USS Atlantis NCC-32710

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Admiral Archer, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

So I already posted something similar in the fan fiction section under the name USS Ulysses, until I discovered that the name Ulysses is actually taken by a Nebula-class starship featured in the DS9 episode "The Adversary". The idea was inspired by my little Playmates Excelsior-class starship mini playset, and the fact that it was so bulky and disproportionate in comparison to other Excelsior-class models. So I researched all existing Excelsior-class ship names, and came up with the USS Atlantis. Here's the basic idea behind the design:

In the late 2360's, Galaxy-class starships were proving more and more successful in bringing peace to the Federation. One appealing aspect of the Galaxy-class assignments were the inclusion of extra space and facilities on board for families and civilians. As more and more families went into space, the need for other starships to be upgraded to meet the needs of civilian space travel became more apparent. Thus, Starfleet ordered a number of older ship classes to be upgraded to be more "family friendly." This was the idea behind the USS Atlantis.

The Atlantis began life as an Excelsior-class refit of the same sub-class as the Enterprise-B and the Lakota. After the vessel was chosen to be the testbed for the new upgrade, she was literally rebuilt from the ground up, using existing materials to create what Starfleet termed "Experimental Configuration #3".

Below are images and statistics regarding the "Experimental Configuration #3":

[​IMG]

2. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thread might be more useful with some actual images (as mentioned in the initial post).

3. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Try giving us the link:) Welcome as well:)

4. Admiral Archer

5. lennier1

:confused:

6. Admiral Archer

Wow. This sucks. I have no idea why this is giving me such a hard time. Well, can I upload photos from my hard drive, instead of screwing around with links and such? The photo is actually pretty small, so it shouldn't take up much space.

7. lennier1

Just use a free image hosting service like http://tinypic.com/ and then copy the URL that's in the field labeled "Direct Link for Layouts".

8. Admiral Archer

Ok, thanks! I hope you guys weren't expecting too much, but this should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

9. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's a nice ship you have got there Admiral Archer;)

10. Admiral Archer

You really think so? Thanks! :) I appreciate it!

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice :)

I have the Stargazer one :)

I got it off a cool guy from the UK :)

12. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I had several of those playsets, I never liked the look of this particular one. It's cool to see it again though.

13. Admiral Archer

Yeah, I have the Stargazer playset as well, and it does MUCH better justice to the original model than the Excelsior-class playset.

Dude, you live in Lexington, KY? How awesome is that? I used to live there during my late childhood and the majority of my teenage years. I love that place! :hugegrin:

Yeah, the appearance of this ship is something you have to kind of get used to. These playsets were supposed to be able to open up and depict a starship bridge set on the inside, so I'll forgive the bulkiness, but it does make it difficult to use convincingly as a starship model. Thus the reason I came up with the "Experimental Configuration #3", to explain away the inaccuracies. :)

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like you were trying to link to an attachment in an email of yours, which we would never be able to see anyway. You always need to upload to a picture hosting service like tinypic (like you did), Photobucket, or Imageshack.