Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Great point! +1:bolian:

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

It seems like that is what would be taught on the first day at the Academy.

Core breach=bad

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"Well, look at that! 'Breach hull, all die' - I even had it underlined!"

4. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

According to german side areadvd.de season 4 is scheduled for release in Germany on July 18th.

5. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

That pretty much lines up with what I saw on the Australia section of blu-ray.com. Apparently Paramount have set the release date for Season 4 as July 23 here.

6. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I really hope that the restoration work in the Season 4 trailer measures up to CBS-D standards. I've already skipped season 2, I don't want to skip anymore.

8. FrontierTrek

As I've said at TrekCore, it's looking good to my eyes!

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to your Season 4 coverage. Yeah Season 3 comes out in a few weeks, but it's never too early to start thinking about Season 4. Hell, I'm excited in your report that you linked to that we might get a Braga commentary Track on Sub Rosa. Having commentary tracks on bad episodes is just as, if not more so, valuable than having them on good episodes in my opinion.

10. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rolleyes: Season 2's visual effects restoration may not have been up to the standards of season 1, but they still look many times better compared to SD broadcasts. Furthermore, HTV's remastering of the live action elements can hardly be faulted and the VAM by Lay and Burnett is absolutely fantastic. You're missing out on a lot by skipping season 2.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  11. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

Yes, you are right. He's missing out. Definitely S2 on Bluray is better than S2 on DVD. That is clear. But...

The truth is, however, we all are missing out because of the major HTV screwup.
    The S2 VFX (ship shots, planets etc.) in majority are vastly sub par to the fantastic S1 (and so far looks like) S3 jobs.
    And the reason is not because the original show is old and shots do not hold up, as evidenced by the same footage comparison between S1-S2-S3, but because HTV got greedy, lazy or incompetent.

12. FrontierTrek

Not sure how many German fans are here, but Amazon in Germany have a special edition steelbook version of TNG Season 3 available for pre-order. It looks stunning!

http://amzn.to/ZYSRDE

13. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Greedy? Lazy? Let's not exaggerate. HTV's work is a mixed bag. Some shots look very poor, others look as good as the work done by CBS-D. Overal, the VFX was lacking but it still a huge improvement over the SD versions. And let us not pretend that HTV were the only ones to blame. Dan Curry, the Okudas's and CBS all dropped the ball on that season for not keeping closer tabs on the work being done by HTV. My point is, the season still looks and sounds way better than it has even done and is well worth getting.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

I no longer feel like there's Vaseline smeared on the camera lens when watching season two. That alone made it worth the purchase.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Anticipation is very high at this point..the sheer thought I might get to see these fantastic episodes in HD is making me giddy:lol:

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

And no steelbook for the US. Well, at least we have Best Buy with our Best Buy-only special VAM content. :rolleyes:

17. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

I just can't wait for the set to arrive.
    Considering little more than a year ago, this was considered a pure wishful thinking and sci-fi on its own (remember this will never happen talks), I have still hard tim to believe it is happening.

S1 & S2 are more like...OK cool... but S3, thats where Star Trek started for me. Seeing all those episodes remastered into the superb quality shown by trailers, it is a dream come true.

Here's hoping DS9-R, another dream, will come true as well.

18. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

19. FrontierTrek

I haven't received the full set for review yet, but the material I've seen so far is indescribably beautiful. I'm gonna have a hard time coming up with fresh adjectives to represent the quality I'm seeing from CBS Digital.

20. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only problem with this (and not a dig at your site, which I LOVE), is that you weren't critical on the work of season two until a bit after its release. You often posted about how people were rushing their complaints.

I am someone who isn't going to assume the new company is doing a poor job, but I also won't believe they are doing a good job also until we see footage to judge for ourselves.