Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, actually, since he'd already transferred his katra, um, uploaded all of his memory files and behavioral subroutines to B-4, and some of that programming was already starting to assert itself at the end of Nemesis, it really wouldn't take all that much for Data's files to assume control over B-4's neural net and, voila, Data's back.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, I forgot about ATfW,ATfP and Nem. I meant chronologically.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Nah, it's how to rebuild Janeway for less than six bars of gold-pressed latinum.

I did think about including O'Brien, but because DS9 hadn't caught up with the rest of the line yet, I figured it was safer not to, for fear of continuity screw-ups

4. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

We have the technology. We can make her better than she was. Better. Stronger. More raspy-voiced. Kathryn Janeway is... The Six Latinum-Bar Woman.

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Get out of my head!

6. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Cast No Shadow sounds good, I too have really wanted to see more of Valeris. But what's happened to those YA Abramsverse books? :confused:

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nothing. They're still on the schedule for November 2010 and January 2011. The ST Magazine announcement is for the 2011 schedule, and it does mention the January YA title (as seen here at TrekMovie), but I assume that wasn't mentioned in this thread because it wasn't new information.

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is DTI?

9. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

Department of Temporal Investigation

10. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

Yet again, there seems to be no DS9 relaunch novel.

How the mighty have fallen:p.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, we did get two last year and one thing year, so it's not that bad.

Oh, and as Christopher pointed out in his post some of the info is now up at Trek movie.

12. Dark Dreamer

Dark Dreamer Ensign Newbie

I'm dissappointed that there is no DS9 on the list. I was hoping that the DS9 relaunch would be back on track and moving forward after Rough Beasts of Empire.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad there's going to be a reprint of the First Romulan war novel.And that comment by Micheal about the next novel delveing into Vulcan Mythology definitely sounds like a continuation of the season 4 Vulcan arc from the tv series.

14. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Alas, yes, though perhaps we'll feel differently after reading Rough Beasts ;)

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read the short synopsis for this book and it mentions Sisko's flashbacks of the Tzenkethi war.It looks like we'll finally get the backstory of the events when Sisko served on the Okinowa.

16. flemm

For that reason I won't be surprised if the story feels fairly insular with regard to what we have seen previously in the DS9-R, while perhaps focusing only on Sisko's past and his current isolation.

The situation is a bit awkward due to the fact that DS9 stories can affect large chunks of the alpha quadrant and the entire gamma quadrant (since that's where we left Odo), thus potentially causing all kinds of continuity issues with everything else that is going on post-Destiny.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I'm growing a little disappointed with Pocket's scheduling decisions (both this year and upcoming in 2011). Granted, I can understand how the behind-the-scenes editorial shakeups and the abrupt cancellation/delay of the four ST'09 tie-in novels kinda threw a wrench in their plans. Still, I'm a little bummed about the next 18 months or so of Trek lit. I'm eagerly waiting for the four Typhon Pact books to finally arrive. After that? Not much on my radar... VOY: Children of the Storm is the only guaranteed buy. I'm curious about both Indistinguishable From Magic and DTI: Watching the Clock, but I'll wait to hear more about these titles before I decide to read them.

Really bummed that the DS9 relaunch has essentially come to a stand-still. The momentum of a great series is now completely lost, and I really don't think the time jump in Rough Beasts of Empire will do it any favors.

18. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More?! :p

Goes back to working on FAQ... *typetypetypetype*

19. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

Apropos the gamma quadrant:

The lack of a planned follow-up for DS9 relaunch makes it quite clear that 'rough beasts of empire' will only treat with the the romulan plot. It's a one-shot, essentially. And delving into the dominion situation would only have been done if there were plans for a follow-up.

About the book I have not yet formed an opinion.

About the series - nothing in the book can change the neglect bestowed upon DS9 relaunch. Consequently, changing its 'how the mighty have fallen', 'has-been' status is quite impossible:lol:.

20. flemm

I agree that seems likely, though there might be some indication of future plans in Rough Beasts.

I don't think the "season 9" storylines that were taking shape in the Worlds trilogy are likely to come to fruition, but there is always the possibility that the DS9-R will catch a second wind at some point.

Or, failing that, perhaps it is time to break up the DS9 crew and get them involved in the other books, as has already happened in the case of a few DS9 characters. This wouldn't be my first choice, but if it has become impractical to continue telling DS9 stories with everything else that is going on, the rest of the characters at least should be salvaged.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010