The Complete Comic Book Collection DVD worth it?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sky, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

I remember loving the DC comics Trek stuff in the late 80's and I've long wanted to read all the TOS comics that exist. There's this DVD collection available on Amazon, but it includes the other series as well, is a DVD-ROM so perhaps in a clumsy reading format, and the shop selling it via Amazon US does not exactly ship to where I'm at. So I'm wondering - should I make the effort to get it?

Or are there handy ways to get all the TOS era comics in their original printed format? I haven't seem then as ebooks or anything.

somebuddyX likes this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hell Yes. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

The comics are in PDF files with no DRM. Pretty easy to read on my PC and tablet.

somebuddyX likes this.
  3. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Oh they're PDF's? That's excellent. I was afraid they were embedded in some win / mac software. PDF's I can read on my tablet instead of the computer.

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. An awesome investment.

somebuddyX likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely worth it!! One of the most worthwhile Trek purchases of all, I'd say.

Although "complete" is a bit of a stretch. There are none of the old UK comic strips (very similar in style to Gold Key's Trek) or the L.A. Times comic strip. Both of which were available online (legally!) when I got my DVD but I think have since been taken down.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in the UK, and was able to get it via an Amazon Marketplace seller on the US Amazon site (thanks to advice from the good people here!)

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it is called The Complete Comic Book Collection, not The Complete Comics Collection.

Although the DVD is missing a few things, specifically the Marvel Trek/X-Men crossovers (which I assume they couldn't get the rights for) and the Klingon-language edition of Starfleet Academy #17 (which is listed in the contents but not actually on the DVD as far as i can find). And of course it doesn't have any of the IDW or TokyoPop comics. But aside from those, I think it has everything up through 2001.

The LA Times strip has recently been released in book form in 2 volumes.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The second volume is actually due out today, as a matter of fact.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That's about as recent as it gets. ;)

10. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's probably just about the best Star Trek product ever released, and incredible value. You've got months of Star Trek reading there for the price of a single (higher end) book!

somebuddyX likes this.
  11. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Ditto to everything everyone above me said. It's an excellent collection. Now that I have a 9" tablet, I'll have to actually start reading them!

- Byron

12. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely worth picking up, no question!

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, the strips were taken down when the book deal was actually secured. (And some of the poorer-reproduction strips were able to be replaced by better ones for the books.) And Rich Handley has provided source material, research and the introductions for the books.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely get it. It's probably one of my favorite Trek purchases I've ever made. The quality of the comics is good, and it's gotta be cheaper and easier than trying to track down physical versions of a lot of the old comics. I think there is probably some stuff on here that's never been collected before.

15. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I got the complete US and UK strips from him on CD years ago. He put in an incredible amount of work putting them together, and I was very happy to be able to get them - a fantastic value too.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Me too, although people offered him better quality replacements for some of the strips, which is what ended up on the website, and then even better ones came along for the book.

17. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't really add too much more to what people here have already said, but yes -- this DVD-ROM is a fabulous release, even at a $40 price-point. What I really love is that it reprints each issue (DC, Marvel, Gold Key) in its entirety, ads, lettercolumns and all; the latter being particularly valuable for insight into what the Powers-That-Were and the fans were thinking during those years.

You'll save much headache from hunting down individual issues either online or in comic book shops with this collection -- every issue is printable, as well.

18. Plaristes

Plaristes Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

$40? I bought mine new off of amazon for $6!

19. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Only thing I would add is that I personally find it a little frustrating reading them as PDFs due to the amount of scrolling needed (especially since I read them pretty zoomed in). But that's a really, really, really small complaint for an otherwise fantastic product.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The PDF's work great when reading on a tablet in portrait mode. :techman: