Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember in Ground Hog Day when they explained to THEBILLMURRAY about how he could do absolutely anything he wanted consequence free because the universe was going to reset at 6am?

Harry "Doctor, You don't suppose, when you're finished with sevens brain, I could have it?"

Doctor "No."

Harry "Nothing sexual."

Doctor "Still no."

Harry "Look, I just want to lick it."

Doctor "Definitely NO then, and besides, it's 15 degrees below zero in here, your tongue would stick to her, and probably permanently considering the universe is about to end."

Harry "I thought it would give me luck."

Doctor "Bull^%$#."

Harry "okay, I admit, its a little bit sexual."

2. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I knew that someone was going to say that...

The reason Timeless succeeds without that is because it already had a fantastic story. And Ship in A Bottle? Well, not so much...

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't recall, was SiaB marked up for somehow managing to make Andy Dick tolerable? It surely deserves at least one point just for that feat.

4. AdmiralScreed

That episode got a 6/10 from me. I didn't care for the other EMH, though. I thought he was rather annoying.

5. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You mean "Message in a Bottle". A fine episode to be sure, I thought the way the two EMH's played off eachother was great, and I feel the idea was more original than Timeless which was the usual time travel hijinks with a twist.

6. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    Message in a bottle so funny XD and yet had some real original aspect to it. Also timeless was good the 100 episode they really tried to make it uber and i think it worked.
    Deadlock was the best thing along with basics in the first 2 seasons for me.

7. AdmiralScreed

Oops. Message, not ship...my mistake.

And yes, time travel stories aren't uncommon in Trek, but IMO Timeless went above and beyond, and I would say it's one of, if not, my favorite time travel story Trek has ever done.

And as exodus pointed out, this episode took two characters who were normally a little dull (or in Kim's case just plain annoying) and turned them into rich and interesting people who you really cared about and could sympathize with.

8. You_Will_Fail

Garret Wang was utilizing the "talk through gritted teeth all the time to express frustration" acting technique, I found his attempts at acting in "Timeless" pretty pathetic.

9. AdmiralScreed

I would never nominate him for an Oscar, but I do believe that Wang gave a much more gripping performance in Timeless than he has given in any other episodes up to this point. Hopefully his good acting continues until the end of the show (although I'm not going to hold my breath).

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Oh, you poor poor fellow...:(:(:(

11. AdmiralScreed

Changed my mind. I think I will hold my...(suffocating).:ack:

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that Wang was a horrible actor most of the time but in Timeless he was pretty good. It was probably his best performance on the show.

13. You_Will_Fail

God, there's still his speech to Janeway in "The Disease" to "look forward" to. I found "Nightingale" to be his most tolerable performance.

14. Guy Gardener

Better than when he was spaced in Deadlock?

15. DonIago

Ha, "Nightingale"...

16. AdmiralScreed

I'll admit, it's pretty hard to beat that moment. It was the high point of Deadlock for me. :lol:

But I do still think that Timeless is his best episode. They finally did something useful with his character. He was integral to the story, and I must say I really felt for him after his big mistake sent the crew of Voyager to their doom. That wouldn't have been easy to live with.

17. DonIago

Now I'm wondering how much better things might have been if Harry had been a Maquis rather than a good little Fleet boy.

18. You_Will_Fail

They wouldn't have been, because the writers and showrunners were the same.

19. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harry is what Wesley would be all grown up.
    "Timeless" works for so many fans because it shows us the Harry/Wesley we wanted them to be. the audience didn't want Harry to come home still a mama's boy. We wanted him to come home with some type of post traumatic stress disorder. Harry wasn't a good Starfleet boy taking orders, Harry was now a criminal.

20. Guy Gardener

But Wesley decided it was a mistake to be Kim.

He found a better way to live his life than be meat for the machine.

Wesley is Kim if nothing meaningful or interesting had ever happened to Wesley.