The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchise

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ToddPence, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Well, that's the formula: Planet-adjective-(earth animal or character or made up animal name)
    Example:
    Denibiun Slime Devil
    Tarsus BugEyed Catipillar
    Klingon Wild Targ

Go ahead, make up your own. Maybe I'll make one of those Facebook pick-a-column things

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, is the water wet? Wet is the state of being covered with water. Or extended, 'wet' is defined as solid state matter being covered with liquid state matter. So how can liquid be considered 'wet'? The same way a single particle can not be 'hot'.

When particle man is underwater does he get wet, or does the water get him instead?

Yeah, it is stupid how the formula for all alien things is (Participle of name of alien race) (Something commonly found on Earth). Why not make up nonsense words? Why would a predatory bird on Bolias be called a Bolian Hawk? Wouldn't it be a Scrishanaru or something?

3. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I'll go with Janeway's speech at the end of "Alliances". I think that was Janeway at her soapbox-iest. Essentially, they've gone right back to where they were at the start of the episode: under constant attack by the Kazon, losing crewmen here and there, no allies to speak of, and we have Janeway saying Starfleet rules are the best allies they can have. :brickwall:

Um, no, they're not. Actual allies, like the Talaxians in "Basics", and the aliens in "Year of Hell" and "The Void" are the best allies you can have.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    That speech is funny when you listen to her speech in Scorpion.

Alliances...
    "We must not dirty ourselves and ally ourselves with these Kazon thugs and hold fast to our Federation values, no matter how hard it makes things, or how many of us die."

Scorpion...
    "We must ally with the Borg and help them destroy their enemies in order to get what we want from them."

Amazing how much difference a year makes. ;)

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Cripes, I hate that scene in DS9: Little Green Men where he screams for her over and over.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, they tried their best. They saved the Kazon leaders from the Trabe assassins, and the Kazon weren't grateful in the least. They were never going to get a good alliance out of them.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The Kazon's idea of an allaince would be. "You give us everything we want and we may let you live"

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Mentioning water being wet is a common English idiom. Usually meaning this is true, real or not worthy of comment. Coupled with "I wouldn't believe him" flips that to show the character is a known liar. A common variation is "the sky is blue", but that does quite work in a multi-planetary setting.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

"Perhaps I should."

Spoken by Archer at the end of 'Broken Bow'. Delivered in an awful way about his own bigotry. Every time I hear it I wince, even something as simple as that showed that he was a terrible speaker.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That speech in Alliances was way too on the nose, but I don't think the problem is the content.

The whole concept of Star Trek is that they don't put their survival before their principles. Allying with the Kazon would have meant enabling them to murder and enslave people. In The Void when one of their allies kept on acting like a pirate they were kicked out of the alliance. So sure, alliances would be great, but an alliance with the Kazon isn't worth the moral consequences.

11. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it." - Mr Spock in every episode

12. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Spock never said that, not once. It comes from the "Star Trekkin" parody song. It's one of those things like "Just the facts, ma'am" with Dragnet or even "Beam me up, Scotty" from Trek that never was actually sad.

13. R. Star

Watch that speech just before you watch her reasoning for allying with the Borg in Scorpion. Oh the irony.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, given the alternative was the destruction of our Galaxy...

15. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I never saw the problem with the Warp 10 being everywhere. I mean, if you are travelling at infinite speed, then it will take you literally zero time to go from here to there. And if you are here and then there zero time later, then you are there at the same time you are here. You're in two places at once. And if it works for two places, why not three, or four, or ALL the places?

Mutant salamanders though, that was crap.

16. R. Star

Hate to tell it to you, but Voyager provoked them just as much as the Borg. Their first encounter with 8472 was them barging onto one of their ships as if they had every right to be there. Then they tried tractoring it, and beaming it away.

Their next encounter with Voyager, they're obviously collaborating with the enemy that invaded them. It's only then the "your galaxy will be purged" bit came. Which is a dubious and vague comment. Then they invade their realm... using weapons of mass destruction based on Borg technology. That's when they decided to target the Federation. And if they're all that evil, why was Janeway able to talk them down easy enough? They probably would've stopped at the Borg and gone back to swimming in their green goo absent Voyager.

17. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And "Luke, I am your father".

Yes, the Trabe proved to be untrustworthy, but there's absolutely nothing in the episodes that justifies this whole extolling the virtues of Starfleet rules at the end.

Starfleet rules didn't prevent them from aligning with the Trabe and Starfleet rules didn't help them out of any particular jam they found themselves in.

18. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I love that line. I slap my dad on the shoulder when we watch this episode all like "here it comes! Bahahaha!"

19. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I laughed way too hard in the theater when Spock yelled that. I just couldn't help it.

20. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

After following this thread for 16 pages and 240 posts, I think one thing is clear: It´s really not easy to name the "one worst line of dialogue"! As all the examples here show, there are just way too much badly written or delivered, silly, redundant or outright stupid lines to be able to pick just one :lol: