First Clear Picture of the Narada *Spoilers?* [not final toy image]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Klingon Empire, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Re: First Clear Picture of the Narada *Warning: Spoilers*

Non Trekker Trekkie did not. :lol:

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

NTT wouldn't have a "good run" even if he were suffering from chronic, bloody diarrhea.:rolleyes:

3. sunburn800

sunburn800 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

wow that is sad that is the best they could do?

4. cooleddie74

At least its not a carbon copy of or play on other late 24th century Romulan designs. I have always found it kinda unimaginative that so many TREK races have such cookie-cutter designs for practically all their ships, with the main differences being in size or purpose. This ship isn't what I'D have designed, but all things considered it's a nice change of pace after twenty years of Romulan ships emblazoned with warbirds and painted bright green or some other muted hue of the color.

5. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would it need to reflect TOS when it is coming from the post-Nemesis era?

By the way, this is probably worth repeating since some here seemed not to read all of the posts:

6. cooleddie74

Nero and his timeship don't and WON'T reflect TOS because they come from almost 120 years after TOS. They will be far more reflective of the Picard/Sisko/Janeway era. Don't forget that. Now...the USS Kelvin? That will feel more TOS-like even if its more advanced looking in many respects.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Paramount was willing to risk a lot of money on this movie just because a big-name producer was willing to do it. If this movie flops, the chance of another Trek movie getting the go ahead in the next ten years drops dramatically. That sounds like it harms the franchise. If any producers have gone to Paramount with an interest in making a new Trek series, a failed Trek XI will shut down any chance they have. That's harm to the franchise.

A badly made Star Trek film will shut down any new development for at least a decade. The "word" in Hollywood will be that Trek is "dead", even though all it really needs is a good script and an honest effort on the part of the cast and crew.

This joker, who didn't even know there'd been ten Trek movies made already (my God, that sounds incompetent or idiotic, please, someone debunk this), has picked up the torch and instituted some of the most abysmal design changes imaginable. Really, the sets and costumes and props and ships are freaking laughable -- no wonder people keep comparing them to a space comedy! The writing and acting had better be a whole lot better than the art direction or this thing is deader than Nemesis.

8. Garak

Here, I can only surmise from your post that you probably haven't seen the trailer yet:

Link

Enjoy!

9. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is just a few Trekkies playing "following the leader" since one bitter Trekkie made the comparison.

*Scratches head* And who is laughing? Hmm, no one.

10. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I happen to like the new designs, especially given what this film is meant to be.

As for knowing very little about Trek when he started, perhaps you aught to consider that Nicholas Meyer was given a meagre budget, and had only the knowledge that Star Trek was "the one with the guy with the pointy ears."

The results was Star Trek II, perhaps the best movie to come out of the Star Trek franchise.

Sometimes an outside view is the best thing to have. And there are die hard and casual Trek fans among his producers/writers etc. to keep him honest.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OMFG !!! He did not know ?

What is happening ? Has America's educational system gone to hell ? Have atheists and terrorists taken over ?
    Why are they not hanging such ignorant people from their own guts ????

THE BLASPHEMY !!!!!:eek::eek:

12. Garak

Is there some sort of authority we can report him to for immediate punishment?!?!?!?!??!

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Screw the authorities man. Us TRUE FANS must take law into our own hands !!!

I'm getting my pitchfork and my shotgun !

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

M'thinks you hit a nerve ...

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Really beacuse it w0uld be bad if his n0t liking zer0s cause him s0me medical pr0blems, we sh0uld pr0bably st0p at s0me p0int then, just n0t n0w.

and SDF Macross as well (I don't see why some Macross fans have to be grumpy about Robotech). Also the Zents are a badass race to take ship designs from Imean they did fry a good portion of the Earth.

You forgot torches and marshmellows, its not fun without torches and marshmellows.

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:
    I suppose I did. Do you think I should have expressed myself more gently -- someone should alert the moderators to check if I've overstepped any boundaries.

The really weird thing is ... up until November, I was solidly in their court. I was excited about this film. In fact, not only did I expect redesigns on classic Trek looks, but I was a little disappointed when the first images of the crew in old-style uniforms showed up, so it'd take some mental gymnastics to justify putting me into the "hates change" category. But I don't like any of the changes I'm seeing so far ... they're silly. I think the Galaxy Quest comparisons are spot-on if not in form, then certainly in mindset.

With the wonderful things said about the script by Nimoy and the glowing praise by people who've seen more than the rest of us, I'm still holding out hope, but it's a much more guarded optimism.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Naah, I think we're cool. :techman:

18. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend not to judge a film based on the toys I walk past at Target. :vulcan:

19. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I won't say it doesn't look good because it doesn't reflect TOS because honestly, that DOESN'T bother me.

It does bother me because it looks goofy.

20. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has to look goofy because you are comparing it to something. If you never saw TOS props you might think these are the coolest things ever.