Shuttlebay 02 - USS Enterprise 1701 D - TNG

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Capt Dazio, May 2, 2009.

1. Capt Dazio

Capt Dazio Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You will certainly have noticed that USS Enterprise has corridors "carpet" (!?). To reach a status " Starfleet " recquiert of the efforts, the corridors of vessels recoivent an elegant carpet two tones. Condemned to represent it, me here is for the action scalpel in hand. I would see later if she supports the airbrush!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The material used to represent this carpet is a lightweight felt stuck on some supple(flexible) plastic which I have to get back on a small banking file of statements. To fire of any wood is the base of a scratchbuild.

[​IMG]

You will understand now why I plan to dress(to take on) the ground of the shed of a plastic sheet of 0.25mm. The upgrade on the carpet of the corridor.

2. Capt Dazio

The own of one creation as this one is to play leapfrogs. At the moment, I leave aside the corridor to dedicate myself to another very interesting piece to be made.
    We leave temporarily on the shed to discover the cabin of the checkpoint, situated on the balcony of Shuttlebay. At the beginning of the works...
    This cabin is equipped with an often visible LCARS in the serie.

[​IMG]

Internal sight...

[​IMG]

And on the ceiling light....

[​IMG]

You will have understood that these two parts will be illuminated. The LCARS and the ceiling light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To say to you the truth, I found the striking illumination, beyond for what I hoped. Nevertheless, there are defects

[​IMG]

Let us imagine Geordi LaForge on the place of this vulgar plastic figure. In spite of my satisfaction, the illumination of Lcars for which I had not worked demonstrates well that a lighting " in it goes fast " give only an inferior result. I am going to remedy this problem of two manners: the addition of a resistance to ease the luminosity and finally of a coffering to dilute the luminous flow.
    On the other hand, the illumination of the ceiling light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Capt Dazio

Hello Praetor! Yes, it is indeed me who make this model. It is enough to love Star Trek;)

4. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Capt Dazio this is incredible work. Bravo!

5. Capt Dazio

The coffering of the ceiling light is realized in a unrefined way but he already allows to channel the stream of light. I do not have more than to realize one more seriously and definitive.

[​IMG]

The coffering of Lcars is a little bit different from that of the ceiling light. Bottom with sides, he absolutely has to diffuse the light to avoid a central halo.

[​IMG]

The installation of a led does not represent a big difficulty, even for a novice as me.
    As you see on photos, I stick some aluminium which allows the distribution of the light. I fit out a mask on the led to avoid a direct projection on the film.

[​IMG]

Final and definitive result of this part. Satisfactory try of light. The resistance during the final installation will remain to install.

[​IMG]

My fingers betray the size of the construction.

[​IMG]

With the implementation of the block and its viability I can finally attempt to paint the inside of the cabin and to intend to stick it definitively.

[​IMG]

This stage blocked me considerably. Indeed, I owed plan a dismantling of the thorough wall of cabin - on which is stuck Lcars - because I do not really know if the ink will hold on the film of rétroprojection in the time. The problem is resolved!
    I indicate that the present LCARS is not the one that I shall leave. Indeed, the image being slightly too big, I have to reduce it and increase the black spaces.

6. Capt Dazio

The phase of sticking on base begins.... I stacked two boards (Wood "medium" 8mm). The low part, symbolizing the deck 14, is the one which will carry the whole model and is again a little bit short of 8cm. All in all, and as I indicate it higher, she will measure approximately 56cm on 30.
    It is on this empty part that I shall represent the back part, the entrance outside (stern), of USS Enterprise NCC 1701D. The superior, the deck 13, which measures 30x32cm, will receive the majority of the made pieces.

[​IMG]

I remind that the back hull is tilted to 40 °, what explains the difference of length of both plans.

[​IMG]

Nevertheless my efforts to realize a right work, this sight shows in which point the eye is perfectible... The mastiquage is imperative.

[​IMG]

The strip representing the thickness of the floor of the balcony (and of the deck 12), realized in balsa wood (an error in the choice of the material), did not support not the sanding. Thus, I decide to eliminate it and to redo it plastic such as had to it be the rest of this girder.

[​IMG]

7. Capt Dazio

The depiction of the plastic strip is much better. The filling also makes its work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will notice 3 gills on the door armored "Bulkhead door". The work is not finalized yet but the idea is there.

[​IMG]

The strip is stuck on the néoprène (glue contact). It is finally what what was the best adapted. On the other hand, the operation remains delicate, this glue does not support the errors.

[​IMG]

8. Capt Dazio

Preparation of the beam of ceiling. I used a plywood 1 cm in thickness assembled in the white glue. These pieces will then be puttied.

[​IMG]

As the case may be, I use various types of putty. For this pieces the most adapted is "milliput" which is rather practical and which smooths in the water.

[​IMG]

Plan view of the beam. The back of the decoration is not openly beautiful it is as in the cinema.
    As I indicated it previously, I did not succeed in realizing identical and right cuts. Noticing that my structure was rickety. I put back all this place there by assuring my work with a level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought at first to realize a vision from the height, and so side (in babord) both sights were protected by a window. I finally decided that while confirming my first choices I had to foresee a removable ceiling with lighting, as a wall babord removable.
    Both visions are interesting and I find damage to have to waste a profit for priviligier at all costs an overview. According to my pursuit of moment, I shall thus opt to open the one or the other one.
    We can see that this plan of sight is rather pleasant.

[​IMG]

9. Capt Dazio

To be able to move, I owe finalize the gantry of Shuttlebay. On one hand the realization of a window with cell - hexagons (for that, I have maybe an unexpected solution).

[​IMG]

On the other hand, and it is this part which blocks me, the realization of a system of lifting of the aforementioned gantry.
    Indeed, not being able to resolve me to opt for an opened or closed gate, nor to leave totally this model in a static state (I have already begun the illumination of certain parts), I wish to make mobile doors. But impossible to reach it once quite fixed.

Here is the plan of the mechanism that I suggest making.

[​IMG]
    A solution: trammel, Pulleys, Gearings, belts

10. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Impressive progress!
    That honeycomb pattern has always been tricky to recreate because it´s not flat but each cell actually bulges out to each side and has a rounded profile:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Very good modeling here. I've always wanted to do a similar project but of the Original Series Hanger Deck.

Point of interest, your French expression "Mounting White" I think is equivalent to the English expression "Dry Fit".

Keep up the good work!

--Alex

12. Capt Dazio

This window with relief in honeycomb stitch raises me problems. I did not manage to find an equivalent material. Then, I am obliged to use a visual stratagem. I made a test and the result is acceptable.

13. Capt Dazio

Hello Alex,
    These projects frighten always a little. Nevertheless, they are accessible, but they take time.

Thank you for the expression " Dry Fit ", I did not know it. It is nice

14. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great Work there :techman:

15. Galen82

Galen82 Ensign Newbie

Woah this is really amazing work dude. Cant wait to see it complete.

16. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I am amazed not only by your attention to detail but also by your speed. All I would have managed to do in 24 hours is glue my fingers together and impale myself upon my X-Acto knife :(

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is amazing work! I thought for sure that the scale was much larger until the shot of your hand. Your shuttlebay is going to look excellent when finished, I'm sure.

18. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sort of material is not difficult to find. You may have to look someplace you weren't planning to, however.

I recommend looking at desktop lamps... the ones which use fluorescent tubes. They often have molded-plastic diffusers which are almost exactly what you're looking for.

19. Capt Dazio

For reminder, here is my gate.

[​IMG]

The simplicity must be rigorous. I wished, at first, to motorize the set, but at the bottom what counts, it is that the curtain is functional.
    The objective is to arm itself with pieces to elaborate the set, is :
    - A trammel,
    - A gearing doubles,
    - a worm on axis,

I cannibalized an old-fashioned electronic device (finally, even some), to find a worm and a gearing there.
    No available trammel, thus the obligation was made make it myself. Near 8cm of length, 3mm of wide, and 3 hours and a half of work later....

[​IMG]

The worm is évidement not as I wish it. It is thus advisable to adapt it to my needs. I just hold the black axis, the rest must be accommodated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Capt Dazio

The second stage: take up a plastic section of wall and link it with the structure which supports the gate...

[​IMG]

The trammel is realized with the classic plastic (Evergreen). It is a little bit soft and I hope that teeth are not too much going to wear out.

[​IMG]

Difficult to make tries before a fixed assembly. By making the tests, just with the trammel and the gearing clocked with a nail, the result was convincing. But with the gate in more....

.... The gate leaves fault and blocks ... I opted voluntarily for a single system of training. Because it was simpler and because I possessed only a single set, of equipment. I began to doubt seriously my system and imagined an alternative.

I decide to maintain my choice, betting that with guides on both sides of my frame, I shall oblige the gate to slide straight ahead, since pieces would be fixed. Besides I thought, that so smooth as possible, the friction could have played me on tricks. So I decide to buy a spray of dry teflon. It is necessary to me, at all costs, to go at the end of my idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The system will not be electric, but it is necessary, all the same, think of its training a simple crank should agree. I make, plastic, a square piece which I once file dry and which I introduces into the tube connected with the worm.

[​IMG]

I create holds but I am allowed the possibility unsettle if the need arises. It would be only for the future maintenance.

[​IMG]

My system is ended.