-= The Project =-

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Madkoifish, Aug 30, 2014.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, in spite of your explanation, I don't find that adequate reason to classify all of those different hull configurations as the same class. Even if they do come from the exact same manufacturer, the Lethe is obviously a different class from all of the other designs that you've posted here.

The shuttlecraft looks amazing, even before you added on the hull details and landing thrusters.
    Is it safe for me to assume that those three domes on the ventral are anti-gravity landing/reaction-control thrusters?

2. Madkoifish

Madkoifish Commander Red Shirt

It is because I say it is, and because I made the ships not any other reason to dismiss that beyond that explanation. Just because you do not agree does not alter this as a fact. I see no reason to extrapolate my reasoning further on something decided some 8 years ago.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

JES is correct. Having ships of wildly differing configuration makes them different classes. If they are the same class, and yet totally different configurations (regardless of component compatibility), then it makes the very idea of having classes meaningless. Indeed, why would there be different configurations if they are all intended for the same mission profile? If they are for different mission profiles then they will need to be outfitted differently (which they seem to be) and therefore, became distinctive classes.

The whole reason to have classes is to streamline fleet planning (the admiralty should know what each class of ship is suited for) and the streamline repair and maintenance (the same classes would have similar equipment requirements.) So having ships that do widely varying tasks would lend themselves to being considered as separate classes.

Having said all that, if you want to ignore the long standing logic of how and what ships classes are that is your prerogative, but there's no need to get all titchy about it. But remember that ideas don't become correct and accepted just because they are eight years old. I'll leave it at that before I get overly philosophical.

--Alex

4. Madkoifish

I am not getting titchy about anything. I stated a fact of a decision I made and that is it. I am not here to argue about or justify something I decided to put on some image 8 years ago. It contributes nothing to the ship or the project as it is now.

BTW to clarify the ship I am working on now is a REBUILD of those older ships. Least the main one the LETHE. JES' comment could be read that the new model is a related ship. It is not, just in-case this is the concern.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  5. JES

And here I was going to say that there would be no problem what-so-ever if the other two related designs were just related, but different classes, like the Galaxy and Nebula classes. In my mind, having the three ships be the same class just causes my OCD head, well headaches, since they still seem so different to me.

But it seems clear that you've made up your mind, and I've made up mine, I think it just best to agree to disagree, and leave it at that. The last thing I want is an antagonism to develop between the two of us.

And I was assuming that the newer ship was related, and was a refit/upgrade of the Potamos class. Not the least because she has the name Lethe in the image file name, but also because her configuration and shape looks the same, and it appears that half of her components are virtually identical.

6. Madkoifish

no, no, the older models are retcon, the new model is a redo of the ship as the old files are semi corrupt due to being 6 versions old and have not fared well in max 2013. They are also clunky as hell and built with a materials system that does not work with my current workflow.

That is the whole idea of this project is to UPDATE all the models and to get a cohesive flow among them, hence the project. And also to fill in gaps like the shuttle.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  7. JES

Oh, so it isn't an upgrade, so much as a replacement. The older models no longer "exist", and the newer models are supposed to show what you really want them to look like?

8. Madkoifish

Yeah, not really how I want them to look but a new face to make them align better with other newer models I have made from this era. Most if not all my stuff does not fit in universe 100%. That and in 8 years tastes change. I did stuff then I wouldn't do now.

No new updates as I have been busy with other things in my free time but I should be back at this in a few days I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearly something is wrong with the endcaps so I have to inspect that as I suspect something got bumped or some material ID got jacked up, hence those bright materials. The leaks of lum mats are all due to compromises in render set up for speed during WIP passes.

Also ignore that butt end I am planning to axe that area and clean it up.

9. Madkoifish

Some more small changes to the butt end. I decided to nix the windows above the torps even though I did clear enough room for a 10ft room or so due to having that phaser turret above it. Just too much crap in that area to justify a room being there next to a phaser control station and the torp machinery. So instead some sort of gubbins will go there instead I suppose.

[​IMG]
    hatch and some sort of plating doodads for the torp control whatevers.
    [​IMG]
    Distrance shot to sorta show how the changes affect the ship as a whole. . . sorta. . . .

10. Madkoifish

NIPPLES!!!

[​IMG]

Ok in the end I stuck to the old spheres with holes in sorta. Plan is to have a arm assembly cut into the sphereish shape and to have it cut into a grommet that sits on the hull or in the hull. It depends how I deal with the base element as I want all of this stuff as modular as I can. Then it is just a simple plug and play vs building custom baskets for each location or mount. While a lot of the bits in the image is all square I would have liked to make holes round with nozzles etc but when the hell would I ever get that close to a phaser nipple. Likely NEVER exp on these ships. So I think the poly depth I have included should do maybe be overkill when it really comes down to it. Again ignore the base as it is just there to give the material something to play with. Also note I re-included a false environment that is just a spherical gradient to my chromeball to give FG and MR something to work with. The colour, I dunno yet if I will go with the yellow balls and square bases, hell I might not even go with the square bases.

[COLOR="#00FF00"]
    Ok adding this image vs posting again as it just adds the mechanical bits and some stuff.
    Nipple at rest.
    [/COLOR]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  11. Albertese

Looks great! I love the phaser turret and the shuttlebay lighting is excellent.

--Alex

12. JES

It is details such as this that makes me think that you should always do closeup renders of your ships after they are done, and as you delete the WIPs (or just keep up the WIPs for posterity).

13. Madkoifish

Yeah, I wish I could find a stable host who doesn't start off all peaches and creme and turn into clotted milk and canine bowel movements. ATM I am using my wp blog so I do not anticipate any issues related to the images unless WP changes policies suddenly or drastically.

Most of the deep detail is done for those shots where the ship is in steep perspective. Mostly it is part of that JUST IN CASE scenario that I will animate it or do some really close up or modified shots that req the extra stuff.

I DO though need to sit down and do comps more often. I tend to favor the modeling over the rendering stuff though.

UPDATE

A Pair

[​IMG]

Some shots of them placed on the saucer. The single turret housing is similar but I didn't render out anything worth posting for that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Madkoifish

Not much of an update worked on this a few days ago and got the phaser interrupt in (ring to create a path int he shields or whatever you might want to think the ring is) This took longer than expected as I had originally stopped it on the front loop it looked bad and did not make sense. I did this mostly to avoid being restricted when it came to the registry but then decided BAH.

[​IMG]
    Next image shows the planning stages of the hull plating. I do not think I will keep it a simple grid but follow what I have done in the last few years for grids. IE the re re connie and Thanatos.

[​IMG]

Slow progress as I have had little inspiration to work on this. I dunno when I will get back to 3d so I dunno how often updates will come. Guess it is finding the mojo again? lol.

15. JES

That is just Bee-uu-tee-ful work!
    And yeah, I've been on-off with projects before too. Usually because I can't figure out how I can bring it any further at the moment, and it is just going so slowly.

16. Madkoifish

Dunno it is more like taking out the trash. I know what I want to do with it, just lacking the will to do it and push through. I have though ahd that issue of durrr wot next, stare at the model and spin it about in viewport not knowing where to go next. Mostly that occurs when I am just winging it on a model. Which is quite often as hobby work I will do so as the risk of it going south is not going to affect anything beyond it being an ugly model. :D

Anyhow working on this as my shoulder is acting up again and all the reaching for boxes or other stuff I have been up to just aggravates it the PC means I can let the desk take the weight! genius. hah least the forums get fed this way.

Roughed out grids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it is either go about adding all the details or move down and cut more hull. There will be a video later. JUST atm it is only some 25min long rt, so I'm looking to get enough up for a 15 or 20 min FFD video.

Oh I guess I should clarify here as I have never posted one, sometimes I do videos of me modeling sessions and post it on youturd. NOW as I run a 3 lcds set up and run 1920X1200 screens you have to choose the 1440p option to get a un-molested version as youturd resampling is bloody horrible. I will though have to see what code is needed to embed video here as I see things like colour text and what not is turned off and well over 4 forums so far neither uses the same video code. Even though they all run the SAME base code. Ok rambling time to get back to modeling.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Madkoifish/
    if you want to look at the older videos etc. It is mostly some FEW animations I have done as tests and 3d and 2d sessions.

17. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice to see your artwork Madkoifish. Always fun to watch you works in progress :)

18. Madkoifish

Well that is it for youtube. SUDDENLY I cannot upload a 17min video as they SAY it is TOO LONG and I have to verify my account. I have multiple 2+ hour videos upoaded. So they just up and decided they need some free profit and in another attempt to harvest cel numbers to do with what they please, so they take away what they have given and you have to pay them their ransom to get it back.
    To verify the account they WANT my cel number to text me or call and welp NO I will NOT. They do not need my cel number nor require it.

I am not sure if I will wipe the account or not so watch what you can now for it will likely all be removed in time.

19. Albertese

Looking great! This ship a beauty.

I'm sorry to hear about your privacy woes with YouTube. I, too, dislike giving out personal info to such things. I feel your pain.

--Alex

20. Madkoifish

Oh boy I typed up this whole thing about RAGE and decided to just erase it. Least to say this youturd thing is one of many WTFH moments with google of late. It makes all the rage people have with MS seem trivial. Lets say this, I have come very close to considering dumping my s5 and paying the contract off to go Windows phone. UGH

Google maps is a prime example of something that was GOOD that has gone bad, festering worm infested dog feces gone all white and hit with a mower turned white cloud and inhaled BAD.

Below is a small update to at least make this post worth while. HAH. Most of the free time I had today got eaten up by insurance rage and wot you say phonecalls with ESL speakers. (audio compression is so bad it turns the accent into MUSH.) I have rep as being able to understand the worst of accents but when it sounds like fish speak it is a whole ball of WTF.
    ANYHOOOOO fff

Not that big of an update but last nights lower saucer grids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wireframe to show the cheat I used to eliminate the segmentation without having to rebuild all the detail work.

[​IMG]