AKA Jessica Jones coming to ABC

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Melissa Rossenberg who is now known for adapting the "Twilight" films is adapting Brian Michael Bendis acclaimed comic "Alias". Obviously they can't use "Alias" so they're going with the lame title "AKA Jessica Jones". So far as the article says Marvel has declined to comment. This would seem to be the third show that Marvel TV is developing...the other two are "Hulk" and possibly "Cloak and Dagger" for ABC Family.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118029209

If this gets picked up. That means in the next two or three years we will have potentially six live action television series on air. "Wonder Woman", "Raven", "Blue Beetle" (if this is still in development), "Hulk", "Cloak and Dagger, and "AKA Jessica Jones". I don't think there has ever been that many on air at the same time before. Not including animated series that will be airing as well.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That title needs to be changed ASAP. Holy shit.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I love Jessica Jones, and it's a shame that they can't use "Alias", but that title is lame.

4. "A.K.A" alone is not a bad title. AKA Jessica Jones sounds pretty bad.

5. Admiral_Young

I would just use "The Pulse" which was what "Alias" became anyways. I'm a big Jessica Jones fan too. Maybe we'll get to see Luke Cage in this :)

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I agree that "AKA" alone would be a better title.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a show on right now in England called "pulse" or at least a pilot was aired a few months back at the sme time as four other shows and the highest rated will get a spot in the line up. Some crappy thing about evil doctors using weird science I couldn't get through to the end of because it sucked...

One of my favourite lines ever was form Pulse.

Drunk Jessica to Wolverine : "hey, Fuck you, no fuck you, yeah fuck you: My boyfriend can kick your fucking ass."

Wolverine : "Yeah. Right. Sure. What's his name?"

Dunk Jessica : "Luke Cage."

Wolverine : "Okay. Yeah. Yes, he probably could at that."

In the late 70s there was a show called Alias Smith and Jones about cowboy bank robbers in some ancient version of parole/witness protection, but there was an english sketch comedy show called Allas Smith and Jones.

AKA sounds horrible.

Apart form James Bond mentioning Alias on Chuck last month it's possible that the kids today don't remember such olden day things as the beginning of this decade... Wait? Is 2010 the beginning of the new decade? Well 2011 certainly is.

I remember they tried to make Alias comics butt hey weren't allowed to use the name because Alias was being published at the time and they had to call the book "Agent Bristow" so fairs fair?

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

This could be interesting except for two things: First, they'll have to water it down for ABC, and second, it will (probably) lose its connection to the Marvel Universe, which was part of the appeal for me. We'll see....

9. Admiral_Young

I don't think it will lose it's connection to the Marvel U since this is being produced by Marvel TV and so that means Jeph Loeb will have an Executive Producer's credit most like. As will Bendis being the creator of the comic. Marvel has been pushing heavily they're new animated and TV divisions specifically to reflect this.

10. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ That's what has me puzzled, in terms of the premise of the series. What will the actual premise be, if they sever it from the context of the original book? Private investigator with inconsistent superpowers? I don't know that this alone would make it stand out...

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

11. Guy Gardener

When Kazar asked her to go to the Savage land to find his Tiger Zabu... It's like she was rainman stuttering the phrase "Go fuck yourself" keeping time with a beat box.

Daredevil, not that he understood, but he played Andrew McCartney in the Alias version of pretty in Pink... That's right Luke "SAY MY NAME JUNKIE" Cage was/is Ducky (John Cryer.). DUCKY GOT THE GIRL!!! Andrew and daredevil are both dick heads.

What's Molly doing these days?

12. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Dude, I think you're thinking of Ant-Man as Andrew McCarthy, Daredevil was more Annie Potts.

Anyway, Luke Cage as Ducky don't fit and all - I'd say Luke was more Mr Big to Jessica's Carrie, and Scott Lang was Aidan.

Yeah I went there. I hate myself too.

Or are we strictly sticking with Molly Ringwald movies for Alias comparatives?

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't really see this working. It would be as if they tried to make 52 a television show. I'm not saying that it would be bad, just that the attempt serve the audience that doesn't have any idea who the fuck Spider-Woman is presents a lot of pressures that would undermine, as someone else said, the appeal of the series.

Also, less cursing, and presumably less Purple Man rape.

14. Guy Gardener

The Spider-Woman cartoon in the 80s was awesome.

I dare not watch it as an adult to learn otherwise.

I completely forgot about Scott.

It's unbelievable how long ago he died.

The seminal line from Alias: "How come every time you tell a guy he can do anything he wants, he always does the same thing?"

At the time many years ago, I saw this awkwardly pretty actress on 6 feet under, and I immediately thought of her as Jessica Jones and then she took all her clothes off.

Tina Holmes.

Good times.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, that's why I added "probably" at the last minute. But will we really see characters like Captain America and Luke Cage? Different versions of Iron Man or FF than the movies? That would be pretty cool if so. Well, possibly pretty cool.

16. Guy Gardener

And Squirrel Girl?

So this Marvel TV thing means that they can go apeshit with established characters without paying through the nose unlike when some shmoe buys a license to play with just a few characters who hang out in one book.

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they'll use a number of obscure Marvel characters but any character that has it's rights tied up with another studio will be off limits.

18. Guy Gardener

There's Spider-Man and then the rest are obscure... Regular people think stuff like the fantastic Four and Iron Man are made up shit like Meteor Man or My Super hero Exgirlfriend.

Regular people make me sick.

19. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Some rather talented people behind this development.. hope it comes to pass...

20. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume this does not refer to Jeph Loeb, or--holy shit, I just read the actual article--the screenwriter of Twilight.

(Who still writes better than Jeph Loeb, but yuck.)