Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Loken, Nov 19, 2013.

1. PonyHorton

PonyHorton Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, the red light was actually BOTH. In the shooting, a LOT of "Party Red" gel and "Bastard Amber" gel was used in the scene, and later was further red enhanced by Mark Lewis in editing, and this does cause a color change in the transporter elements, creating a very saturated gold-orange look.

Klingon transporters WOULD usually be silent as a matter of tactics; you don't want your enemy aware of you beaming-in until it's too late, but the sound is Ralph Miller's department, so I guess he did things differently.

YOU'RE WELCOME!!! :)

2. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I initially thought Mccoy and Scotty should share a glance when Bones said he wouldn't be around for the 24th century. On reviewing, the camera does actually pause on Mccoy, Scott and Spock, all those that will be around then.

3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Pony, I think separate congratulations air in order for your performance. K'sia was a regal character and I had no trouble seeing him as the tutor to an emperor. Also the fact that he could be brought up short by Spock's reasonable and logical assertion that a "diplomat or tutor might" need medical attention was a very nice touch. Well played, sir!

4. PonyHorton

Mike, you just made my week!
    Regal! WOW!

5. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I have to agree with Mike. Outstanding performance with just the right amount of arrogance that a Klingon would have!

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

If the Phase II guys are running post the way professional TV shows do, it would then make sense that visual effects shots (i.e. the transporter beam-in being discussed) would be dropped into the cut before being locked, or at the very least prior to sound mixing and color-correction, which typically happen toward the end of the post-production cycle on a given episode. Chalk it up to red lighting muting out red beaming effects.

7. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I'm a little late to the party, but i can sum up "Kitumba" in one word: Spectacular! Fleets of Klingon Battle Cruisers (my second-favorite Trek starship), clever plot items pointing to future Trek and the last time for James Cawley as Jim Kirk. This is now my favorite Phase II episode!

8. PonyHorton

That's exactly how we do it, same as any production.

However, there was ONE shot, the shot of Kitumba's castle at dusk (the one with the trees in the FG and Praxis rising over the tower) and I had made that shot very bluish/magenta. By the time it went through the color correction in editing, I felt it was too yellow in the highlights, as I called it, "Piss yellow" and the editor, Mark, was kind enough to allow me to do a CC pass on it to bring a tad closer to the red tones without losing the cooler evening shadows, and he dropped it in intact.

Working with Mark was a joy and a pleasure!!!!! Especially considering I had to re-create EVERY one of my 30-some VFX shots from scratch in some cases, to be clean enough for 2K presentation, and I did it all in less than TWO MONTHS!

9. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

All I can say to that is thanks, Pony.

It looked great, and I really enjoyed your performance as K'sia.

10. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

What Pony forgets to mention is that he also used the "drama delay filter" at a high setting for his (K'Sia's) beam in. We've seen that filter being used in the past on ST:VI when Gorkon beamed in. :lol:

11. RobertMfromLI

Observant! :techman:

12. RobertMfromLI

I think Pony had one of the most difficult roles, because while he had to be a Klingon, he also had to go well beyond the stereotypical Klingon - after all, as noted by others', he's the Kitumba's tutor and advisor. More cultured, not quite less menacing but menace controlled and hidden, and yet still showing the other traits one would expect of Klingons who were a part of a regal house.

I'm glad you and others understood what the character and his performance required. I too think he nailed it. :)

13. RobertMfromLI

I see... have you ever done such work before? We know how we could have done it and we know what method we should do it in order to not overwhelm our post production team.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got around to watching it yesterday. Here are a few things that caught my attention:

The effects, as always, were top notch.

I thought the script could have been tightened up quite a bit. A lot, in fact. It seemed like there was too much standing around talking. If the script had been pared down the episode could have been shortened to a normal tv runtime. I think the "speaking" cast has become a little bloated, with too many secondary (and thirderary--is that a word? It is now ;)) characters inserting comments into conversations. The focus should be on the big three, with Scotty, Chekov, and Uhura supporting.

Where was Sulu?

The Scotty actor does a decent job and looks enough like Doohan, but I'll be dipped if I can understand him most of the time. It sounds like he has marbles in his mouth.

The Xon character is, in my opinion, redundant and unnecessary. No offense to the actor. I just don't see the need for another Vulcan if Spock is there.

I think the young Kirk character is another unnecessary one, just padding the cast.

In the scene where Kirk and company enter the bridge, DeSalle should have immediately stood up before offering his report and relinquishing the conn. He should have at least uncrossed his legs and sat up straight.

Why was the Spock actor not wearing his wig when he beamed down disguised as a Klingon? Now that I think about it, that whole scene was a bit of a stretch for me. When the warlord guy came in and stabbed him it just looked rushed.

As for the Spock actor: something about him doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the interpretation, maybe it's the makeup, maybe it's the fit of the tunic. Not sure.

I don't get what was going on with the Klingon ship bridge. It looked like something thrown together in a hurry, or in some fan's basement.

There is more and I could go on, but I'm no critic. I just know what I like.

One thing though, the regular cast looked tired. Several scenes looked like they were just walking through, trying to get it finished.

Just my opinion, but I think the cast was too heavy with characters that didn't add anything to the story. The script was too long, with way too much back and forth.

That said, the P2 people do an amazing job with no budget and no studio support. I appreciate what they do, and hope that they'll keep going in perpetuity.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The word you're looking for is tertiary. :)

16. urbandefault

I know, but I wasn't looking. ;)

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Actually, I have and I do. I worked in post on a MOW for Sony back in 2010, and then spent most of 2011 in post production on a show for ABC Studios, wherein I learned the ins and outs of modern television post-production. I worked for the writers after that and am now on a different show, again working for the writers.

In other words, I'm quite familiar with the process of television production. :)

As for what you can do, what you should do, and what you actually do, that is of course your business. I was merely trying to point out to others in this thread who might not be familiar with the post production process why the whole Klingon transporter beam snafu might have happened.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just trying to be helpful!

19. urbandefault

I appreciate the effort. Maybe I should be less subtle in my humor. Like this? :guffaw:

20. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Curious about something......

In the past I had spent a lot of time on the Phase II forum and it seemed like a pretty hostile place in relation to the JJverse, the gist I got was that nobody over there by-in-large seemed to care for it, I even think JC himself spoke about how he didn't care for them.

That being said. Why the JJverse reference? I know it was in as a little joke (very little), I didn't think it was particularly funny and it felt out of place. On top of that it took place in an alternate timeline, I'm not sure why it was even referenced.

In fact if you wanted to make that same exact joke they could have just referenced a Piece of the Action instead.