for the Jem'Hadar to fly into! :lol:

I do wish someone had made the larger Dominion battle cruiser as well. Neither Galoob, nor Johnny Lightning, nor Furuta made one of those.

12. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

Is there any company that makes these ships to scale relative to one another?

PS. After some research I noticed that AMT makes them to scale, not exactly apparantly, but close enough. I wouldn't mind having all the Enterprises on my desk.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  13. t_smitts

A few individual ships, maybe, like the Reliant, the first two Enterprises, and Klingon Battle Cruiser, but for most, I would suspect it's not feasible.

Imagine the colossal size difference between a runabout and DS9, for instance.

14. EmperorTiberius

Yeah, some will be impossible, but this AMT company has all the Enterprises to approximate scale. Pretty cool

15. C.E. Evans

I do have the AMT models featuring the six Enterprises to scale. There is something to be said seeing them all together, a sense of Trek history or something.

One of my hopes is now that Hasbro has the license for Trek toys--which I think covers everything from TOS to Star Trek XII last I heard--they may one day do a line of titanium Trek ships as they did both Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. It'd also be very, very cool if they did the Enterprises in scale to one another.

16. EmperorTiberius

Thanks for the info, will keep an eye out for Hasbro

17. t_smitts

I don't know about Hasbro, but Mattel has recently produced a number of ships under the Hot Wheels lines:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Hot_Wheels

18. C.E. Evans

The thing with Hasbro is just something I wish they'd do. They may not go that route at all with the license (so far, the only future offerings are from their Kre-O line).

19. EmperorTiberius

Thanks

I know I'll look to Hasbro in the future if I decide to get some, may they'll have made some by then. Right now my eyes are on AMT models. I'll post here if I get them

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral