Amazon sale on Star Trek Books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BrentMc, Aug 12, 2013.

1. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

Amazon has two books from the up-coming The Fall series on sale for $4.79 with free shipping on order over $25 as usual. With free shipping it says that they do not ship until all of your items are available, so if you are eager to get them when they first come out then you might not want to do this.

2. BrentMc

Update: Maybe there is a price war because I just went to walmart.com and they have several books for $4.79 as well.

3. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

And if you have "Amazon Prime" (the yearly charge for free 2 day shipping, and also many free videos to watch including the Trek series) you can get the books separately w/out another shipping charge (I've ordered the 2 Fall books plus another new book at that price, good deal IMO lol).

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow - $3 cheaper than the kindle versions. This might get me back on board buying the dead-tree editions...

5. BrentMc

Wal-Mart has quite a few more titles with free shipping or cheap shipping, so now I have all five books of "The Fall" coming to me.
    I like a good deal, so I logged on to share my find with you all.

6. Galekarens

Yes I was thinking of getting the Ebook version of new DRGIII "Fall" book, but money talks, lol, getting the paper one (& also Fall #2 by Una M.).

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I appreciate when people post deals like this. Thanks!

8. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't help but cry when real world copies cost more than ebooks. Maybe I'll pick up a hard copy of Crimson Shadow, I've liked most of Mccormack's work. Unfortunately I am running out of space for 'real' books.

Its a great price though!

9. BrentMc

You're welcome. I like a good deal, so I am happy to share the news. If anyone else finds a good deal please post it and share.

10. Galekarens

The 4th "Fall" book (The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow) is now also $4.79 (free shipping w/ Prime or $25 order) on Amazon, available for pre-order.

PS the 3rd Fall book is NOT on sale yet on Amazon, lol.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  11. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

AAAARRRRRRRGH! :klingon:

Okay. I feel better now.

I think the price break is great. Nifty. Awesome. Neato. Superkeen.

And I have Amazon Prime so I'd be able to get the books at that price rather than that price plus shipping.

But....

Problem one is the reason why I went to all e-books in the first place, namely space.

Problem two is that at this point I find I don't really enjoy reading books not on Kindle. I've come to really enjoy being able to read one handed and not lose my place. Also the built in dictionary has me spoiled beyond measure.

12. BrentMc

One of the reasons I haven't started buying e-books is because I don't feel you get a good deal on them. You can't sell it at a yard-sale and you can't buy a used one. I don't often see good discounts on them. It was no surprise to me to hear there was price fixing going on.

I have a nook mostly for free e-books and library books, but I am mostly a paper guy. I am getting rid of a lot of my books because they are taking up space and I am using the library more. Star Trek books often don't come to my library for a long time if ever, so they are the one type of book I often buy these days.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Kindle editions are almost always far cheaper for hardcovers. For paperbacks it goes back and forth. Something they're 10 cents up/down. These paperbacks are $3-$4 cheaper. I switched to kindle editions for pb releases to save shelf space but since these physical books, so far, are far cheaper I'll clear some space out and have the whole dead-tree set all in a row.

14. BrentMc

I'm glad to see there are some good deals on e-books. Last time I looked I didn't think they were that much cheaper considering they don't have to print it, or ship it and you cannot sell it at a yard sale or go buy a used one at Goodwill.

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

For the German translations of the books the price makes a real difference. For example, Crucible: McCoy ist € 19,99 as a book and down to € 9,99 as eBook. The dead tree edition of Warpath is € 12,80, while the eBook is down to 7,99 €.

Compared to that, the English eBook prices are cheap beyond measure (e.g. Warpath at € 4,49). :bolian:

And now that I have a job besides my studies and don't need to worry about shelfspace, I can buy even more Star Trek books. Dozens. Hundreds. All of them! Mwhahaha! :evil:

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but it's € 16,80.

17. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

For those who bought Star Trek: The Fall: Crimson Shadow because the paperback was on sale at Amazon, you spent too much. The eBook is now cheaper at $4.55.

18. Galekarens

Thanks, now I can get the Ebook too :).

19. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but I got it a week ago and have already read it!

20. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Happy to help. I was looking for the lowest price eBook and the other day found it for $7.15 at Desel-eBooks. But today when I went to buy it, I could not find it there at all. Seems they only have one Star Trek book. I'm hoping it's a glitch. But some further searching turned up Amazon as the cheapest.

It is very easy to convert KF8 into ePub without having to resort to a Calibre conversion. That is why I went with the Amazon version since KF8 is very easy to shift the files to ePub and then fix the slight technical errors.