blue ray - further extended cuts?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by FreddyE, Nov 30, 2012.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I´m really looking forward to the extended cut of Measure of a Man. That got me thinking, do we know of any other episodes that had significantly more material filmed (meaning more then just 2 or 3 minutes) then was used?

2. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shades of Grey had over 30 hours of footage that was cut back.

3. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

*snortle.*

You win. :guffaw:

4. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Interviews accompanying the episodes last night said that the only reason the extended cut of MoaM exists is b/c an unfinished and unofficial copy was snuck out to Melinda Snodgrass and she happened to hang on to it. If not for that, the scenes would have been lost. That makes me think that, as a rule, cut scenes weren't saved so we'll need another situation where a crew member randomly happens to have saved a rough cut for some reason. Seems fairly unlikely to happen more than maybe one or two times.

5. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The extended episode is being shown in HD (not just upscaled from VHS). Therefore the scenes that were originally cut from the episode must have existed seperately of Melinda's tape.

The tape has provided instructions for putting the ingredients together, but all the ingredients (including cuts/bloopers etc) are stored in that mountain ready to be "HD'd".

6. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

^ What tape? Measure of a Man had a deleted scene?

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It had several deleted and/or extended scenes that were restored to the episode. The tape was used as a reference on how to cut in the original content to fit with both the writer and director's artistic intent.

8. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

12 minutes worth

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The re-inserted cuts were fantastic, and yes, they did find the film elements to make them HD.

10. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

If they found those film elements, isn´t it pretty save to assume that they stored the elements of ALL cut scenes? I mean..why would you store the cut scenes of specifically one episode, but none of any other episodes?

I just remembered...there seems to be at least one cut scene from that episode with those frozen fish aliens. Apperantly them waking up was a longer sequence than what we got to see.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

They stored everything they filmed on a days shooting, as everything they shot was converted to vhs quality intermediate for editing the show way back when, so everything they shot exists in 35mm film, assuming any reels haven't been lost in the 20 years since (which according to the CBS team doing the remaster, is the case but only in a few shots out of the tens of thousands they're dealing with).

I think that the pace of the show as it was, most of what they filmed they used unless it was an outtake. They should have had the experience to only shoot what they needed the longer the show went on.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

They likely have all of the deleted scenes/cuts they need to make re-assembling the episodes more of a chore. But the key with MoaM is that they had Snodgrass' "bootleg" tape of the episode assembled BEFORE those cuts were made. This would provide them a reference point from which to put together the episode. If they were to make "extended cuts" of other episodes they'd either need a tape of the extended episode to know how to recreate it or some other way to know how to reassemble the episode, from scratch. That or it'd be a lot more work to make extended episodes.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Do the original shooting scripts still exist?

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

CBS should have access to them. Many original shooting scripts are also available in the Ronald D. Moore papers at USC.

Are these shooting scripts? (http://antoa.com/tng/)

15. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Most, if not all, TV shows and movies film more than what they need. In editing the director and editor cut out what they think detracts from the story, and keep cutting till they have enough for the time slot. Having 12 minutes of extra footage is not uncommon. Having 12 minutes that actually add to what is already a good episode is uncommon.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

While I'm sure they have extra footage in the form of alternate takes, I highly doubt more than a handful of episodes had entire scenes cut from them, let alone multiples.

17. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

No scenes do get cut short. Here's a made up example:
    Full Scene:
    Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Course 321 Mark 159. Warp 9. Engage.

Helm: Aye, Sir. Course Set. Engaging at Warp 9.

Riker: Red Alert! All hands to Battle Stations. Raise Shields. Ready Phaser. Load torpedo bays.

Worf: Shield up. Phasers and Photons ready.

What's shown:
    Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Warp 9. Engage.

Ricker: Red Alert!

Worf: Shields up. Phasers and Photons ready.

See how the second versions tightens the scene?

Many scenes have a lot more dialogue than what's shown, editing out bits of it tightens the pace, while others keep in more of the shot scene to slow things down.

While yes there are alternate shots of the same scene, bits and pieces are cut or left depending on the directors vision of the episode and/or time constraints.

In The Measure of a Man the scenes added back did add some tension between Riker and Picard and showed more dimensions to Phillipa. At least I don't remember her acting like such a minx with Picard.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's there in the original episode but certainly more subtle.

19. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In anticipation of getting the Season 2 BD set, I've been re-re-re-reading the episode descriptions in Larry Nemecek's ST: TNG Companion. Here's what he wrote about A Matter of Honor:
    "As usual, the show ran long and one cut scene used a miniature for the Bird-of-Prey's engineering room."

That would be interesting to see...

20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

I remember reading that the original cut of Night Terrors was nine minutes too long. It's hardly a classic episode, but I have a soft spot for it and would like to see the original cut.

Oh, and it's Blu-ray, not blue ray.