Aliens with one name vs. aliens with two names

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by t_smitts, Nov 30, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Journey to Babel, I think.

2. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In "This Side of Paradise", we get this bit of dialog:

Leila Kolomi: You never told me if you had another name, Mr Spock?
    Spock: You couldn't pronounce it.

(Of course, maybe Leila had some unusual speech impediment not obvious on screen, and Spock meant only that SHE couldn't pronounce it!)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^You're both right. In "This Side of Paradise," Spock told Leila that she couldn't pronounce his other name, and in "Journey to Babel," when Kirk addressed Amanda as "Mrs. Sarek," she told him that the Vulcan family name is hard for humans to pronounce, though she could say it "after a fashion and after many years of practice." Both were written by D.C. Fontana.

4. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then of course, there are the Cardassians. Two names, Natima Lang, Enabrin Tain, Elim Garak. Damar and Dukat only got given names in the lit-verse (unless I'm mistaken).

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And Kotan Pa'Dar.

6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Memory Alpha, Wikipedia and StarTrek.com all say her name is Natasha, but I have no idea what they base that on.

7. Christopher

The name "Natasha" was used for Yar in three episodes: "Code of Honor" (used by Picard, Yareena, and Riker), "Coming of Age" (by Picard when introducing her to Adm. Quinn), and "Skin of Evil" (by Picard twice during her memorial service).

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^Thank you. Haven't watched in a while.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

With the age of the Federation, you'd expected to see more names drift across culture - I think we have seen a Vulcan called Stephen but when are we going to see a Bolian called Wayne or a human called Spock?

10. Mr. Laser Beam

^ There was a Klingon named Chang...

11. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pritchard is another - son of Richard.

As for Spock, I always think of him as Spock Sarekson.

12. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Sounds Swedish.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jarok had two names in the Defector.

That random Starfleet time delay admiral called him "Admiral Adilar Jarok" when they confirmed who he was.

14. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unpronouncable Vulcan surnames haven't been brought up since then. (T'Lar, for instance, didn't use Sarek's supposed surname in ST3). In fact, I'm not sure there's ever been a two-named Vulcan.

Perhaps this tidbit might be best ignored, like Spock's emotions in "The Cage", Kirk's "James R. Kirk" tombstone in "Where No Man...", Data graduating in the "class of '78" in "Encounter at Farpoint", and the numerous differences between Trill on TNG and DS9.

I think there's been enough 2-named Cardassians not to write that off as an anomaly.

In retrospect, I wish Dukat and Damar had been given names on the series proper, given the importance of both characters.

Moreover, Bariel didn't get a given name until season six, Winn didn't until season seven, and Leeta never got a first name. (I assume, of course that Leeta is her given name, not family one).

See the OP.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

^ The novels suggest that Leeta is her given name; she grew up in an orphanage and doesn't know her family name.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

What if that other name isn't the family name, but a more formal version of the given name? "Spock" could be a shortened version of his name, or diminutive, like "Jim".

17. t_smitts

I assumed Leeta was her given name (remember the reverse order). It would've been rather odd for Bashir and Rom to address her as such otherwise.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Odd to us, but certainly not uncommon on DS9. Nerys called both of her Bajoran lovers almost exclusively by their family names; Bareil and Shakaar.

19. Christopher

But as I said, "Journey to Babel" (by the same writer) confirmed that the unpronounceable name is his family name.

20. t_smitts

Not always. And I believe they (and Odo) always referred to her as Nerys.