IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Just as long as they don't do the Borg in a movie (and the fact that they're being allowed to use the Borg in the comics implies they won't). Beyond was a good break from the dark future of "Star Trek's greatest hits" that STID promised, now we need to continue in that direction on-screen.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm not really sure that I'm that excited about seeing Kelvin Borg. (It appears I'm not the only one... their videos appear to have no views whatsoever.) But I'm planning to read that comic series, so hopefully the story is good.

Nice to see that, even when destroying worlds and assimilating entire populations, the Borg are considerate enough to use the clearly-marked pedestrian crosswalks. Jaywalking, much like resistance, is futile.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heh, you suppose they even have the walk light?

Avro Arrow and Idran like this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately the ticket-buying public doesn't agree. Beyond has underperformed massively :(

Personally I'd quite like to see Kirk take on the Borg on the big screen, although I'd want the Borg reimagined and updated from the rubber suits of First Contact and Voyager.

BillJ likes this.
  5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

A Borg story, eh? This could either be interesting or a train wreck.

Jinn likes this.
  6. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just came across Star Trek New Visions, and I was wondering how it was and if it is worth getting?

7. David Strickhouser

David Strickhouser Commander Red Shirt

If you are a fan of TOS, are interested in photo-manipulation (using TOS screenshots to create entirely new stories); the characters looking like themselves in scenes and backgrounds that echo TOS; have no preconceived notions of John Byrne as a storyteller, then by all means join the fun!
    Start with the three collected trades first to get up to speed. Your local comic shop should have them or be able to get them for you.
    Again, if TOS as it was is your interest, NEW VISIONS is a way to enjoy more stories with the classic cast.

8. Son of Quark

Thanks so much, David. I do like TOS, never heard of John Byrne, and not trying to start anything here, but is he a good story teller? Is it bad, the photo manipulation/screen shots?

9. David Strickhouser

Byrne is a long-time comic book writer and artist working for DC and Marvel on Superman, Captain America and X-Men respectively.
    In that world, he has detractors and fans because of core changes he did to some characters' storylines and their backgrounds.
    For NEW VISIONS, however, he is extremely loyal to TOS and the classic format. Reading a NEW VISIONS story is liking watching a brand-new "episode" of TOS. He has "revisited" some characters and events from TOS but placed them in a whole new storyline that does flow nicely. It's just fun to see the images of the classic cast "acting" in new stories!
    Byrne started with screenshots from numerous sources, but mainly from TrekCore.com. Now some thirteen issues in, his mastery of photo-manipulation and library of shots is pretty clean compared to the earlier issues (in the trade editions, those minor snags were cleaned up). In addition, he using software (Strata, I believe) to create clean TOS backgrounds of the bridge, corridors, engineering, transporter room, etc., to place the manipulated actor images into, retaining the "grain" look inherent from the series' images themselves. Some shots of the Enterprise were from the original visual effects shots, some from the '06 remastered images, for example.
    Overall, I'm a fan ... it's just like having TOS back again. With new adventures!.

Son of Quark likes this.
  10. Son of Quark

Wow!!!! I will definitely be getting these then. They sound like they are awesome and it will be like a kid again in the 1970's watching TOS for the first time. You have made my day letting me know about this. Thank you, David.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He's been one of the most respected writers and artists in comics for decades, one of the key creators responsible for making the X-Men a hit in the '70s, and the person responsible for reinventing Superman from scratch in the '80s, as well as doing one of the most acclaimed runs on The Fantastic Four. Like all creators, he has his fans and his detractors, but he's generally considered quite good.

The photomontage art is of mixed quality, sometimes better than others, but Byrne has a good sense of composition and visual storytelling. I think the stories work reasonably well, even if they tend to be too dependent on revisiting characters and locations from TOS episodes (although there are a number of stories that are more original, often relying heavily on CGI locations or aliens). One thing I like about them is how dense they are. They're in the old style of comics where you could have anywhere from 6-9 panels per page and a lot of dialogue, as opposed to the modern, much more decompressed approach of having only a few panels and as little dialogue as possible per page. And the issues are maybe twice as long too. So Byrne packs in a lot more story per issue than the usual IDW comics have.

12. David Strickhouser

Thanks, Christopher. You explained it much better than I did.

13. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

I don't want to dig into it too much since this honestly isn't the place, but just to clarify, he has detractors among the DC/Marvel fandoms for more reasons than thoughts on his writing. It's not just discontent about having made changes to characters.

Paris and David Strickhouser like this.
  14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I could find is October.

16. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

F. King Daniel likes this.
  17. vess

vess Lieutenant Red Shirt

After reading the solicitation from IDW for Boldly Go #3, I believe the initial part of this series will indeed be set between the
    destruction of the Enterprise and launch of the Enterprise-A
    . The text mentions "Captain Kirk and the crew of the U.S.S. Endeavour", as does #2. Solicitation text for #1 doesn't, but that was written before the premiere of the film.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hm. The crew of a wrecked Enterprise going on to serve on a ship called Endeavour. Why does that sound so familiar...?

Enterprise1701, Markonian and Jinn like this.
  19. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Stranger Worlds is the new Green Lantern crossover. Will be interested to see where it goes.

Also I'm looking forward to Boldly Go.

20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Sigh can't the writers leave the future aliens for the future? If the reboot TOS experience everything that was not dealt with until the 24th century where is the fun in that? What next Kirk discovers the Bajoran wormhole and fights the Cardassians as well????