What if instead of the classic phrases

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lt. Cheka Wey, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

And other old Trek references which they felt obligated to do to keep the hardcore trekkies happy ( i watched almost all Trek episodes and read some books but i don't care for easter eggs in the new movie) they would had casted one of the old captains is a major role in Into Darknesss? I feel that the Tribble, Spock and thei am a doctor... kind of detract for the plot. I feel that way they could had made the hardcore fans more happy and the plot would be more straightforward and focused. Weller did a good job but Stewart or Books or Mulgre could had done just as well.

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

What you mean by hardcore fans is 24th century fans, who basically get nothing...

You have Spiner in a cryotube, what more do you want? :lol:

Seriously though I can just imagine the outrage if Stewart or Mulgrew was to portray a baddie.
    The role of an Admiral is too close to their TNG/VOY roles and would be confusing. I mean during the movie I'd be thinking is that the real Picard, is that his father, is he in disguise, has he travelled in time, is this the MU version of Picard? I'd lose track of the movie.

Actually I have no problem with any of the 24th century guys being in a movie provided there is no confusion over their role

3. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

1. Why are the Tribble, Spock and thei am doctor. . . detracting to the plot?

2. If the easter eggs are bad, why wouldn't having Stewart or Brooks or Mulgrew been bad?

3. If having Stewart or Brooks or Mulgrew is good, why is having the easter eggs bad?

:confused:

4. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[Dennis] No. [/Dennis]

5. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Thez feel like they were shoehorned in, even if tribble produces a deus ex machina.

In that case it would not hurt the tightness of the plot.

It etracts from the plot theway they did it.

6. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

Spock Prime is behind the new timeline (or whatever you prefer to call it). So, him being there is not 'jarring' other than his movement to the past being 'jarring' to the timeline.

As it is the same general universe, why would the presence of a tribble be a problem? McCoy's personality, and therefore manners of speech, would likely be similar as well.

If anything, seeing Stewart, Brooks or Mulgrew as a different character would have a far greater effect of taking you 'out of the movie' than the things you cited. Seeing Mulgrew in character in Nemesis was bad enough!

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if it's Mulgrew with an eyepatch.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I have no idea what you're saying. Could you expand on that ?

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It really doesn't.

I loved the easter eggs.

10. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As an OS fan I would have been disappointed if they had not included some homages. It is, after all, a revisiting of those characters. These are the characterizations of them I found lacking in the OS film era. The reviving of these characters in this way literally is a dream come true.

All that said, I would not be opposed to prime universe actors being given alternate character roles in nuverse stories, so long as they don't become a hugh drain on the budget. I am accepting new actors in classic roles so accepting classic actors in nu roles shouldn't be a problem.

11. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

The Tribble was not the problem there were just to many homages.
    Yeah but you are not the average moviegoer when it comes to Trek.

12. Belz...

1) How do you define "too many" ?
    2) The average moviegoer didn't notice them, so it doesn't hurt the movie.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure the average moviegoer would even notice them.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Please explain to me why "I'm a doctor..." is an Easter egg. It's a key component of the character! Leaving it out would be like omitting the Vulcan salute.

15. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

It is, it's a movie and it's pretty clear he is a doctor and he will stay that. It's not a key component, it's just a ctatchphrase.

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

And if she had true grit.

17. Belz...

So... are you going to answer anyone's points ?

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What a buzzkill.