50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably not, although it was pretty clearly greenscreen in the back so second unit could be shooting something and they quickly added a Straxisode while they were at it. They obviously knew they would be at T-square on that day, so they put together something to release early on.

Mark

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Would you be as bothered if it were just another RTD episode?

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, because he respects all of the series history and would have lived up to the job.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Of course he would have...

5. Mark_Nguyen

And the Doctor is 900 years old. ;)

Mark

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The closing of The Mill has had quite an impact on production. :)

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, and I though that Tory peeress yesterday who said "Mrs Thatcher had a universal appeal" was the funniest thing I'd hear all week...

8. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You need to get out more.

Moffat treats the Original Series as an embarassment to be apologised for. Hardly the qualifications needed to celebrate it, are they?

9. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, this is the Steven Moffat who was inspired to write by Doctor Who, who brought back the Ice Warriors, Silurians and Peter Davison's Doctor, and said "I hate this orthodoxy that Doctor Who suddenly became good in 2005 - that's not true. I didn't fall in love with that show because it was rubbish - it was because it was brilliant" is it?

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

You can just hear the gears turning

[​IMG]

"I wish this story was more complicated and the doctor had to save a little girl"

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'd rather see a Moffat 50th anniversary special than a RTD one. I was a big fan of the RTD era, but his big finales were usually ridiculously over the top and frenetic, with way too much pointless running around.

Moffat's story, whatever it is, is bound to be much more clever and unique.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It has been awhile since we saw the kitchen sink

;)

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly if it were up to me, I'd get RTD back as Producer, with Moffat doing stories. That seemed to yield the best results.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Both RTD and Moffat are respectful of the classic series. Moffat is a fan of the series as well, so I trust that he has the best interest of the series in mind. Generally, I think he's doing a great job. He's certainly included many elements of the classic series.

So, if he doesn't include a classic Doctor, I don't think it's out of spite for the classic series. I'd disagree with the decision but, well, you can't agree 100% with anybody!!

Mr Awe

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

We are still waiting for J. Edgar Hoover.

17. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Actually it's over 1100 years old if you are to believe the line from the first episode of last series that he was over 1100 years old just before he got shot.

As far as arguing over having more doctors or more former companions. It would be real easy to get a convoluted story with too many people in it. So I would understand a few relatively recent companions and 2 doctors and nods to the past doctors instead. A more expansive reunion story is something that Big Finish can do and they have proven to do those fairly well in their format.

But even in the classic format it was hard to really do good reunion stories. The only one that really worked well was the Three Doctors which was really only 2 doctors. Even the 5 Doctors was really only 3 of them with a ton of padding.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Who are you leaving out of The Five Doctors? Hurndall, Troughton and Pertwee all had quite a bit of screen time, it was only Baker who was left out, so, we actually had 4 active Doctors in The Five Doctors

I do wish they had devoted a few episodes to the Anniversary, and had a classicDoctor or two in each episode, because yea, with only an hour long special, it would get very crowded with 3 or more Doctors.

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ So, that suggests multiple issues. Although, I think even a 60 minute story can have 3 main characters (Smith, Tennant, and a classic Doctor). That's not too many. Throw in 3 supporting companions, and that's still OK. Many 60 minute shows will have that many characters without a problem.

However, the 50th should've been 90 minutes.

Mr Awe

20. Mark_Nguyen

Oh, I dunno. Lots and lots of episodes get along just fine with the Doctor, the Companion, and the Villain all eating up screen time. In this special, I'd be more worried about Clara being marginalized and Rose being set dressing.

Also, you could argue that re-telling most Classic stories in the current format would take half the time, so four 30-minute episodes could be told in an hour. As such, there should be PLENTY of time in this 90-mintue episode to have Doctors 8-11 and plenty of fun, IMO. Alas, not to be... :(

Mark