(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Allegedly Chelsea has offered 70 million euros to Real Madrid for Sergio Ramos.

I'll be rooting for Fulham to avoid relegation because of Bride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Keller and Johnson.

2. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I wonder if this means they'll blow up the team. I heard that the locker room in Barca is very clique-y and doesn't particularly get along.

4. Daedalus12

Barca shouldn't be blown up. They should get rid of players like Thuram (too old), Henry (homesick), Deco (no longer motivated) and Ronaldihno (so he can come here :D). Zambrotta to Milan deal according to many papers in Italy is already done. Reportedly it's worth 8 million Euros.

Their core is still world class. Abidal, Puyol and Millito in the back are very solid. A central midfield consisted of Toure, Xavi and Iniesta would be envy of most teams. In the forward position you know about Messi and E'too.

Arrivederci Gattuso? Mediaset (Berlusconi's own outlet) has reported this sudden transfer news. Gattuso has agreed to a transfer to Bayern Munich worth about 15 to 20 million Euros (great deal if it's true). I didn't think a DM of his age can be worth this much.

5. TheArsenal

Well, the off season rumor mill is already in full gear. Some rumors are silly, some a lock.

Talkinga bout Barca, Spurs appear to want Eto'o. I heard there was some question as to whether they can afford him. I would be surprised if he went to a club not playing ECL football. He also now linked with Arsenal.

Hleb's agent says the midfielder's move to Inter is near certain. This is madness. Arsenal could afford to lose Flamini. And it could afford to lose Hleb. In no universe can it afford to lose both. Both these players make Fabregas better, and I can't imagine he's at all happy.

Back to Barca for winner of the silliest rumor so far: Henry to ... America. Not just America, but the brand new team Seattle. Football aside, and that's a big aside, he was publicly moaning that Spain was top far from his daughter in London. Can't imagine the West Coast working.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

What english club would want Henry ??? he's nowhere near as good as before and to be honest mardy as well. Eto will probably end up at Arsenal if he comes to PL.

I still think Berbatov will end up at Utd so Spurs will need to buy a top class replacement though I can't believe he wants to get rid of Huddlestone who is a very good passer of the ball. I feel RAMOS will ruin the english culture and bring in player from aboard.

7. TheArsenal

Well Keegan said he would want Henry. And Wenger said he would "never say never" to his return. I also imagine a few other clubs would gladly take a partly fit Henry. Exhibit A: Curbishley bought Freddie Ljungberg on his massive wages when anyone who watches football part time could tell you FL was never going to have a run of fitness again. But, it's all moot really; Henry has clearly said he would only come back to one club in England. My bet is he stays in Spain. If the new manager puts in a system which suits him, he may actually show some of the old Henry again. When fit.

Now I'm reading Adebayor is making wage demands at the club. Every single summer its the same thing. Never how will the team improve with key signings, but can Arsenal hold on to the key players it has. I've grown weary of it. This is a big summer. It's been three seasons since silverware. The youth system is working fine, but it time to buy some veterans and put experience in the team. I say bring in Micah Richards for some English steel in the back.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

only if you play him at right back which you won't casue you have a good one already. Am sick of seeing Micah at Centre back :wtf:

9. TheArsenal

Senderos is off I'll bet. Djrourou and Hoyte aren't good enough. Wenger no longer plays Eboue at right back. So ... Arsenal have no real quality second choices at right back or central defense spots. Micah solves that problem. And 2nd choice Centre backs traditionally get long runs in the Arsenal side.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Does Micah want to be 2nd choice even if he gets played somtimes. Arsenal have been linked with Kompany today who would be a good choice and Ben Afra for the left wing.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I won't try to second guess Arsene but I'd love to have Richards at Arsenal. That said, there was a story on the BBC Gossip Column about us going for Richard Dunne instead!

As for today, all I really have to say is Spurs ? Champions League ? You're havin' a laugh!

Anyone remember when that bunch of overpriced losers were supposed to knock us out of the top four ? Now they can't even finish in the top ten.

12. Daedalus12

I mentioned way before this season started that the Spurs wouldn't displace Arsenal from the top 4. Their porous defense wasn't fixed over the last summer so it was pretty clear that they wouldn't challenge for that UEFA CL spot.

Anyways congratulation to McBride, the rest of the Americans and Fulham for staying up.

Congratulation to Manchester United for winning their 2nd Premiership in a row.

Congratulation to Ryan Giggs for winning his 9th title. A true British football legend.

Now Chelsea I hope you guys twat them Manc bastards in the Champions league final so I won't have to hear an endless stream of bragging from all the United fans in this school. :rommie:

Congratulation to Roma for closing on Inter today in the Scudetto race. I hope you guys eclipsed them next week which would make my day even if Milan do miss out on the Champions league spot.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Actually its Giggs 10th PL medal

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

England Squad:

David James (Portsmouth), Joe Hart (Man City), Chris Kirkland (Wigan)

Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Man Utd), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Blackburn), David Wheater (Middlesbrough), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham)

Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), David Beckham (LA Galaxy), David Bentley (Blackburn), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Owen Hargreaves (Man Utd), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Dean Ashton (West Ham), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth), Michael Owen (Newcastle), Wayne Rooney (Man Utd)

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

A little different than the one I picked and assuming Terry is fit or at least one of the games this would of been my squad...

GK - Hart
    GK - James
    GK - Kirkland
    RB - Johnson, Hargreaves
    CB - Ferdinand (c), Terry, Wheater, Woodgate, Lescott
    LB - Baines, A.Cole
    RM - Beckham, Walcott, Bentley
    CM - Lampard, Carrick, Gerrard, Jenas, Barry
    LM - Young, J.Cole
    FW- Owen, Ashton, Agbonlahor, Rooney, Defoe, Crouch

And I would of played two different sides with...

My XI vs. USA...

GK - Hart

RB - Johnson
    CB - Ferdinand (c), Terry/Wheater (Woodgate to feature in 2nd half and Lescott if no Terry)
    LB - Baines

RM - Beckham (Walcott Half Time)
    CM - Lampard, Carrick (Jenas for Lamps in 2nd half)
    LM - Young

FW- Owen, Ashton (Agbonlahor for Ashton in 2nd half)

My XI vs. T/T...

GK - Kirkland

RB - Johnson (Hargreaves on at half time)
    CB - Terry, Woodgate (Lescott on for Terry in 2nd half if not fit then start Wheater for Terry)
    LB - A.Cole

RM - Bentley (Walcott in 2nd half)
    CM - Gerrard, Barry(Jenas for Lamps in 2nd half)
    LM - Young

FW- Rooney, Defoe (Crouch for Defoe in 2nd half)

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm still against some of these mediocre players being picked on their reputations alone. Yes, I know I hate Spurs but even so, Jenas and Huddlestone have done nothing to show that they are England quality. If they are so good, why does Huddlestone sit on a bench every week and why haven't Spurs finished in the top ten ?

We should be looking to the U21's to fill out the squad.

17. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the latest squad does a pretty solid job of highlighting just how bereft of talent in depth we are at the moment.

Jenas? Huddlestone? Jagielka? WTF?!

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Jagielka's not so bad, but he's not exactly world class. I do not mind having utility players who can fill a number of gaps in the squad. Jagielka can play right back, centre back or defensive midfield.

Back to the transfer gossip - Arsene is saying on Arsenal.com that he will be making offers for two players in the next two weeks. One from outside the Premier League and one from within. My money is on Hatem Ben Arfa being the one from outside.

As for the one from within I am not sure. He does note that he expects this player to be expensive. Gareth Barry ? Micah Richards ? Gabriel Agbonlahor ?

We have also been linked with a bargain basement move for Richard Dunne. Dunne would be available for a miniscule £1m.

19. RaulMacca

RaulMacca Vice Admiral Admiral

Just back from the UEFA Cup final and what a few weeks I've had, was in Madrid when the boys came back as champions the crowd was huge but nothing compared to last night in manchester, god only knows what the real figure was but I know this it was way more than 100,000 rangers fans they expected.
    Rangers as always this year were awful to watch and frankly deserved nothing from the game, but we deserved something for our drinking and singing plus creating rivers of piss that ran through the littered and soiled streets of manchester.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Huddlestone is in the U21's and is a regular in midfield with Noble.