Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

Not if you have to buy 5 or 6 different subscription based fees.

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Even if all of them are 10 bucks (they're not), you'd still be playing 50-60 bucks of a month. That includes Roku, which is mostly free after you pay for the device.

How much is your cable bill?

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There are better science channels and docs streaming than on cable TV, which has now devolved into UFO, hicks, and reality shows. Even Discovery and Science channel aren't immune.

4. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep. Once you start adding up all the services + the internet cost in a non-bundle package the price ends up being the same or more and is much less convenient than just having a cable service. Cord cutting only saves money if you're disciplined on what you pay to stream. That being said, paying for CBS for Star Trek is no different than people paying for HBO for GOT or Netflix just for House of Cards.

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

You actually DON'T have to do that. You have the freedom to look at each service's offerings and pick the service(s) you want.

6. Squiggy

Netflix: 7.99
    Hulu: 7.99
    Amazon: 8.25/month
    CBS: 6.99

That gets you most of everything for $31.22.

Comcast's basic cable and internet package runs you 39.99/month. With that you get the networks and...that's really about it.

7. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

The point is I got alot of services asking for my money, more than I can count.

And so far CBS is at the bottom of that heap by a wide margin.

It's not even in the top five.

I'm sure I'll watch the new series, however the idea I'm gonna subscribe out of some loyalty is a bit much when the quality of the product is seriously in question.

8. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

That's assuming there aren't more subscription based launches in the next few months.

Not to mention I don't know how you could pass over hbo's.

What about NHL hockey?

9. Squiggy

I also assumed that Netflix would still be around in 2017 and some other crazy things like the world not ending.

Because I pay for HBO via my cable provider so it wasn't on the top of my mind.

Not a fan.

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I read this a few days ago. I highly doubt this would happen simce CBSAA is just getting off the ground.

http://www.tmrzoo.com/2015/68218/why-cbs-new-star-trek-reboot-is-doomed-to-fail

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering he states as a fact a return to the Prime Universe, I would tend to take anything said in that article with a grain of salt. Sure some fans will pirate the show, but fans would pirate the show if it aired on CBS too. I trust Les Moonves has run the numbers and knows the market and finances behind the move a lot better than some guy on a random website.