Why Does Gmail Require A Phone Number?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Starfleet Engineer, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to start another Gmail account, but the stupid thing is requiring me to give a mobile phone number in order to complete registering. Is there a way around this?

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing it's for their security process for when an account gets compromised or when a password needs to be retrieved. In the case this happens, they would usually send the confirmation via text. Personally I don't like it either, as it assumes everyone has a smartphone. Can't remember what I did to get around it, but I think there was a link to skip it.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, it's for two-factor authentication. As a long-time Google user, Google has never called me (other than when I needed them to) and, as far as I can tell, has never sold my number to anyone.

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I know there is a way to skip past that, because I have done so, but I can't remember how exactly.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

There should be a skip link right underneath the main text where it asks you to do two-step authentication.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Google wants your phone number so it can call you late at night and all you'll hear is heavy computer breathing.

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just go to an internet cafe or anywhere with wi-fi.
    If it doesn't work, try another spot. Eventually you'll find a place that won't require phone or SMS confirmation.*

* - It's waaaaay easier just using your phone.

To answer the question 'why', it's because Google wants to use the banhammer on those who would create multiple accounts from one location.

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Yeah, I set up a separate gmail account for work related correspondences a few weeks ago and I had no issues without giving my phone number(s)

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    You don't have to give your number to Gmail. There's a link or button to skip this, but it's very small.

10. Starfleet Engineer

There's no link anywhere to skip it.

11. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

Why Does Gmail Require A Phone Number?

So the NSA can properly link ALL your stuff into one folder, naturally...

12. Starfleet Engineer

After 6 or 7 attempts where it required the phone number, today it skipped it altogether and I was able to complete the registration without giving it.

13. Timewalker

I certainly hope they are not trying to deprive people who don't own mobile phone gadgets from having an account.

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Hmm, "do no ebil"? I wonder.

I found a mail site called mail.com, seems pretty good, news feed, storage etc, not so nosy. Check it out. I'm thinking of closing my gmail and going there.

15. Amaris

Yahoo is a great alternative, IMO. I switched away from Gmail, and I've been there a few months. More features than Gmail, and tons of storage space. I'm quite happy with it.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I need to close my gmail account. Some guy who obviously has an account name similar to mine has registered (me) under his contact info for various websites he's signed up for.

I'm pretty sure he's an older fella and probably not too computer savvy. (Or has fat fingers.)

I get email from his vet. He has two dogs.
    GMC. His Sierra is due for 60k service.
    He's a Ravens fan. (He does live in Maryland.)
    And is a member of Match.com. I've gotten links to a lot of 40 and 50-somthings. A few I've thought about dropping a line myself.

17. Timewalker

I only keep Yahoo for the groups I belong to. And due to their having "improved" it some months back, it's now a nightmare to use if you're a group owner/moderator.

18. Amaris

Ah, well I can see where that would be a reason not to use the service. I don't do any kind of group anything, so it's worked out for me. I left Gmail because they decided to dip their fingers in everything, and I didn't like how they were combining every service into one, so out I went.

19. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

It seems to depend on what kind of connection you're using. When I try to sign up to Gmail from my home connection -- a one-computer DSL line -- there's no problem. When I try to sign up at the library, which has multiple computers and countless wireless devices on the same network, it always asks.

Google asks because it wants alllllllllllllllll the information.

20. Timewalker

What annoys me is its assumption that I have a mobile communication gadget in the first place. I have just the one phone - a landline that is firmly attached to the wall, and has to be used in the living room.