Where's the Main Computer in STID?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lapis Exilis, Jun 9, 2013.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Every one of the series, not just TOS, had the crew being shown doing research with the computer. I mentioned earlier that Spock and Kirk had done research with the computer, and their results were mentioned in a few lines of dialog.

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Where's the Main Computer in STID?"

It is home, washing its tights! ;)

The characters seemed to know all they needed to know without it, and if they did access it to get said info then I am glad they didn't bog down the pacing by showing us those events. As has been said computers aren't new, the novelty has worn off and I appreciated the producers get that.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. It's like the use of communicators as if they're cellular phones in this movie - given the current immersion of the movie-going audience in this kind of consumer technology, treated those flip-boxes as if they're exotic tech or having them function in some way very dissimilar from phones would simply be a distraction.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That was me. ;)

I found it pretty "meh" but if I had to choose between that and a talking computer console, I'd go with Nimoy.

I can see some confusion, I suppose, but as to the 300 hundred years--if someone is 300 years old, isn't it unlikely they did anything of note in the year of their birth?

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Yhe plaza was where computer cores normally go. We will probably see a real server farm (on one saucer deck) in future movies

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

One thing I wish they would do is let the computer drop them out of warp. Sulu does it manually!

A millionth of a second off would make them crash in to Titan or wherever they're flying to.

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not likely. That would've been as much a "red flag" to anyone interested in computer hacking as seeing Khan undisguised on the street would be to history buffs specializing in (particular aspects of) the late 20th Century.

It would have drawn Undue Attention.

8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

TOS is full of that. In the episode where they went back in time and had to beam the 20th century people back into their bodies and they were moving back in time rapidly Kirk manually gave the order to beam them back. Then Scotty or whoever did it delayed a couple of seconds (for dramatic effect). That could have been a couple of hours difference the way they were accelerating through time. It really needed exact timing there. There's no way the computer wouldn't have to plot that out. Still its not as cool getting the computer to do it.

9. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked that, especially showing Pike receiving a 'text message' about the meeting, it made sense and showed the designers original intent that there would be a screen inside the flip part.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The best use of a Talking Computer.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjo9dldp2g[/yt]

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ :guffaw: It's really impressive how GQ just nailed it, repeatedly. In many ways, it's a better Star Trek than Star Trek ever was.

OK, okay, I meant some ways, in some ways.... :alienblush:

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I wonder if Quinto ever played Richard III?

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Shatner played Henry V and got good reviews. Does that count?

14. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

And they would have had an opportunity to do this... when?

Honestly. The ship is getting shot to pieces by a deranged Starfleet admiral with the biggest scariest starship you've ever seen, and your first instinct is to jump on a computer and google the first name of that guy you've got locked up in the brig downstairs.

Try running a google search for the word "Khan" and ignore all the Star Trek references. Now try doing that while in the middle of a gun fight with your ship falling apart around you.

15. throwback

I am forgetting the movie already, so before I answered to the question, when would it be a good time to do a search, I have a question - when did Khan reveal his name?

16. Crazy Eddie

About 45 seconds before Sulu picked up USS Vengeance warping towards them on their sensors. By which time, Kirk is a lot less interested in who Khan is than he is in what the hell is going on between Khan and Marcus.

Actually, even without looking up Khan's background, both Kirk and Spock come to relatively clear conclusions about who he really is. During the gun battle to take the Vengeance, for example, Kirk orders Scotty to "drop him" as soon as they take the bridge. Scotty says "I thought he was helping us?" to which Kirk replies "No, Scotty, I'm pretty sure we're helping him."

Oldspock didn't tell NuSpock anything he didn't already know, except that Khan's singular weakness is his single-mindedness: once he's dedicated himself to a particular objective, he'll usually follow it even if that objective rolls off a cliff.

17. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Which response should I give?

1. We should have seen Spock doing 2 hours of research. Then Spock should have asked the Computer! One hour of the Computer talking! :drool:":scream:

or

2. We didn't see Spock do research or talk to the Computer! Plot Hole!" :scream:

or

3. :rolleyes:

18. throwback

Spock does the research off-screen. He reports to Kirk the results of this research. The general audience member will go, "Oh, that is who Khan is. Okay, now I get why he is such a big threat."

19. Crazy Eddie

Because Khan pulling a John Rambo on Starfleet headquarters and a platoon of heavily armed Klingon troopers wasn't good enough:vulcan:.

Anyone who wants to know who Khan ACTUALLY is can do what my sister/friends/wife/cousins/boss/daughter did and watch Space Seed on Netflix. Anyone who wants to know how the Enterprise ACTUALLY beat Khan last time around can watch Wrath of Khan. Anyone who wants to know why they need to be worried about Khan simply needs to not miss the first half of the movie.

20. throwback

Edited out. Comment didn't add to discussion.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013