Space-Drill Fight Scene

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BolianAuthor, Mar 6, 2009.

1. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite right. If they'd changed all the names there would be no connection.

The logic or appeal of having a sword fight on a dangling space platform escapes me.

---------------

2. krako

krako Cadet Newbie

If there's enough air to make their parachutes work, wouldn't there be enough air to breathe?

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

To me, it looks like the top two images really aren't all that high off the ground. Hell, drop the Sears tower in the middle of the badlands, and that's probably what the view from the observation deck would look like. I've seen views from popular base-jumping cliffs that afforded similar views, and they weren't nearly so high as to necessitate bottled oxygen or special breathing gear.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, I'll certainly concede that.:lol:

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forget the Sears Tower in Chicago -- that is only 2000 feet above sea level. Denver Colorado is over 5000 feet (one mile) above sea level, and the last time I checked, the people who live there could breathe just fine.

The are many inhabited places in the world that are even higher than Denver, and the people who live in those places can breathe.

The space drill may be less than 10,000 feet up -- and even if it is higher, that doesn't mean that Kirk and Sulu couldn't have been given a "hypo spray" of something to make them breathe easier.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  7. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Ever seen Star Wars?

8. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Because the crew didn't fly to that city in the air, outside of a vehicle, nor did they engage in rigorous physical combat, where you would be breathing rapidly and heavily.

Look, I didn't mean to start a flame war or nothing here. Yes, it's no secret that I dislike the idea of this film, but for me, the lack of breathing aides in this scene was a big red flag for me... I mean, looking at those screencaps, they are ABOVE Vulcan's cloud level... at those altitudes... YES, you would need oxygen to help you breathe, let alone engage in physical activity.

And consider, when you are skydiving, your are still going DOWN, not remaining at one level, so your oxygen becomes more available, as you go further down.

The tri-ox thing is a good explanation, as is the suit helping warm the person. But the fact remains, that they are above cloud level, and THAT was what made me think about it.

And all those of you who blindly worship JJ, just for the sake of his having made new Trek... the FACT remains, that by and large, Trek HAS always made an extremely valiant effort to adhere to at least the spirit and principles of real-world science, whenever it could. That's why Gene Roddenberry had people from the Rand Corporation advising him, as well as people like Mike Okuda, and a whole host of other fellows in the know. That was what gave Trek integrity beyond something purely hokey.

Liking this movie is fine, and it may well be bad-ass... but don't use that to slam down my observation, just because you don't like that I pointed out an inconvenient truth. It was a genuine question.

9. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Ahem... it's a movie.

And one of the few times they are making what looks to be an exciting
    dramatic film without it being bogged down by treknobabble.

10. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

trekkerguy,

Just where CAN I buy a Jesus-fish with warp nacelles? :)

11. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

12. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*hiccup!*

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I'm plenty interested to see the Chris Pine Warp 10 Salamander. :)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work out the warp factor under the TOS scale needed to reproduce Kirk's journey to the center of the galaxy, which as we all know only took a few hours.

14. scotthm

Yes. Is this a Star Wars movie? I've seen that already.

---------------

15. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

So what? What do clouds have to do with anything? Are you implying that there is no oxygen above the clouds? :wtf:

Well, you still have to climb to altitude before you can jump. I've jumped out of planes at 13,000 feet without the need for oxygen. The plane wasn't pressurized and nobody had a problem breathing on the way up. I think oxygen is required at around 20,000 feet.

Sounds to me like you are just nit picking in order to justify your dislike for the movie.

16. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

No, but Star Wars, with its propensity for sword fights in the vicinity of inexplicably located bottomless pits in direct violation of all conceivable Occupational Health & Safety regulations, obviously appeals to a great many people.

17. scotthm

I guess a lot of movies have appealed to a lot of people, but I was kind of hoping for a Star Trek movie this time. Oh well...

At least we haven't seen Jar Jar in the trailers.

---------------

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

kirk certainly did.
    :)

but, what is cloud level.

low level clouds can get below the crest of some mountains.

some clouds are as low as 3,000 feet.

so looking at the photos above yeah the platform is a lot closer to ground then i expected.

20. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

If they're 8,000 feet above a dry Vulcan sea they could be only 5,000 feet above 'sea level' (in Earth terms). Nero could drill anywhere, but he might choose a very low "death valley" type location on Vulcan to make the drilling go a little faster.