Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Amasov, May 25, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I think the NX-1701-A looks much better in the old blueprint pack as a set of line drawings than it does as a textured 3D model. I liked the way the warp core ran through the ship diagonally in the cutaway.

2. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

this ship is horrible

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

It is. And that's a fact.

--Sran

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    This is a fact, and that's my opinion. However, that it's my opinion is a fact. In my opinion...

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. If a person makes a broad generalization, it's a broad generalization and is subject to debate if another person thinks otherwise. If a poster can't be bothered to express themselves clearly, then it's the poster's problem.

That's my point. What one person considers ugly another considers attractive.
    That's because I'm not a mind reader. I don't know you. All I can go by is by your statements. You made a broad generalization about something and I disagreed with it. Simple as that.
    Unlikely.

Your post is horrible.
    :lol:

6. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love how any thread that runs over five pages boils down to attack and counterattack.

Anyway, I was alive at the time, saw the film at the time, and it was very exciting to see the new Enterprise. But it wasn't a complete surprise. I'd already seen it for weeks on my McDonald's placemat. :)

7. Captain Clark Terrell

^Who needs war with the Dominion? We've got a better one right here on TrekBBS!

--Sran

8. Belz...

So it's your point that ugly is automatically subjective, but I still have to make it clear that it's my opinion ? Don't you realise the contradiction ?

No, that's irrelevant: NO statement of that nature can be anything but subjective. You don't need to read my mind to know it's my opinion when I say "beef tastes good".

9. Captain Clark Terrell

^This back-and-forth is becoming tiresome.

--Sran

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Now is the time on Sprockets when we DANCE!

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Oh no, no, no. Once you get past the dish, that is just all over the place. Looping struts, secondary hull that looks like cross between a mouse and a kickstand ... nix on this NX.

Now if you throw away the dish and turn the whole thing upside down, it might work as a sister ship to the thing at the beginning of SPACEHUNTER (then again, if you do the same with EXCELSIOR, it almost looks like a just-miss take on a John Berkey style ship.)

12. C.E. Evans

There's no contradiction. When someone makes it clear they're presenting an opinion, it's just how they feel about something. But when someone makes a broad generalization that "this is that" and another person doesn't believe in that generalization, then that person is free to argue it. Nothing contradictory about that.
    No, it is very relevant. If a person can't be bothered to express themselves clearly, then that person has a problem, not others.
    I don't think it's all over the place. While it isn't my favorite design, I give it points for trying to be different (and not a kit-bash) back in '86 or '87 when the design was first made. I don't have a problem with curved pylons, and while the secondary hull may be more tall than long, it is kind of keeping with the Excelsior-class to some extent (I think the designer was considering it as something that came after the Excelsior-class). I've seen worse designs than this one, though.

13. Belz...

The problem here is simply that you think it's possible to make a statement about one's personal preferences that is objective.

"It's ugly" is a statement of personal opinion. Can't be anything else. Being clear is one's own responsibility, sure. But when something follows logically from another, it gets ridiculous to ask for a complete enunciation of all that the post implies.

14. C.E. Evans

That's not what I'm thinking at all.
    I just don't agree with you.

15. Belz...

I can see that. I guess we'll have to leave it at that, because I can't think of a clearer way of explaining it.

In the interest of avoiding any future confusion with you, however, I have decided to update my signature. I hope this suits your needs at the same time as allowing me to remain lazy.

16. Captain Clark Terrell

Somehow, I don't think this is over at all.

--Sran

17. Belz...

Aw, Sran. And I had made such a nice finale, here.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

You did, but I remember posts exactly like it from this time last week. Yet, here we are...

--Sran

19. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    OTOH if someone can't grasp the concept that somebody can just be expressing an opinion even when they don't explicitly state "In my opinion..." (or lacks to reading comprehension ability to understand when this is being done) then that is their problem.

In my opinion, of course.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread wandered off into pointlessness. In my opinion.