Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by NewHorizon, Dec 22, 2012.

1. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Before going any further, I understand that this may be a wildly unpopular idea, and while I respect that opinion it does not change my feelings on the matter.

So, with that out of the way.

I would like to start up a petition to ask CBS to allow CBS-Digital to fix the problems with Season 2. Yes, this will cost them money but I personally feel that the show is worth it.

I intend to alert Mike Okuda of the petition and ask him to inform CBS of it.

Here is the link to the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fix-stng2-blu/

I am far from the greatest writer, so if anyone would like to suggest revisions for cleaning up the text and making it more professional sounding, then please feel free to contribute and I will fix it.

Even if it never happens, I will know that we at the very least tried.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Um... are you really expecting them to spend the money to do it all over again and release another edition of season 2? If the fanbase is going to be bringing influence to bear on CBS, I think it would be better spent regarding season 3 or maybe 4 at this point.

3. NewHorizon

We already know Season 3 is being handled by CBS-D and the trailer looked excellent. Season 4 is being handled by another VFX company and we've also been told that CBS is planning to work more closely with them to ensure quality and consistency.

To answer your question, I have ZERO expectations, but it doesn't cost us anything to sign a petition and try.

It may only be one Season out of 7 but if this is the way TNG is going to be for the next 15 or 20 years, then it's worth it to ask for consistency.

Like I said, this may be wildly unpopular, but it's worth trying.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I just don't think season two is so poor as to need another release done.

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In a world of limitless resources, I'd be all for this. But if it did happen, it would delay the subsequent seasons, which would not be OK. The project is just way too big to justify, unlike a new restoration of a 2+ hour movie, like with Gladiator or Patton.

Off the top of my head, for every 10 effects shots in Season 2, 6 are underwhelming but satisfactory, 3 are decent, and 1 is a complete screw-up. For every 100 shots of live action, 5 are too grainy, 10 are not grainy enough or are too DNRed, 5 have bluescreen leak, and the rest are decent. A fairly above-average effort from HTV considering their résumé.

Now with Enterprise coming out on Blu-ray, that's pretty much free money for CBS as it will cost very little to release. It will only provide more capital to continue HD restorations of the rest of TV Trek. I'm glad DS9 comes before Voyager chronologically. I would not trust Voyager Blu-ray sales to keep the project alive. I'm done after DS9 Season 7.

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

No. Not everything will be perfect and there's no need to petition to get your way.

We were served a less-than-perfect thing. We're not entitled to anything better.

Consarnit.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe after sales of the current blu-rays have peaked and subsided, CBS just might do what he is suggesting.

Somewhat like they would repackage "collections" of episodes to keep Trek fans coming back to buy more and more.

A reedited and reworked (not just SFX) version of TNG could easily bring the fans in for another round of sales. Don't you think?

Reworked scenes, changed dialog, material from the "cutting room floor" (if it still exists), new CGI backgrounds with original actors, All these things will generate sales.

:)

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I can see the discussion at CBS now.

"Problems? What problems? How many copies did that thing sell again?"

(or, more realistically: "Petition? What petition? On the internet? What's that?" :p)

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's no way they're going to start from scratch and pay for a new restoration, and then mail copies out for free to everyone who bought the first set. That would make them eat a lot more money than they're willing to lose.

The alternative would be to start from scratch but only release it in stores to recover the costs. Fans who hated the first set would have to buy season 2 a second time. Fans would be in an uproar and refuse to pay again. CBS would know that, so there's really no realistic way a redo will work to satisfy both their bottom line and the fans, so this will be "good enough" for the foreseeable future.

10. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

i don't see it happening either. they said they were going to go back and fix early eps of the enterprise for the tos-r blu-rays. they never did.

11. NewHorizon

Yet, where is the harm in asking? I wouldn't expect them to mail anything for free, I would pay for a properly done set.

12. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But I think so. Maybe not all episodes / SFX shots, but some need polishing. Sometimes the 1701-D just looks like a bright white blop flying through space. :-/

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

An online petition? They'll HAVE to do something! Hey, I'll start one on The White House's website to get things REALLY going!

14. NewHorizon

Thanks for the thinly veiled sarcasm. Nothing is ever achieved without trying. Being a forum full of Star Trek fans, I would have expected far more open minded attitudes than this.

Online petitions can be useful. If a physical copy has more impact, print it off and send it wherever when a reasonable number has been reached.

Perfection? I never said anything about perfection. Perfection is unattainable, an is in reality unreasonable. Consistency is not unreasonable. This isn't a petition to 'get my way', it's a petition to politely ask CBS if they would consider finding a way to fix this. If they don't, fine, but at least an attempt was made.

Again, you bring up perfection. Perfection is not the issue here, consistency is. We were served a less-than-Season 1 thing, and as 'consumers' we should be entitled to a consistent product. Considering they expect us to pay the same price for it as Season 1. Perhaps they should have acknowledged the drop in quality with a drop in price, but that wasn't the case.

I don't expect CBS to reissue the entire season for free, that's not right considering it was HTV that screwed up. No, I would happily pay for the revamped version. If they wish to offer people who bought the HTV-Illuminate version a discount on an upgraded CBS-D version, that would be great but I really don't know how they would handle it if they chose to pursue it.

If anyone feels the text of the petition could be worded far more eloquently, and effectively than I have worded it, please feel free to help.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

With all due respect, just give it up already. :wtf:

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But then there's a such thing as realism. Some people signing an on-line petition is not going to motivate CBS to do anything considering 10,000 petitions demanding companies to do things are started on the internet everyday.

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen in-writing petitions handed to elected officials and been ignored.

Too easy for people to "speak out" on the Internet; conversely, it's easy to ignore.

We're lucky we got replacement discs for the first season with its egregious audio issues.

I doubt anything will be done for a handful of fans' nitpicking, pausing and zooming as they look for problems.

18. R. Star

I dunno, I'm the guy who sees no point in buying the BluRay sets that are just slightly better than my current DVD sets. My Trek experience really isn't going to be enhanced by being able to see their zippers better or slightly beefed up graphics. The cut scenes/outtakes and other extras are interesting, but will end up on youtube anyways.

And as mentioned, I'm sure there will be another edition some years down the road anyways. Lucas seems to have known what he was doing in re-releasing it every 10 years or so with new editing to generate sales.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I really wish people would quit saying this, it's simply a lie. Not only is the picture more detailed, the colors are truer and the sound is better.

You don't want to shell out for the upgraded sets? Fine. But it's pretty poor to be spreading out-and-out falsehoods. :rolleyes:

20. R. Star

Wow, so all your opinions are facts and anyone who disagrees with your opinion and has a different one is lying now? How objective of you.

As I said, it's slightly better. I'm sure you can point out all the small little details. To me it's quite insignificant and not worth shelling money for another set of DVDs when I have a perfectly good set now. If you want to, that is your prerogative, but it's pretty poor of you to be thinking your views are the only prevailing ones.