Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, but the attack ship is not a requirement for the carrier, though surely nice to have.
    Using other fighters will do for starters. Esspecially since I only know managing pets from Vesta/HEC play which is more like a launch and forget kind of gameplay really.

When I can manage regular fighters I might invest into the bugs... if I can get a good price for them.

2. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say I find the Summer Event much for fun than the Winter Event,
    its somehow relaxing to just fly around and so on.
    The new powerboards are fun also.

I do want beach volleyball and some water pistols for next year..
    ( and keep the current stuff ofc):cool:

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just have to say I'm loving the power board race. Loads of fun. But I hate the end of the race. Trying to click on the flag at the end has become so frustrating. I have run the race six times so far, and have only picked up the prize twice.

I keep stopping short, and then over shoot the mark and then am disqualified. I swear my neighbors must think I am insane for screaming in frustration all by my self.

4. Palladin5

Palladin5 Captain Captain

I'm really liking the summer event. Seems like the revisions are working well. (unlike the winter event) Some in my fleet mentioned how it feels slower to them but thats because there is more to do in the rotation. I like the variety.

5. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

I have a trick for nabbing the flag; just as you pass the finish line, power down the power board. This stops you in place, usually in range of the flag.

It helps to steer with the mouse and have one finger on the hot key for your action tray, and one on F to grab the flag.

You may need a few practice runs to get the hand of it/range-find.

6. Vendikarr

i have gotten a little better at this. I steer with the mouse and as I approach I take my fingers off the mouse keys and then press andhold the space bar. I do a hop and stop immediately. you can even dismount and walk the last couple steps if you come up short.

7. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Elite Scorpions (from the Rom rep) are the best fighters. Sure, they are the very definition of glass cannon, but oh what a cannon. Nothing better than seeing 6+ heavy plasma torps heading out to a target.

The top-flight jem hadar fighters are pretty good from what I hear, if you want to be more jem hadary.

8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Scorpions are very good in old content and STFs where there are few NPC ships and most of them don't use BFAW or cannon scatter volley.

In newer content that have a massive number of NPC ships FAWing like crazy, I find that Scorpions don't last more than 10-15 seconds and their plasma torps just get shot down before they can reach their targets.

9. intrinsical

I'm giving up on Star Trek Online.

At least for the next few months or so. For the past two+ months, I've been suffering from intolerable rubberbanding on random maps. Initially, it only happened on maps with huge battles such as Crystalline Entity, Starbase Fleet Defence and ESD space. However this past two weeks, its been happening on half the maps I enter - to the point I've just been playing on Risa because attempting to go anywhere else is a chore. For the past 3 days, I can't even get to the first map. Either I'm stuck at the character selection screen "Loading" a character, or the game spend minutes trying to load the first map before giving up and kicking me out to the login screen.

Its not a network issue on my end. I'm using a 100mbps fibre optic link and no other internet app/game has any latency issue. I've asked my ISP and they don't see anything wrong on their end either. I've contacted Cryptic's tech support but so far no one's replied. Till I hear of improvment, I'm not wasting my time trying to login to the game.

10. Timelord Victorious

It's also not the game, since I haven't heard any other reports about this being a widespread problem atm.

Maybe a clean reinstall will solve it for you?

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not having that problem. Only time I see it is in large battle maps, CE, some of the fleet defense stuff, etc. Too many things moving and shooting. How old is your computer and/or video card? That would be my guess, as you shouldn't be seeing the problems anywhere else, or at least i don't.

12. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Can we talk ship consoles? Lately loads of new consoles have come out. Which are must haves and which are tossable?

What old consoles are still a must have and what rep consoles are a must these days? It's so hard to keep up. Thanks.

13. intrinsical

That's a huge topic... My personal preference are consoles that provide in rough order of importance:

1. +Weapon subsystem power
    2. +Shield/Engine/Aux subsystem power
    3. +Critical Chance [CrtH] or +Critical Severity [CrtD]
    4. +Damage
    5. +Accuracy for beam weapons (because accuracy overflow on beam weapons provides +CrtD)
    6. +Flow Capacitors (because they further increase Plasmonic Leech's power)
    Based on the above criteria, these are the consoles that I equip on ALL my ships:

1. Vulnerability Locators (fill every single tac console slot on your ship): +31.9% damage, +1.6% CrtH
    2. Assimilated Module: +5 Weapon Power, +9.2% CrtD, +0.92% CritH
    3. Plasmonic Leech with with 9 skill in Flow Capacitors: +20 Weapon, Shield, Engine, Aux power
    4. Tachokinetic Converter: +7.6% CrtD, +0.76% CrtH
    5. Zero Point Energy Conduit: +1.8 Weapon, Shield, Engine, Aux power, +1.8% CrtH
    Other consoles that are worth a mention for their build-specific usefulness include:

Bioneural Infusion Circuits: +15.2% CrtD. Provides a huge critical severity boost, but it is a very expensive console hence only really worth it if you have already the above 5 consoles and lots of spare Lobi crystals.

For ships that uses Beam Arrays or Dual Beam Banks, it is worth considering slotting in Nukara Console for +3 Shield Power and +10% Accuracy to beam arrays. This is especially true if you're also using tetryon beams. Combined with the Hyper-Dual Refracting Dual Beam Bank gives a set bonus of +7.6 Tetryon damage and +15.2 Flow caps.

For ships that use Plasma weapons, Romulan Embassy consoles that provide +plasma damage.

For ships that use Phaser or Disruptor weapons, it is worth considering slotting the Hydrodynamics Compensator and Multi-Energy Relay consoles from the undine weapon set for their +20.1% Phaser and Disruptor Damage. I have not tested them out in combat due to suffering from network issues but on paper, they've increased my Vesta's phaser beam array damage by +20 even though I had to drop one Vulnerability Locator (-31.9% damage). yeah, I'm still trying to puzzle out how -11.8% damage results in +20 damage.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  14. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the great info! I just got a vulnerability exploiter for tetryon... wow, nice boost! :techman:

15. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I'm glad there is a thread for this.;)

I installed in before going to bed, and wound up playing it a bit too long.

A main gripe is that the 'captain' (i.e. me) isn't really able to make decisions.

There is an instance early in the game when I'm told my crew of cadets are very afraid of the Borg attacks and I assure them everything is going to be okay. We then go down to the nearest planet, get colonists are attacked by said Borg, and have the oppotunity to warp to the nearest starbase or armada.

Yet, we have to stay and fight three Borg probes that - excuse the language - kick my ass.

I was hoping that it would be an open world where anything can happen, but it looks like it's set to a particular story.

However, it does seem like the game has literally changed over the past couple of years it has been available, so I want to read about other experiences.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

17. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Glad to hear it. Can't remember the last time I went to Memory Alpha.

18. Timelord Victorious

Memory Alpha Fleet Holding.
    Calling it now! ;)

19. Vendikarr

20. Timelord Victorious

I don't think, it will beset in the movie universe. The implied premise, Klingons vs. Federation vs. Species 8472 (which begs for a lawsuit run by Cryptic, is not really compatible with JJ-verse Trek.

Also I suspect, if there is any truth to it, it sounds more like a browser game to me, which I am, and probably many many other players are inherently uninterested in.

So I doubt, Cryptic has anything to worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.