your ideas for new Starfleet technology

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by kent, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Photon rifle--
    Projectile weapon firing 8mm projectile containing one gram of matter and one gram of antimatter, rather like a tiny photon torpedo.

Personal forcefield--
    They already have it, they need to start USING it. Ranging from belt-mounted generator to vest-style for redshirts.

Portable tractor beam--
    Wesley invented it, Starfleet should start using it. Handy for away missions and other bad situations where you really need to lift a girder off somebody and don't have an android handy.

Personal cloaking device--
    Sure, Starfleet can use them for peaceful purposes. But the freaking Jem'hadar never signed the treaty of algernon, so we'd better start using them more often.
    Hunter seeker--
    A photon grenade equipped with a tricorder and a thruster pack. Automatically seeks out a specific target somewhere on the planet; basically, a hand-held fire and forget cruise missile. Non-lethal version can be used as a UAV for recon, surveilance, search and rescue, and emergency communications.

Portable microwave--
    Because when the power goes out, you shouldn't have to heat up your coffee with a freaking hand phaser!

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What kind of range on that? I don't think I'd want to be too close.:cool:

The personal force field is a good idea and would lend a bit more credibility to the (budget-dictated) small arms combat Trek ground wars appear to consist of. On the other hand, the apparent diminished effectiveness of hand-held beam weaponry in DS9 (non-fatal burns and disruption as opposed to TOS/TNG style glowy disintegration) suggests that at least some kind of armor is being utilized in SF uniforms. (But ironically not Breen power suits.)

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

-Some kind of thing to keep redshirts from being fatally wounded in firefights. You know, something that will block the brunt of the force from a blast. Coouldn't think of anything that could do that though.
    -Some kind of thing to keep consoles from exploding. You know, something that would stop a power surge (and not shoving rocks inside the consoles might help.) Can't think of anything that could do that though.
    -Some kind of thing to keep any old person from accessing the primary systems from anywhere on the ship and locking the bridge crew out of controls. Can't think of anything that could do that though.
    -Some kind of thing to keep people from flying out of their chairs when getting shaken around in battle. Some kind of restraint, perhaps? Can't think of anything that could do that though.
    -Some kind of thing to keep the warp core from catastrophically overloading every time Ensign Stupid McFumbles so much as sneezes near it. You know, like some kind of foolproof cutoff switch? Can't think of anything like that though.

4. Cmdr Sho

Cmdr Sho Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i would like to see nacelles integrated into starship hulls thus making the warp field smaller and possibly the ship faster (if that is possible?). i like the idea of EEH too.

5. Strider

Strider Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This one was bugging me all week. And then the solution just hit me while I was out driving. I guess that's just where I do my best thinking or something idk.

It's called a breaker box, and I sure wish I had one of those that time I turned on my coffee maker and my toaster at the same time. We were picking rocks out of hair for days after that mess.

6. Cmdr Sho

i would also like to see more of a personal transporter system. like a portable one... more holographic backups incase people die, and perhaps a hologram that can sustain its matrix on just organic food.

here is another idea...
    a medical system that instantly diagnose a patient and automaticly begins treatment (if the patient is in serious enough condition).

7. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I'm surprised that no-one's considered Star Wars-like "mechs / droids" rather than holo-personnel in the infirmary & elsewhere.

If main power dies, a mech / droid requires neither holo-matrices, nor does it need air. Its taught how to (carefully) place personnel in EVA suits in the event of imminent catastrophic decompression, carry incapacitated personnel or tow a biobed to an escape pod, shuttle, etc.

Can fire its own on-board phaser system, attach site-to-site transporter devices (such as the one Data stuck on Picard,) & carry a limited containment field generator in the event it becomes necessary to carry a limited air supply due to trying to assist incapacitated personnel to a shuttle deck or escape pod. Can use nanotechnology to alter / replicate a multi-tool on the end of each limb, as required.

8. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

I think most of us realize what can be done, but there's no incentive to espouse. If one is committed to letting the brain juices flow we're talking about turning the ST universe upside down and inside and out. I mean, I (and no doubt a bunch of others) could go on for pages and pages doing just that, but what's the point? At least for me, it's not worth the time to try to fix ST.

9. Herkimer Jitty

I'd like to see, you know, pressure doors. Ships lose power spontaneously so often, that I really wouldn't feel safe with nothing but a forcefield between my nice breathable atmosphere, and the not breathable bits outside.

Sometimes I'll watch an episode where they won't be able to send a probe somewhere cause it's too fragile and sucky, and the thought occurred that a dedicated science ship could carry shuttle or runabout sized drones (remote controlled of course), which would be designed to withstand extreme extreme xtreme situations.

Have you ever been to the Trek Tech forum before?

10. kv1at3485

Thankfully, my sarcasm detector still has sufficient sensitivity.

Anyway, I thought it a suitable reply to:

11. Crazy Eddie

It would have the explosive yield of a modern theatre balistic missile, so I think it's the type of thing you'd either mount on a sniper rifle, or it's something nobody should be using without their shields up.

Yeah, but... well, maybe I've been playing too much Halo, but somehow the idea that Starfleet officers in a gun fight should have to worry about the power level of their shields just like they do in Starship combat is intuitive to me. At the very least it's a piece of treknology worth of use as a plot devoice (say, the landing party is calling for help because their shield power cells are low).

12. Crazy Eddie

They already invented it. Just that, for some reason, they don't seem to use it ever. Exocomps and that telepresence probe thing Geordi was using ought to be standard by now.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The way we worked them out was that they work by scanning the shields as they impact and remodulate to the shield frequency to bypass (similar to how you could modulate the phaser in the video game Star Trek DS9: The Fallen to bypass forcefields). They had a range limit because the further they went the more energy they lost and it diminished their calculation ability and response times.

The Positronic Chips we use in our game were designed to increase the calculation and memory speed because they work on an artificial neural network. The person who plays my Chief Engineer came up with them though so my knowledge of them are limited.

14. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

sure it is... they did it with the Defiant, other races have donne it, not having exterior nacelles per say, in fact looking at many alien vessels I'm not sure how they go to warp, I'm guessing they have the warp coils but have they're own Deuterium supply, not needed the bussard collectors to sift it through all the Hydrogen

but a word to the wise, during the original designing process of the Constitiution class, it was said they where put far enough away from the main part of the ship for safty reasons, I'm guesing because of the plasma, which is a good idea but then, there easier for the enemie to hit, good thing for shields lol

umm I don't really see how this is a problem, there are no exposed areas that only have forcefields.. all of them have some kind of door or hatch...

hmm, thats neet, but, instead of having the torpedoe do all that have it phase out of our reality and then back into it after the... oh wait Transphasic Torpedo :guffaw:

hmm, what if you had a way to accuratly moniter the phaser/weapon strikes that hit your ship, routing shield systems through the deflector, because you know they have to adust there weapon frequency to go through their own shield or they'd drain there shields everytime they fired :guffaw:

but then if they automodulate then you might want to have onboard scanning of course, if they do, I'm sure it won't be slow, I wonder if the on-board scanner could keep up... so either way that might be a pain...

good idea though, its interesting because other than Transphasic Torpedoes, which can change phase, we really don't have any torps with adustable frequencies or anything except for Chroniton torpedoes, but then thats the inner workings not the actual shell, so I wonder if maybe you had some kind of energy field around the torp that would help it slip through... thats allot for a torpedo though, what kind of yield do these have?

you know if you knew what part of the shield emitter changed the frequency, and you had the shield frequency, at first, gave that info to the torp and have it keep an eye on what the emitters doing it could make a gues... but then by the time the torp gets close enough... that window would be closed, but what about a hybrid system for your torpedo..

get the info from the weapons send that info to to torpedo from your ship, but also have the torpedo run its own scansthat way the window wont close and the torp would be able to guestimate the next modulation, thats a enius torpedoe.....:guffaw:

and a hologram does?

I wasn't aware it was broken xd, and it's good to get those creative uices going, it opens our minds to new concepts, besides, the brain is like a muscle you know, if you don't use it.....

15. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

They...remodulate something or other after they explode, do they? Well, golly, the technobabble for that ought to fill another page of this thread.

16. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

ehh, it's not really that hard to comprehend, but when most ships don't have the sensor capacity to figure out those shield frequencies, let alone that fast before they remodulate, it seems an awefull lot for a torpedo to do, especially right neer impacted but then

his fanfic does have positronic circuitry that helps...

17. Herkimer Jitty

Except for the corridors, which run through an entire deck uninterrupted. Which means if they depressurize and the forcefields aren't workable, you're gonna have a hell of a time getting around that deck without a pressure suit or something.

18. kv1at3485

Alas, I don't see much in creative juices flowing in these sort of topics. It's a whole bunch of "one-off, limited use" scenarios without any exploration for wider implications. Nothing more than you already get in the show.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Ok I just checked with my group's chief engineer - who also has been designing these pieces of technology - and asked him about the Phoenix torpedoes. They operate not like I thought they did. They are in a state of flux similar to the Pegasus in the episode The Pegasus of TNG, but they have a range limit because of it and become standard torpedoes if they didn't impact in time. They don't scan as I thought they did and I apologize for my mistake. They are also, because of their flux, volatile and prone to detonation early because they operate without safeties.

20. Cmdr Sho

what about a promie class vessal after mvam? at warp the saucer has a nacell that pops out from the saucer hull... that would not be safe in the context that you are explaining.... the defient nacells still are outside the ship in a "wing" type formation... i thinking like soveriegn class nacells built into the hull so all you see is the caps...

on another note...

what about tractor beam buoy? it could stop ships crossing boarders.. would have less ships protrolling boarders...

point and match mate!