Season 4: Just how much of it can be called Fanwank?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by teacake, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All of it, maybe. That doesn't mean it wasn't spectacular Trek.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well I might be able to afford the series collection after all. One of my monthly bills was $100 lower than expected, so I'll put extra money toward my credit card bill. And if Amazon does a Presidents Day sale in a few weeks, I might be able to get it.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got the whole series in mint condition for far less than the Amazon price, on eBay. Just sayin'.

4. Melakon

I've read too many horror stories about E-Bay and don't visit it. I've only used Amazon twice and they haven't disappointed me.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Klingon forehead arc is great stuff. We already had the problem of differing foreheads, the explanation is excellent.

Ebay is perfectly safe if you pay attention. I've been using it since 98, have over 600 feedback and have bought practically everything that way. I have been ripped off once, to the tune of 12.00. If you buy stuff via paypal you can get your money back anyway. Anyone with a "is this okay" Trek question should post it on the board, you will get told quickly if it is genuine.

Oh and like KingDaniels says, you will save heaps of money. Amazon can be very over priced.

A great place to buy dvd's is:

http://www.dvd.co.uk/

Very cheap postage (and I'm in Australia), great range, often mind blowingly cheap for tv. I bought all my Babylon 5 extra stuff from them (the rangers etc..) For obscure things that cost a lot in Aus this is where I go.

Here's their Enterprise page:

http://www.dvd.co.uk/fsearch.htm?q=enterprise&filter=a%3a1%3a260298

I bought some Stargate seasons from them for something like 8 dollars! They often reduce one season in a series. They might not be your cheapest for ENT but I highly recommend always checking with them, an excellent company all round.

6. Melakon

I tend to get impulsive on these things sometimes. I checked the used music store on the way home this morning (where I got 2 Fan Collectives and DS9:Season7 last month, but they had no Enterprise.

And that monthly bill was with the corner mom & pop type convenience store, where they let me run a tab because I've shopped there for 15 years.

So I might get an urge to spend the big bucks early while I have them, and worry about it around the 15th, when I'm usually broke anyway. And this is a short month, so March's check will be less of a wait.

Either way, I'll add the extra $100 to my usual more than minimum credit card payment, and try to sit on it as long as I can.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've had over 100 purchases on eBay, never burned once. They have ratings systems to avoid this... only buy from a seller with very high feedback or a minimum of a few thousand transactions and you'll be sound as a pound.

I picked up Enterprise season 4 at my local used media shop... for $20. It was a real steal ,even in CAD!

8. teacake

Ebay is pretty much my Walmart. Most people who have horror stories took a risk on a purchase with clear red flags. People complain they bought a fake item and yet the feedback is full of people complaining the item was fake :lol:

There are many established dvd sellers on ebay with stellar feedback who have specialized in selling dvd's for years. I often buy second hand dvd's as well and never had any problems.

9. Melakon

Okay, I committed. Amazon's price dropped another $25 (matching its Christmas price), so I jumped for it with next day shipping. And they showed it as the only one left for that offer. It's shipped by Amazon, and I think they have a distribution center in my city.

I should be able to start catching up tomorrow.

Edit: Just looked, and the price jumped back up after I bought it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. teacake

That's great!!!!

Which season is it?

11. Melakon

I'm getting the complete set with all seasons, which is why I had trouble committing. I'd been thinking about it since December, was hoping for last month due to my birthday.

The only complete collection I ever had was Paramount's pre-recorded TOS tapes, until someone I trusted robbed me.

12. teacake

You won't regret it and I must say I envy you with NEW TREK in front of you.

13. Melakon

I'll probably start with Broken Bow, though I didn't start missing lots of shows until S3. I missed a lot after the Xindi were introduced, and sometimes had no idea what was going on if I caught an occasional episode. I should probably limit myself to 2 hours a day rather than jump ahead or watch them right after another.

EDIT: It's here! I'll watch the featurettes first before getting down to business. ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  14. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Season 4 is basically the very definition of fanwank.

That being said, it was kind of interesting to see how Trek looks like when it has a showrunner who's seemingly obsessed with canon and continuity. ;)