What was the first ST movie you ever saw in theaters?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by HarryCanyon1982, May 28, 2015.

1. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I believe it was TUC.

2. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Insurrection when I was 9, possibly opening week, and I think even then I was kind of meh about it overall even though I liked some scenes.

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TMP, Christmas break 1979, just turned 10.

4. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TMP the first week it was out.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here, except I was nine.

6. HarryCanyon1982

HarryCanyon1982 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My parents saw it opening day and it was a week before i was born they told me, my dad thought it was far better than part 1. I saw it on HBO at age 4 and i dug it.

7. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Sorry for the derail - I love The Black Hole. Vastly underrated and extremely dark movie, and one (unlike Point Break) I wouldn't mind if they remade.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Unlike many my age, I hadn't been into Trek during the rerun heyday of the 70s. I had caught TMP on Showtime and it held my interest...hadn't seen TWOK at all yet. I went to see TSFS with a junior high school friend who was into Trek. I made a point of checking out TWOK on home video that summer, and this proved to be a major stepping stone in my becoming a fan.

Even not knowing much about Trek at that point, I got a good laugh out of Bones' reaction upon finding out what Spock had done to him....

9. HarryCanyon1982

HarryCanyon1982 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TWOK rated R by today? more PG-13 you mean.

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TMP. 1979.

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TUC was the first one I actually remember being in theaters (I was 8 at the time), but I never went to see it. I didn't catch GENS either when it came and went, the first one I caught at theaters was First Contact.

12. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I saw Generations and/or FC in theaters with my parents but I was so young the first one I actually remember seeing was Nemesis.

13. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

TWOK when it first came out.

While i enjoyed the animated and original stuff, this is what made me a fan.

It's a very powerful movie for me.

14. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Before I give my personal Trek cinema first...wow!

Wow, I'm surprised by how many entries there are for: TMP, TUC and GEN.

I feel partly young and partly old!

Finally a kindred spirit.

Star Trek III was the first Trek I saw in theater and the second film I ever saw in the theater (Return of the Jedi was the first movie I saw in theaters). I was around 8 or 9 years old.

LOVED IT.

I can still remember a crying kid in the theater and his dad comforting him by saying, "There, there, there, Star Wars is going to start any minute." :alienblush:

I can still, very tangibly, remember how shocked I felt when the Enterprise was blowing up and and how I loved the hijacking of the Enterprise segment. (I can remember watching the saucer disintegrate and thinking, "Nah, they're going to fix it, they'll fix, it's a dream...::BOOM!!!!::....fireball streaking the sky...ok, maybe not...OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!"

I remember my dad trying to cover my eyes briefly (and my attempts at dodging his hand) when David was opening Spock's casket, but I also remember he quickly allowed me to watch when there was nothing in there.

I can remember a model Enterprise hovering over the popcorn stand and a HUGE line at the boxoffice and popcorn stand.

Seven years later, I went to see TUC at the same theater and was depressed that there was no long line at the boxoffice, or popcorn stand, but the theater was packed with Trek fans. That buzz was missing.

Anyway, I love Trek III.

15. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

First Contact, with my dad.

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Nemesis, when I was 22. I had been a fan since the age of 4, but it was always lack of permission, lack of money, or lack of free time that kept me from each and every movie right up until the last one (of the TOS/TNG era).

17. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

STIII was the second trek movie for me but I can remember it more than II (bit older obviously. was too young for II really). And yes III was such a big f'in deal at the time. A blockbuster like Temple of Doom or GB (obviously not as big as those but still big) Forget all the odd movies = bad retrospective stuff, everyone dug III at the time and the ENT destruction was as big a deal as Spocks death.

That kid might've thought it was star wars when he watching as it had abit of a Lucas feel to it with the ILMy look, the multiple planets/ships, Klingons/dog, cantina, alien microbes, crew becoming rebels, ship battles, and the fight at the end with all the lava recalled Temple of Doom. Then again he was probably crying because he knew his stupid dad had got it wrong:rommie:

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I never even considered it, but that would have been pretty funny if David had opened the casket and actually found a rotting Spock in there.

"Never mind--Call off the movie--He really is dead! Show's over, folks, nothing to see here...!"

19. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

TMP, opening day, first showing. :techman:

I saw it twice that first day and five and a half times before new years (I went to the 10:30 PM showing new years eve).

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

TMP on opening day.