Halo 4 & Halo Remastered

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Servo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's 30 MB in size, handily beating out the largest prior patch I knew of on Xbox 360 (the first Assassin's Creed III patch was 17 MB, though the second one was somehow smaller).

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't have Halo 4 yet but I was at my sister's house to play it with her kids and they were setting it up on a new console for the first time and it was ridiculous. You have to install 4 gigabytes onto your hard drive just to play multi-player??? We spent a damn hour trying to get it to work and never did. Even after that excruciating 15 minute download then we couldn't get the gamer profiles to work even though we weren't trying to go on XBL and just play on the console ourselves! WTF!

3. ATimson

Yes. It's up to you to decide whether that's for performance reasons, or so that people can't split out their copy (one person playing SP, one person playing MP).

I'm... rather confused as to what you're talking about here. What 15 minute download? The patch should've been more like a 15 second download. (Well, okay, probably a bit more, but it's only 30 MB.)

And if you never got the second disc to install, what would be the point of monkeying with multiple profiles, since at that point you can't do MP?

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It took 15 minutes to copy the four gigs of disc two onto the hard drive. Then when we tried to start a game, our three controllers didn't work because the gamer profile wouldn't work on the other two. I have no idea how X-Box Live works but we were trying to play the three of us on the same screen.

Do a lot of games do this now? I've never had to a download a game off a disc to play it in my life. The only time I did it, and it was option, was for RAGE because it was supposed to make the load times faster.

5. ATimson

You can't have the same profile signed into multiple controllers. You need to either create other profiles for the other controllers, or play with them as guests. (I think you just hit Start while on the Halo 4 menu to do so - there should be instructions in the upper right, by the "main" profile's gamertag.)

It's the first mandatory install that I can think of (excepting GOTY editions, where the DLC that's now included needs to be installed from disc instead of downloaded from the marketplace). Previous Halo games would cache the maps on the hard drive as they got loaded, though - I can see why they made the technical decision to bite the bullet and have them permanently cached.

That said, I wish that more games would support it (Mass Effect sequels, I'm looking at you) to prevent disc swapping...

6. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Multiplayer or campaign? I ask because you can't have any more than 2 people playing co-op on a single machine.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Multi-player. And we were trying different gamer profiles. They had just bought a new console and things weren't set up, and they were ten years old and I didn't know how it worked so it was the blind leading the blind :lol:

8. Chris3123

The Crimson Map Pack is available now, for the usual price of 800 MS Points.

Link

Also, the new achievements that come with the pack:

Link

9. ATimson

Those descriptions are incomplete; the actual achievements all say "in Crimson DLC matchmaking".

I'm not yet clear on whether that means it has to be on a Crimson map in matchmaking, or using the actual Crimson DLC playlist. I really hope the former.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Isn't the Crimson Pack already available for those who purchased the Collector Edition or am I confusing things?

11. ATimson

People who purchased the Limited Edition will get the Crimson Pack (and the next two map packs) for free, but we don't get them early.

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I got my precioussssss in my hands!!! :D

But can't play until tomorrow... :(

13. Chris3123

Doctor Who reference in one of today's daily challenges.

ETA 12/24:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwrNpC8XnRU[/yt]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So my mom sent me a box of clothes along with a gift receipt... long story short I'm now the proud owner of Halo 4! :lol: I've only finished the first two levels. They're quite long. Turns out we quit in the middle of stage 2, thinking there were checkpoints like in the old games, but when we started the next day we had to start from the beginning of the level! :mad:

15. ATimson

You need to choose Save & Quit, not just dashboard, to get the checkpoint to save. It's a bug that's been present for pretty much the entire series, AFAIK.

16. Chris3123

Yep. Checkpoints aren't permanent saves. They dissapear as soon as you exit the game.

A bug? How so?

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure I did select quit, but it didn't say save... I didn't go to dashboard and I didn't just switch off the console.

18. Chris3123

Oh, I think I know the problem now. You said "we quit", so you were playing co-op, right? If so that's why you couldn't save. You can't save from a checkpoint in co-op.

19. ATimson

You get a screen popup saying that the game saved, but nothing saved to disk. That's a bug in my book. (Especially when you get the exact same text when starting a new level, and it actually saved to disk.)

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm playing co-op. So we have to finish every stage in full then, hunh? Annoying. The old games weren't like that, I've always played co-op.