Superman: The Reboot --- Its official

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed Superman Returns--I thought it worked perfectly fine...HOWEVER I do think that if we had seen some dynamic scenes of the Kryptonian tech softening Superman up before he confronted Lex on the k-island AND if instead of three nameless goons who beat up Superman it had been the three depowered Phantom Zoners from Superman II, I think a lot of the problems people had with the movie would have disappeared.

2. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell yes, that was ridiculous. You're going to create a new continent right off the eastern seaboard, flooding most of eastern North America and probably parts of Western Europe and Africa, and you think you're going to hold off the combined armed forces of NATO countries with... what? Three henchmen and a whiny ho? If Luther had any intelligence, he would have created his new continent in the Indian Ocean or the South Pacific, where western governments are on record as not giving a damn if the local island nations go under. Hell, with a new continent, he could have given enough land away to house the newly displaced islanders and come off as a philanthropist with plenty of real estate left over for the actual profit-mongering. But then, 'intelligence' and 'Superman Returns' are not expressions that go well together.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it how Kal Penn was involved in Spoof movie taking the Piss out Superman Returns. One might consider that to be a conflict of interest? But one couldn't possibly comment.

4. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Maybe "I'm telling Mom!"

5. I hope this new Superman will at least let Superman be SUPER. There is SO MUCh that Superman can do, he can go against entire armies, he can outrun comets and stars, he can fly across the world in the blink of an eye, he can battle alien spaceships across the sky. What really bugs me is how unambitious in terms of being a SUPERMAN this last movie really was. How did they F that up??? Its almost unthinkable. There are so many writers out there who would love the chance to really stretch their imagination and be creative.

one good thing, assuming WB doesn't f it up, about a reboot is that you're not bound to any tone. You set the tone. Please god set a good tone and give us something amazing.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I have to agree. The plane rescue was fantastic, and lifting a yacht, and then and an entire freakin island into space were impressive to watch, but I still came away feeling underwhelmed by the "super feats" shown in SR.

I mean, seriously. Foiling a bank robbery? In the age we live in, that's about as quaint and outdated as you can possibly get.

7. Guy Gardener

An island made of Kryptonite.

Kal is screwed over by a sliver the size of my penis stuck in his shoulder but he's barely phased by an entire continent of the stuff?

That's fucked up.

If I was in charge.

Superman would have said "THIS IS A JOB FOR GREEN LANTERN!"

Of course Hal would be evil and dead, Kyle would be an idiot not worth the coin to slot into a payphone, John already made him feel insecure, which means it's Guy Gardner time. Yeah baby! You know what I'm talking about.

8. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The shiv was solid kryptonite, but the island wasn't. It just had 'veins' of kryptonite growing through and with it. It's why Superman dug way below it to lift it, so he wouldn't be in direct contact with it. I can buy that Superman, though great effort and nearly at the expense of his life, could push such a structure into space. This is by far the most impressive feat of Superman ever filmed, and Singer could have ended Returns with Superman's impact back into Earth and the horrified onlookers and still had a great film.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Superman did look like he was straining quite a bit and like he was about to pass out at any moment. Part of it was probably the sheer weight of the continent, but I'm sure all the kryptonite inside had a fair bit to do with it.

10. Guy Gardener

You're all exaggerating. Continents aren't that heavy.

Yes, he used a continental shelf as a prophylactic but before and after he was as weak as a kitten. Luthor decked him for fucks sake!

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

There's no way Supes should be able to do anything after being stabbed with a kryptonite shard that's still in his body. On top of that, the whole continent should be emitting kryptonite radiation around Superman.

12. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I dunno man, the last time I tried lifting one, I threw my back out for days...

13. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because you lifted with your back instead of your legs.

14. Guy Gardener

Considering the effects of Kryptonite can be blocked by a tiny lead box, we'll have to assume that they have a very long bandwidth... whatever the hell that means, that the million tonnes of Rock between Kal and the billion tons of Kryptonite would have as stated act as a condom well enough.

But he had a chunk of it inside him which is shit you just can't lawyer around.

The Kryptionian Crystals control water.

Making "smartice" which can hold information like the Crystals in B5 or logidiamonds in Eureka and build to the specifications of the lad in charge like those cave/tunnels used by the Tok'ra in Stargate SG1...

First of all... was it really cold enough for smart ice to form if not for the storm? As soon as the weather stabilized Luthors continent would melt, and second, if Superman had a brain, he would have looked for the interface which controlled the reaction of the crystal to tell it what shape to grow or retract into since supposedly it is a mechanical device and not mad flailing seamonkeys on steroids... Just like how Kirk used the prefix codes to turn off khans shields and roger the Reliant when that Superman thought he had the upperhand.

Luthor was like a monkey with a machine gun thinking that he was in control of that technology. Worlds greatest criminal my ass. He had sex supposedly constantly with a 90 year old woman for years to get just a few million dollars. What a fucking rube.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Homer Simpson will be cast as Superman in the reboot.

[​IMG]

16. Guy Gardener

You're reading the situation badly there friend, Homer isn't at all wearing a Superman Costume.

That's a Supergirl bellyshirt.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Superman had willpower on the island. First off, let's not forget he was walking around the island for a few minutes when he first landed. It wasn't until he actually touched the Kryptonite-laced ground with his bare hands that he really began to feel the effects. And there was the actual fight scene. He wasn't JUST getting completely pummeled. He was fighting the urge to give up and quit. In a display of ultimate perseverance and willpower after the beating he took (during which he was still able to crawl the length of a few yards), he still had the energy to stand up and hobble to the edge of the cliff. It wasn't until Lex stabbed him and broke off the Kryptonite in his back that he fell into the water below (AFTER still having the strength to turn around and look Lex in the eyes before he fell). A fall which, if he had truly been as drained as people claim him to have been, should have KILLED him. Not to mention even with the Kryptonite lodged in him, he had the strength not only to struggle to get the Kryptonite out, but to swim to the surface from what looked like a fairly deep distance under the water.

The super-charge he got from flying into the upper atmosphere and absorbing the sun's rays allowed him to burrow BELOW the Kryptonite-laced island (into the actual original geological formation of the Earth) to lift the whole landmass out of the sky. The Kryptonite had to push through the natural Earth to get to him, as we saw.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait....... Since when did Superman became Green Lantern?:wtf:

19. Guy Gardener

I called it. I called it. I said this was a job for Green Lantern!

He was under the influence of a powerfully debilitating chemical reaction inside his body. It's that sort of positive thinking which has drunk drivers plowing into school buses thinking that they have enough will power to dodge all the pink elephants careening down the motor way towards them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  20. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore